A Fortran compiler is the hobgoblin of little minis.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

SubjectAuthor
* How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access poAndy Burnelli
+- Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting toAlan
`* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi accesnospam
 `* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi accesAndy Burnelli
  +* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi accesnospam
  |`* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when*Hemidactylus*
  | `* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi accesAndy Burnelli
  |  +- Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting toHank Rogers
  |  `- Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when*Hemidactylus*
  `* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting toAlan
   `* Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi accesnospam
    `- Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi accesAndy Burnelli

1
How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<t4s4v9$13a9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10162&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10162

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:57:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 20:57 UTC

--
Usenet is where friendly people daily gather to discuss topics of interest.

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<t4s7ra$7fl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10164&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10164

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to
Wi-Fi access points?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 14:46:16 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:46 UTC

On 2022-05-03 1:57 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi
> access points?

Easily:

'Join Wi-Fi networks with a private address

Connect to Wi-Fi networks like you normally do. A private address
doesn't affect how you join or use most Wi-Fi networks, but if a network
doesn’t allow your device to join, or doesn’t allow it further network
or internet access after joining, you can turn off Private Address for
that network.

Turn Private Address off or on for a network

Private Address is turned on by default. For improved privacy, leave it
on for all networks that support it.

<https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211227>

And:

'Connecting to a previously known network

When a device connects to a network that it remembers connecting to
before upgrading to iOS 14 or later, iPadOS 14 or later, or watchOS 7 or
later:

It tries to connect using the private address.

If it can't connect because the organization's Wi-Fi network doesn't
allow a device to join using a private address, it immediately tries to
connect using its hardware MAC address.

During this time, and until the device successfully connects using the
private address:

The Private Address setting remains off for that network in Settings.

The device continues to try to connect using the private address. If it
fails, it continues to use the hardware MAC address.

After the device successfully connects using a private address, that MAC
address is used for future connections to that Wi-Fi network. Exceptions:

Starting with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and watchOS 8, if the device hasn’t
joined the network in 6 weeks, it uses a different private address the
next time it joins the network.

If the device is made to forget the network, it will also forget the
private address it used with that network, unless it has been less than
2 weeks since the last time it was made to forget that network.'

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<030520221755122331%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10165&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10165

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 17:55:12 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:55 UTC

In article <t4s4v9$13a9$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi
> access points?

by randomizing it. duh.

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<t4sdcv$1it$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10167&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10167

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 00:21:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 3 May 2022 23:21 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi
>> access points?
>
> by randomizing it. duh.

What's the seed?

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<030520221949122713%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10169&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10169

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 19:49:12 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 3 May 2022 23:49 UTC

In article <t4sdcv$1it$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> What's the seed?

apple seed.

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<t4sf7n$o9s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10171&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10171

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Wi-Fi access points?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 16:52:23 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 3 May 2022 23:52 UTC

On 2022-05-03 4:21 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi
>>> access points?
>>
>> by randomizing it. duh.
>
> What's the seed?

Did you ask that question about Android?

I don't recall you doing so.

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<030520222000001582%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10173&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10173

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 20:00:00 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 4 May 2022 00:00 UTC

In article <t4sf7n$o9s$1@dont-email.me>, Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com> wrote:

> >> by randomizing it. duh.
> >
> > What's the seed?
>
> Did you ask that question about Android?
>
> I don't recall you doing so.

that's because android is genetically engineered to be seedless.

only apple's have seeds.

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<t4tsm0$1sbt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10181&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10181

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 13:48:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:48 UTC

nospam wrote:

>>> What's the seed?
>>
>> Did you ask that question about Android?
>>
>> I don't recall you doing so.
>
> that's because android is genetically engineered to be seedless.
>
> only apple's have seeds.

The ignorance of the child-like low-IQ no education iKooks knows no bounds.
*All iOS 14 devices have randomization enabled by default*
*as well as Android 10 devices*
<https://cujo.com/mac-address-randomization/>
"This means that MAC randomization is quickly becoming the de facto
standard in the mobile networking industry."

Moving forward with _adult_ discussions, the randomization of MAC addresses
on Android is network based (per SSID), where I was asking whether iOS
currently randomizes MAC addresses based on the SSID or not.
<https://d1rytvr7gmk1sx.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/randome.jpg?>
<https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization-behavior>

To dig deeper into what you uneducated iKooks are completely ignorant of
"Not all MAC randomization protocols are the same. They depend on the
manufacturer and the 802.11 chipset a device uses. Randomization
techniques have also changed over time, but usually, MAC addresses
randomize as a device probes new networks around it."
<https://cujo.com/mac-address-randomization/>

Delving further into what you low-IQ iKooks are unable to ever comprehend
"Apple devices make up almost 30% of all mobile devices in the US.
MAC (called Wi-Fi address) randomization was available on all iOS devices
starting from iOS 8 but was OFF by default. I should note that Apple had
left some leaks which tracking companies quickly made good use of:
iOS devices were transmitting their global MAC addresses without
connecting to Wi-Fi networks first."

It looks like Apple followed Android's privacy lead in iOS 14 _beta_ ...
"We saw drastic changes in Apple�s approach when testing the beta version
of iOS 14, as it randomized MAC addresses daily for every network,
even the user�s home Wi-Fi network."

But wait... Apple did what in the iOS 14 official release???
"Apple reconsidered its aggressive approach as MAC randomization on
the official iOS 14 release is less aggressive than in the beta.
iPhones randomize their MAC addresses for each network, but only
do that once unless the user decides to forget a network.
An unforeseen caveat is that an iPhone or iPad connected to the
same network on different bands (2.4 and 5 GHz) still shows up
as two different devices based on MAC addresses."

That has implications for privacy, given this next sentence:
"CUJO AI solves these issues without using MAC addresses,
successfully iOS identifying devices on a network
with over 94% accuracy within the first 5 minutes."
--
It's telling that you can ask the _same_ question on the adult operating
system newsgroups as on the Apple newsgroups - and the response tells you

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<FaKdnQ_R0KzBE-__nZ2dnUU7-K_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10184&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10184

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when
connecting to Wi-Fi access points?
From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 09:31:56 -0500
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Wed, 4 May 2022 14:31 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <t4sdcv$1it$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
> <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's the seed?
>
> apple seed.

Here’s Johnny.

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<t4uj6b$vrs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10186&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10186

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 20:12:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 4 May 2022 19:12 UTC

*Hemidactylus* wrote:

>>> What's the seed?
>>
>> apple seed.
>>
> Here�s Johnny.

Why is it only the Apple operating system newsgroups which are so childish?

Notwithstanding that on the _adult_ operating system newsgroups, the same
questions were asked, which intelligent people responded to, for some
reason, the Apple newsgroups are always filled with kindergarten responses.

Even so, a pertinent _adult_ question is whether iOS can randomize not only
per network, but per connection (i.e., a new MAC address on every connect)?
<https://i.postimg.cc/Rh87RNrV/macaddr02.jpg> Random MAC on every connect

And what seed Apple uses for the per-network & per-connect randomization?
--
Sometimes on Usenet you can find people who know more than you do...

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<qADcK.708557$LN2.697059@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10191&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10191

Wi-Fi access points?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 18:00:33 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 4 May 2022 23:00 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

>>> apple seed.
>>>
>> Here¢s Johnny.
>
> Why is it only the Apple operating system newsgroups which are so
> childish?

Some day you'll get arrested if you keep stalking children.

You're a grown man. Shame on you. Goddamn child molester!

Re: How does iOS handle MAC address randomization when connecting to Wi-Fi access points?

<5IqdnXMDX7aKOuj_nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10213&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10213

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
connecting to Wi-Fi access points?
From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 17:54:15 -0500
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Fri, 6 May 2022 22:54 UTC

Andy Burnelli <spam@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> apple seed.
>>>
>> Hereขs Johnny.
>
> Why is it only the Apple operating system newsgroups which are so childish?
>
> Notwithstanding that on the _adult_ operating system newsgroups, the same
> questions were asked, which intelligent people responded to, for some
> reason, the Apple newsgroups are always filled with kindergarten responses.
>
> Even so, a pertinent _adult_ question is whether iOS can randomize not only
> per network, but per connection (i.e., a new MAC address on every connect)?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/Rh87RNrV/macaddr02.jpg> Random MAC on every connect
>
> And what seed Apple uses for the per-network & per-connect randomization?

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.