From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Synth and git and updating
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:09:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 17:09 UTC

So until git happened I was updating my applications
by updating ports,
then synth prepare-system,
then pkg upgrade -R synth
with a check for particular programs I might want to postpone.

When git happened I created a /usr/ports/pregit
from the old /usr/ports
and a /usr/ports/git for the new version.

But what is the command line to get new ports now?

In the meantime I've just been running off pkg update
which only handles the remote repository but I think I'm
now outdated on OS for that (will upgrade there too).

(There's a particular program that I want to get some old-version
stuff with done before I get the new version that the system would
force on me if I upgraded various other things...but I do need
to proceed).

-=-=-

Re: Synth and git and updating

<skfkf5$2bde$45@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=102&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#102

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Synth and git and updating
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:41:41 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 22:41 UTC

In article <skf10u$j4s$4@reader1.panix.com>,
Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>So until git happened I was updating my applications
>by updating ports,
>then synth prepare-system,
>then pkg upgrade -R synth
>with a check for particular programs I might want to postpone.
>
>When git happened I created a /usr/ports/pregit
>from the old /usr/ports
>and a /usr/ports/git for the new version.
>
>But what is the command line to get new ports now?
>
>In the meantime I've just been running off pkg update
>which only handles the remote repository but I think I'm
>now outdated on OS for that (will upgrade there too).

install net/gitup and look up gitup in freebsd.org .

>(There's a particular program that I want to get some old-version
>stuff with done before I get the new version that the system would
>force on me if I upgraded various other things...but I do need
>to proceed).
>
>-=-=-
>The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Alberta on 18 Oct vote no to the referenda and stop the UCP/CPC and NDP municipally! Beware https://mindspring.com

Re: Synth and git and updating

<sl4a99$1c9$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=103&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#103

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:56:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:56 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <skf10u$j4s$4@reader1.panix.com>,
> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>So until git happened I was updating my applications
>>by updating ports,
>>then synth prepare-system,
>>then pkg upgrade -R synth
>>with a check for particular programs I might want to postpone.
>>
>>When git happened I created a /usr/ports/pregit
>>from the old /usr/ports
>>and a /usr/ports/git for the new version.
>>
>>But what is the command line to get new ports now?
>>
>>In the meantime I've just been running off pkg update
>>which only handles the remote repository but I think I'm
>>now outdated on OS for that (will upgrade there too).
>>

> install net/gitup and look up gitup in freebsd.org .

I have a /usr/local/bin/gitup but I'm not clear on just what
I have to enter to get the current ports tree and have
synth prepare-system apply it from where I have it.
>>(There's a particular program that I want to get some old-version
>>stuff with done before I get the new version that the system would
>>force on me if I upgraded various other things...but I do need
>>to proceed).
>>
>>-=-=-
>>The World Trade Center towers MUST rise again,
>>at least as tall as before...or terror has triumphed.

Re: Synth and git and updating

<sloufm$mmg$72@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=105&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc#105

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:44:06 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:44 UTC

In article <sl4a99$1c9$1@reader1.panix.com>,
Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>> In article <skf10u$j4s$4@reader1.panix.com>,
>> Louis Epstein <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>>>So until git happened I was updating my applications
>>>by updating ports,
>>>then synth prepare-system,
>>>then pkg upgrade -R synth
>>>with a check for particular programs I might want to postpone.
>>>
>>>When git happened I created a /usr/ports/pregit
>>>from the old /usr/ports
>>>and a /usr/ports/git for the new version.
>>>
>>>But what is the command line to get new ports now?
>>>
>>>In the meantime I've just been running off pkg update
>>>which only handles the remote repository but I think I'm
>>>now outdated on OS for that (will upgrade there too).
>>>

>> install net/gitup and look up gitup in freebsd.org .
>
>I have a /usr/local/bin/gitup but I'm not clear on just what
>I have to enter to get the current ports tree and have
>synth prepare-system apply it from where I have it.

IIRC, the FreeBSD handbook has detail of gitup.

Here is my

/usr/local/etc/gitup.conf

# $FreeBSD$
# # Default configuration options for gitup.conf.
{ "defaults" : {
"host" : "git.freebsd.org",
"port" : 443,
"verbosity" : 1,
"work_directory" : "/var/db/gitup",
},

"ports" : {
"host" : "github.com",
"repository" : "/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git",
"branch" : "main",
"target" : "/usr/ports",
"ignores" : [
"distfiles",
"packages",
],
},

"quarterly" : {
"host" : "github.com",
"repository" : "/freebsd/freebsd-ports.git",
"branch" : "quarterly",
"target" : "/usr/ports",
"ignores" : [
"distfiles",