From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: [ G is not provable in F ]
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 15:44:58 -0600
<tp80cd$2vit8$1@dont-email.me>
<b2f2ff9f-c2e3-4610-b18f-b7ac91bf86fen@googlegroups.com>
<tp9kg5$37c55$1@dont-email.me> <cZYtL.241713$vBI8.25643@fx15.iad>
<tp9nv1$37n8h$1@dont-email.me> <7SZtL.241715$vBI8.55393@fx15.iad>
<tp9q9e$380cv$1@dont-email.me> <Wt_tL.204188$gGD7.129404@fx11.iad>
<tp9sm2$388gr$1@dont-email.me>
<a97251d7-be45-4ccc-bbbc-e92417fefdf3n@googlegroups.com>
<tpa36t$38r0k$2@dont-email.me> <Fu0uL.535379$GNG9.291701@fx18.iad>
 by: olcott - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 21:44 UTC

On 1/6/2023 3:35 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 1/6/23 4:18 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> "Also: Truthmaker theory is part of philosophy of language, not
>>> formal logic per se, and you do not even appear to understand it 'as
>>> is'."
>>

>> I am creating/discovering the elemental nature of analytical truth
>> itself. This is an overarching idea that applies all all ideas, thus not
>> limited to any specific subject domain.
>>
>> When I say {truth maker} I mean the semantic connection from an
>> analytical expression of language to the key natural language axioms
>> that make this expression true.
>>

> Which means you have the theory BACKWARDS, as the connections flow FROM
> the axioms of the system TO the statement to be decided.

When proving that {cats} <are> {living things}
and we only know that
{cats} <are> {animals}
{animals} <are> {living things}
we must start with {cats} <are> {living things}
and work backwards, every automated theorem prover works this way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_chaining

--
Copyright 2022 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: [ G is not provable in F ]

<V%0uL.241726$vBI8.142080@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10209&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10209

Subject: Re: [ G is not provable in F ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
<tpa4oq$38r0k$5@dont-email.me>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 17:11:03 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:11 UTC

On 1/6/23 4:44 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/6/2023 3:35 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> I am creating/discovering the elemental nature of analytical truth
>>> itself. This is an overarching idea that applies all all ideas, thus not
>>> limited to any specific subject domain.
>>>
>>> When I say {truth maker} I mean the semantic connection from an
>>> analytical expression of language to the key natural language axioms
>>> that make this expression true.
>>>

>> Which means you have the theory BACKWARDS, as the connections flow
>> FROM the axioms of the system TO the statement to be decided.
>>
> When proving that {cats} <are> {living things}
> and we only know that
> {cats} <are> {animals}
> {animals} <are> {living things}
> we must start with {cats} <are> {living things}
> and work backwards, every automated theorem prover works this way.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_chaining

Nope, not one MUST, but one can.

Note, "Back Chaining" works primarily is simpler systems.

As I remember, it is really mostly usable in First Order logic system
(which seems to be the only ones you understand).