From: nospam.J...@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Ping Replies & Packet Passwords
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 16:11:13 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 04:11 UTC

Hi g00r00,

I've noticed that if I have a point setup off of my main node (usually for
testing purposes) and send a ping netmail from the point, the main node will
respond but not include the packet password in it's response.

The point will then put the .pkt into the bad directory as the password doesn't
match.

I've only tried this with points, not sure if the behaviour is the same for any
node (point or not) with a direct link.

Jay

.... What kind of shorts to clouds wear? Thunderwear!

Ping Replies & Packet Passwords

<1304418475@f1384.n640.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1025&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1025

From: nospam....@f1384.n640.z3.fidonet.org (joe)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 07:22:38 +1200
 by: joe - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 19:22 UTC

Hi! Jay,

On 02 Mar 2022, Jay Harris said the following...

JH> I've only tried this with points, not sure if the behaviour is the same
JH> for any node (point or not) with a direct link.

Man, am I glad you asked first! I thought it was just my systwm, of two Mystic
A47s. The main node is acting the same way as yours.

Cheers,
Paul.

Re: Ping Replies & Packet Passwords

<674720961@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1026&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1026

From: nospam.g...@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: Ping Replies & Packet Passwords
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 13:42:12 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 01:42 UTC

JH> I've noticed that if I have a point setup off of my main node (usually
JH> for testing purposes) and send a ping netmail from the point, the main
JH> node will respond but not include the packet password in it's response.

I just took a quick look and you're right. I completely forgot about PKT
passwords in PING responses. This is what I call an epic fail! :)

I'll fix it up in the next A48 build.

Thanks!

.... How is it possible to have a civil war?