From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Alternatives for Google Groups users
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 08:31:43 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 07:31 UTC

This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
newsgroup using Google Groups. Please ignore it, if you use another
service.

I post it again, so it shows up first when people read via GG after
Google depeerd.

Google will discontinue Usenet in Google Groups tomorrow.

For those who do not know Usenet:

Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
here.

There are 2 alternatives:

Using a web-based Usenet interface:
Those behave similar to Google Groups, you can read there, but for
posting you need to register an account for free.

One of them is:
https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mail.sendmail

Another alternative is to use an NNTP server with a so called
newsreader.

As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
https://www.eternal-september.org/
https://solani.org/
https://www.i2pn2.org/

For using it, you need a newsreader.

Some examples are:
https://www.thunderbird.net
https://www.betterbird.eu/
https://claws-mail.org/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
called NNTP.

For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
settings.

For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
the group news.software.readers.

Re: Alternatives for Google Groups users

<ur526f$2col$8@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=965&group=comp.mail.sendmail#965

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: Alternatives for Google Groups users
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:43:27 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:43 UTC

In article <ur48sv$306jf$3@dont-email.me>,
Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
>This is only relevant for those people who read or post in that
>newsgroup using Google Groups. Please ignore it, if you use another
>service.
>
>I post it again, so it shows up first when people read via GG after
>Google depeerd.
>
>Google will discontinue Usenet in Google Groups tomorrow.
>
>For those who do not know Usenet:
>
>Usenet is a distributed communication system consisting of many servers.
>Google Groups is only one of them that closes down - other servers will
>stay available, but people need to use another server to read and post
>here.
>
>There are 2 alternatives:
>
>Using a web-based Usenet interface:
>Those behave similar to Google Groups, you can read there, but for
>posting you need to register an account for free.
>
>One of them is:
>https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mail.sendmail
>
>Another alternative is to use an NNTP server with a so called
>newsreader.
>
>As an NNTP server, some free services exist where you have to register:
>https://www.eternal-september.org/
>https://solani.org/
>https://www.i2pn2.org/
>

>For using it, you need a newsreader.
>
>Some examples are:
>https://www.thunderbird.net
>https://www.betterbird.eu/
>https://claws-mail.org/
>https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
>
>You then need to configure a newsgroup account, sometimes also
>called NNTP.
>
>For most servers, authentication must be enforced in the newsreader's
>settings.
>
>For Thunderbird, a tutorial is available here:
>https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet
>
>For questions about configuring those readers, feel free to ask in
>the group news.software.readers.

Or check top 1000 for alternatives to GG!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: Alternatives for Google Groups users

<uuokc3$1ashv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1027&group=comp.mail.sendmail#1027

From: gmke...@gmail.com (Kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 12:23:02 +0200
 by: Kyonshi - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 10:23 UTC

On 2/21/2024 3:43 PM, The Doctor wrote:

> Or check top 1000 for alternatives to GG!

Here's a nice list of free usenet services
https://sybershock.com/#usenet