The most important early product on the way to developing a good product is an imperfect version.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.networking / Re: Link oddity

SubjectAuthor
* Link oddityDave
`* Re: Link oddityTheo
 `* Re: Link oddityDave
  +* Re: Link odditySteve Fryatt
  |+- Re: Link oddityNick Roberts
  |`* Re: Link odditySniffer
  | `- Re: Link odditySteve Fryatt
  `* Re: Link oddityVince M Hudd
   `* Re: Link oddityDave
    `* Re: Link oddityStuart
     `- Re: Link oddityAlan Calder BT

1
Link oddity

<592bf184c7dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=96&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#96

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Link oddity
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 12:16:17 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 13 May 2021 11:16 UTC

I have a strange one and wondered if anyone has any thoughts?

I logged in somewhere and created an account, they sent me an "Account
activation" email supposedly containing a link, I have to click the link
and it sends back to them and okays my email and account.

The trouble is the company email doesn't contain any link... not even text
that could be a malformed link.

Taking the raw email out of Pluto backups and putting it in Zap, there
absolutely is no link.

Additionally examining the email header the MailScanner reports "Found
to be clean".

Took it all to Thunderbird PC side, created another account and the end
result is the same... Account activation email with no link.

I've been chatting to the support and they insist the link is in the email
and that it's either my ISP or Mail Client app(s) causing the problem.

By this time the Crib card at support is running out, and we get to the
usual, "Delete all your cookies and History" etc...

Enuff already...

The support person bumps me up a level, and they'll review the problem and
get back to me.

I've now had a series of email from them supposedly containing links that
just are not there, and they still insist the problem is at my end.

Any thoughts, please!

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Link oddity

<Bqf*8D1jy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=97&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#97

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Subject: Re: Link oddity
Date: 13 May 2021 18:12:19 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 13 May 2021 17:12 UTC

Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> The trouble is the company email doesn't contain any link... not even text
> that could be a malformed link.

Frequently people and systems sending mail compose it using a rich text
editor. They put in a link like this:

blah blah <a href="http:....">click here</a> blah blah

That comes through in the HTML version, but if you look in the plain text
version there's no link because the tags have been stripped out. It still
says 'click here' but there's nothing to click on in plain text.

Did you check the HTML version?

The other thing that can happen is if they allow you to specify you want
plain text emails, they might do that and send you just the plain text
version without the HTML version with the link.

Or they messed up, but that would likely affect everyone equally.

Theo

Re: Link oddity

<592c1dd264dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=98&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#98

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 20:20:12 +0100
 by: Dave - Thu, 13 May 2021 19:20 UTC

In article <Bqf*8D1jy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > The trouble is the company email doesn't contain any link... not even
> > text that could be a malformed link.

> Frequently people and systems sending mail compose it using a rich text
> editor. They put in a link like this:

> blah blah <a href="http:....">click here</a> blah blah

> That comes through in the HTML version, but if you look in the plain
> text version there's no link because the tags have been stripped out.
> It still says 'click here' but there's nothing to click on in plain text.

> Did you check the HTML version?

> The other thing that can happen is if they allow you to specify you want
> plain text emails, they might do that and send you just the plain text
> version without the HTML version with the link.

> Or they messed up, but that would likely affect everyone equally.

> Theo

Hi Theo,
You hit the nail firmly on the bonce.

Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
configured to accept text only emails.

I took the Pluto mail HTML attachment in the mail to the Win side and
double clicked it, it displayed in Firefox with the clickable link
available.
The Account now verified...

Advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Link oddity

<mpro.qt2cor00zdlr701th.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=99&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#99

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 21:53:20 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Thu, 13 May 2021 20:53 UTC

On 13 May, Dave wrote in message
<592c1dd264dave@triffid.co.uk>:

> Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
> configured to accept text only emails.

That ship sailed about twenty years ago...

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Link oddity

<f37c942c59.tigger@bc63.orpheusinternet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=100&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#100

From: tig...@orpheusinternet.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 17:56:21 +0100
 by: Nick Roberts - Fri, 14 May 2021 16:56 UTC

In message <mpro.qt2cor00zdlr701th.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 13 May, Dave wrote in message
> <592c1dd264dave@triffid.co.uk>:
>
> > Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side
> > have been configured to accept text only emails.
>
> That ship sailed about twenty years ago...

Not quite - a few years ago there was a problem with Outlook-delivered
malware, and Microsoft recommended that users configure Outlook to
accept text only.

I was quite amused.

--
Nick Roberts tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Re: Link oddity

<s7o7d7$b26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=101&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#101

From: snif...@dewberryfields.co.uk (Sniffer)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 11:22:31 +0100
 by: Sniffer - Sat, 15 May 2021 10:22 UTC

On 13/05/2021 21:53, Steve Fryatt wrote:
> On 13 May, Dave wrote in message
> <592c1dd264dave@triffid.co.uk>:
>
>> Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
>> configured to accept text only emails.
>
> That ship sailed about twenty years ago...

Still has it's uses if you don't want to be tracked. Obviously there are
other ways to prevent being tracked too.

--
Michael Howard.

Re: Link oddity

<mpro.qt5ail01kl59r027l.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=102&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#102

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 11:59:14 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sat, 15 May 2021 10:59 UTC

On 15 May, Sniffer wrote in message
<s7o7d7$b26$1@dont-email.me>:

> Still has it's uses if you don't want to be tracked. Obviously there are
> other ways to prevent being tracked too.

Indeed. Not downloading any unattached files in the email, which is the
standard configuration on any modern email client that I've encountered
(including Outlook), is the most sensible way to achieve that. It means that
the content of emails is still visible largely as the sender intended.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Link oddity

<tKydnSF_8-cQsCL9nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=103&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#103

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
From: atdotcod...@dotcodotukat.co.uk (Vince M Hudd)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 09:42:52 +0100
 by: Vince M Hudd - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:42 UTC

Late coming to this thread, but...

On 13/05/2021 20:20, Dave wrote:

> Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have been
> configured to accept text only emails.

> I took the Pluto mail HTML attachment in the mail to the Win side and
> double clicked it, it displayed in Firefox with the clickable link
> available.

When you say you have Thunderbird configured to "accept" text only
emails, do you mean configured to *display* emails as text only?

If so, it's worth remembering you can change how the currently open
message is displayed from the View menu (View -> Display body as)
without faffing around saving out a HTML attachment and moving it around.

(My default is plain text, but I change it for the occasional message
for similar reasons to the problem you encountered)

--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk
RISCOSitory - www.riscository.com

Re: Link oddity

<593954d1d4dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=104&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#104

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 12:11:33 +0100
 by: Dave - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 11:11 UTC

In article <tKydnSF_8-cQsCL9nZ2dnUU7-InNnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Vince M Hudd <atdotcodotuk@dotcodotukat.co.uk> wrote:
> Late coming to this thread, but...

> On 13/05/2021 20:20, Dave wrote:

> > Both my mail apps, Pluto on RISC OS and Thunderbird MS-Win side have
> > been configured to accept text only emails.

> > I took the Pluto mail HTML attachment in the mail to the Win side and
> > double clicked it, it displayed in Firefox with the clickable link
> > available.

> When you say you have Thunderbird configured to "accept" text only
> emails, do you mean configured to *display* emails as text only?

> If so, it's worth remembering you can change how the currently open
> message is displayed from the View menu (View -> Display body as)
> without faffing around saving out a HTML attachment and moving it around.

> (My default is plain text, but I change it for the occasional message
> for similar reasons to the problem you encountered)

Hi Vince, Looks like you are a bit behind with your reading. (Date) :-)

But seriously, as I'm only an occasional user of Thunderbird I didn't know
about that... As you note very useful.

The only downside is...
As 99 percent of my email comes via Pluto, and if I find some that are
causing problems I don't really have any choice but to manually take the
stuff Windows side.

Thanks for the info though... Appreciated.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Link oddity

<5940a3cc0fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=106&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#106

From: Spam...@argonet.co.uk (Stuart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:47:37 +0100
 by: Stuart - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:47 UTC

In article <593954d1d4dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> The only downside is...
> As 99 percent of my email comes via Pluto, and if I find some that are
> causing problems I don't really have any choice but to manually take the
> stuff Windows side.

The HTML attachment you see in !Pluto can be dropped on whatever Browser
you usually use on the RO side and viewed there.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/

Re: Link oddity

<594109e77ealancalder.8@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=109&group=comp.sys.acorn.networking#109

From: alancald...@btinternet.com (Alan Calder BT)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.networking
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 11:22:54 +0100
 by: Alan Calder BT - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 10:22 UTC

In article <5940a3cc0fSpambin@argonet.co.uk>, Stuart
<Spambin@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <593954d1d4dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > The only downside is... As 99 percent of my email comes via Pluto, and
> > if I find some that are causing problems I don't really have any
> > choice but to manually take the stuff Windows side.

> The HTML attachment you see in !Pluto can be dropped on whatever Browser
> you usually use on the RO side and viewed there.

I tend to drop the attachment on !Easiwriter to get a good idea of what
it's about. Doesn't read the web refernces in the file but generally gets
all the text. If I want to read more then I pass it to the Windows
machine. Deals with 90% of what I get.

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.