From: nala...@sccoast.net (Alan D Ray)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:28:47 -0500
 by: Alan D Ray - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:28 UTC

Just wanted to say a big Thank you Spalls for your
very generous offerings.
I am sort-of a lurker. But NOT a newbie.
I've been on Usenet before it was available
to everyone..when I had my Amiga, I had to
dial in with a modem (how quaint) to a business
to access the Amiga newsgroups. The only
reason that was available was one of the
employees at the business was a former
Commodore employee.
I was on People-Link, Compu-Serv (just
think if we had to pay per minute to access
this stuff?)
Anyway I didn't take any of Spalls offerings.
If I had, I would have said so. Some were
very intruiging, but I was too late..oh well.
I don't post hardly at all, due to my age
(almost 70)...and what can I say really?
Right now I'm playing Outward-The Definitive
Edition and getting my ass kicked and I
got back into the first Red Faction..and am
getting my ass kicked there too. Don't
have the reflexes I had decades ago...OR
the patience!
There should be a way to WILL my games
library to others who may play these
games..I have over 430 games in my
GOG library and 118 in my Steam library
and quite a few in Epic's library.
I mean I'm not diagnosed with any
disease..but lets face it..I'll NEVER
play through all these games..
I mean the Ultimas (I have them all), Baldurs
Gates, those Morrowwind and Skyrim
games (I have all them), all the Might
and Magics (I have all them)..I could go
on and on..see what I'm getting at?
Maybe we need a repository for unused
game keys.

Anyway folks...Have A Very Happy
New Year!
Play Games...NOT Make War!

>Alan

Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone

<tog5ih$3opur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10288&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10288

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 18:19:11 -0700
 by: rms - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 01:19 UTC

> Don't
>have the reflexes I had decades ago...OR
>the patience!

Heehee, have a good holidays too Alan! I suggest trying short games of
4-6hrs long (I'm doing this myself, finished Along the Edge, and Scorn, in
just the last few weeks) to clean your palette and get a feeling of
progress. I look up both steam & professional reviews and howlongtobeat
lengths and add likely titles to a list.

rms

Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone

<tog7tm$1779$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10290&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10290

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 17:59:06 -0800
 by: Ant - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 01:59 UTC

Ditto!

--
"Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits." --Psalm
| |o o| | Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
\ _ / Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
( )

Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone

<0neoqh97l7q9s6s5ua96e94leuf78mq3l4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10297&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10297

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 07:58:27 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 12:58 UTC

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:28:47 -0500, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>

>There should be a way to WILL my games
>library to others who may play these
>games..I have over 430 games in my
>GOG library and 118 in my Steam library
>and quite a few in Epic's library.
>I mean I'm not diagnosed with any
>disease..but lets face it..I'll NEVER
>play through all these games..
>I mean the Ultimas (I have them all), Baldurs
>Gates, those Morrowwind and Skyrim
>games (I have all them), all the Might
>and Magics (I have all them)..I could go
>on and on..see what I'm getting at?
>Maybe we need a repository for unused
>game keys.

I only own Ultima 6 and the two parts of Ultima 7 as far as the main
line series goes. But I also have the hint books at least.

I love Baldur's Gate so I own those.

The only Elder Scrolls title I own the box for is the first one as I
never found this series that compelling.

I do own every Might and Might as well as that is probably my favorite
video game series of all time.

Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone

<ehpoqhhldn30l6j2ivk1inqqcgrbm46mm3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10302&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10302

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:59:06 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 15:59 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 07:58:27 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 19:28:47 -0500, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>
>
>>There should be a way to WILL my games
>>library to others who may play these
>>games..I have over 430 games in my
>>GOG library and 118 in my Steam library
>>and quite a few in Epic's library.
>>I mean I'm not diagnosed with any
>>disease..but lets face it..I'll NEVER
>>play through all these games..
>>I mean the Ultimas (I have them all), Baldurs
>>Gates, those Morrowwind and Skyrim
>>games (I have all them), all the Might
>>and Magics (I have all them)..I could go
>>on and on..see what I'm getting at?
>>Maybe we need a repository for unused
>>game keys.
>
>I only own Ultima 6 and the two parts of Ultima 7 as far as the main
>line series goes. But I also have the hint books at least.

I really want a modern remake of Ultima 6. Not so much to revamp the
visuals but to fix that game's god-awful interface. Just being able to
properly click-n-drag items between characters would be welcome. U6
(and it's two spin-offs, Savage Empire and Martian Dreams) are
functionally unplayable for me because I find the controls so
aggravating.

(I know there's a half-complete Dungeon Siege mod that retells the
Ultima 6 story, but that's not quite the same. Keep the core of U6 as
it is - maybe make the viewing window a bit bigger? - just fix the
controls; that's what I want).

>I love Baldur's Gate so I own those.

>The only Elder Scrolls title I own the box for is the first one as I
>never found this series that compelling.

>I do own every Might and Might as well as that is probably my favorite
>video game series of all time.

Might & Magic: 1986's version of open-world gaming! I remember being
flabergasted by the ability to LEAVE THE DUNGEON. Would computer games
ever get more realistic than that? At the time, I couldn't imagine
how. I still have extremely fond memories of wandering the deserts and
forests of VARN.

Going back, I'm always shocked at how text-heavy the interface is.

Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone

<itopqhl0skacqct8anui3rfmu89e8j7nsg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10311&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10311

From: nala...@sccoast.net (Alan D Ray)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:48:51 -0500
 by: Alan D Ray - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 00:48 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 10:59:06 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

Wasn't it in one of the Might & Magic games you could fly?
I sort of remember something like that.

<9g0rqhtngitrpo55k9onnvh0jsets2o0hp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10315&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10315

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 07:05:20 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 12:05 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:48:51 -0500, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>
wrote:

>Wasn't it in one of the Might & Magic games you could fly?
>I sort of remember something like that.

The first Might & Magic had the fly spell but what you are thinking of
was first in Might & Magic VI.

Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone

<brbrqhd6lodaimgi8ab9ag5g1tgvmki2cg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10316&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10316

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:25:55 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 15:25 UTC

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 07:05:20 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:48:51 -0500, Alan D Ray <nalayar@sccoast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Wasn't it in one of the Might & Magic games you could fly?
>>I sort of remember something like that.
>
>The first Might & Magic had the fly spell but what you are thinking of
>was first in Might & Magic VI.

Clouds of Xeen (MM4) had the cloud worlds too; keep that levitation
spell active or plummet to your death! But though nominally high up in
the sky, these were really just different 'dungeons'. Similarly,
Darkside of Xeen (MM5) had 'skyroads" which, nominally, sat atop the
outside regions and could be accessed from the top of high buildings
and mountains. Step off the road and you fell to your death. But,
again, these really were just separate dungeon instances.

True flight, of course, wasn't possible until New World Computing
dropped the 2D tile-based engine, which allowed things to actually be
on top of other things. That didn't happen, as noted, until Might &
Magic 6. Until then, it was all fakery. ;-)

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Thank you Spalls and Happy New Year everyone