Hackers are just a migratory lifeform with a tropism for computers.

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

SubjectAuthor
* TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Errorpanorain
`* Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found ErrorCarlos E.R.
 +- Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found ErrorMalcolm
 `* Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Errorpanorain
  `* Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found ErrorCarlos E.R.
   +* Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Errorpanorain
   |`* Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found ErrorCarlos E. R.
   | `- Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Errorpanorain
   `- Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Errorpanorain

1
TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<un5305$3d8ob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1024&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1024

From: pj...@7.invalid.ru (panorain)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 19:52:01 -0600
 by: panorain - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 01:52 UTC

I have a Lenovo m-91p SFF desktop computer. I attached a 128GB Kingston
ssd as the only hdd. I installed openSUSE TW on the computer with LUKS
encryption and I believe I enabled within YaST2 > Boot Code Options >
Trusted Boot Support. I updated the computer with "zypper dup"
powercycled and things were really working well as far as the speed of
the cpu etc.

I then put the computer away for a year and the LUKS password was
documented correctly. I took the computer out of storage and was
attempting to unlock the disk at Grub2 menu a number of times with a
incorrect variation of the LUKS password. I finally realized that I was
attempting the wrong password and referenced the correct password. By
that time I had powercycled many times and removed all but 1 of the 4
DIMMS from the board to get to POST and unencrypt LUKS and login to KDE.
I updated the machine with the "zypper dup", I decided to then
powercycle the machine (a very large number of updates).

After powercycling the machine it was blank no POST let alone a Grub2
boot menu. I removed the remaining DIMM and then attempted a series or
variations with the existing 4 DIMMS with no luck to even access BIOS or
see a POST displayed. If all DIMMS are removed there is a series of
audible beeps heard in a round robin sort of sounding (around and around).

I attempted to attach the afflicted ssd to a functional desktop machine
operating under openSUSE TW. The device is listed/shown with "lsblk" The
ssd is not able to be mounted manually through GUI in KDE or manually
from bash terminal Incorrect password is displayed time after time. I
have tried attaching a PS/2 style keyboard to the functioning desktop
and loading into TW then trying the proper documented password with no joy.

I attached the afflicted ssd as the sole/only ssd to the known
functional machine. I powered on the desktop and was displayed
TrustedGRUB2 No TPM found Error.

My questioning for you is: did my multiple attempts to enter an
incorrect LUKS password time after time (after taking the computer out
of storage) cause a possible mainboard failure or perhaps a DIMM
failure? The computer/machine is not posting whatsoever. As I have said
earlier in my message I was finally able to enter the correct LUKS
passphrase with 1 DIMM 2GB in size then update the machine. Upon
powercycling the machine there was absolutely no post let alone a Grub2
unlock key displayed.

Can I maybe reinstall a fresh grub2 on the drive?

I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment mistake
by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the machine from
storage.

-Thanks

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<fvij6kxj9j.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1025&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1025

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:02:07 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:02 UTC

On 2024-01-04 02:52, panorain wrote:
> I have a Lenovo m-91p SFF desktop computer. I attached a 128GB Kingston
> ssd as the only hdd. I installed openSUSE TW on the computer with LUKS
> encryption and I believe I enabled within YaST2 > Boot Code Options >
> Trusted Boot Support. I updated the computer with "zypper dup"
> powercycled and things were really working well as far as the speed of
> the cpu etc.
>
> I then put the computer away for a year and the LUKS password was
> documented correctly. I took the computer out of storage and was
> attempting to unlock the disk at Grub2 menu a number of times with a
> incorrect variation of the LUKS password. I finally realized that I was
> attempting the wrong password and referenced the correct password. By
> that time I had powercycled many times and removed all but 1 of the 4
> DIMMS from the board to get to POST and unencrypt LUKS and login to KDE.
> I updated the machine with the "zypper dup", I decided to then
> powercycle the machine (a very large number of updates).
>
> After powercycling the machine it was blank no POST let alone a Grub2
> boot menu. I removed the remaining DIMM and then attempted a series or
> variations with the existing 4 DIMMS with no luck to even access BIOS or
> see a POST displayed. If all DIMMS are removed there is a series of
> audible beeps heard in a round robin sort of sounding (around and around).
>
> I attempted to attach the afflicted ssd to a functional desktop machine
> operating under openSUSE TW. The device is listed/shown with "lsblk" The
> ssd is not able to be mounted manually through GUI in KDE or manually
> from bash terminal Incorrect password is displayed time after time. I
> have tried attaching a PS/2 style keyboard to the functioning desktop
> and loading into TW then trying the proper documented password with no joy.
>
> I attached the afflicted ssd as the sole/only ssd to the known
> functional machine. I powered on the desktop and was displayed
> TrustedGRUB2 No TPM found Error.
>
> My questioning for you is: did my multiple attempts to enter an
> incorrect LUKS password time after time (after taking the computer out
> of storage) cause a possible mainboard failure or perhaps a DIMM
> failure? The computer/machine is not posting whatsoever.

I don't think so.

> As I have said
> earlier in my message I was finally able to enter the correct LUKS
> passphrase with 1 DIMM 2GB in size then update the machine. Upon
> powercycling the machine there was absolutely no post let alone a Grub2
> unlock key displayed.
>
> Can I maybe reinstall a fresh grub2 on the drive?
>
> I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
> advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment mistake
> by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the machine from
> storage.

There are more tests you can do.

Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt to
open the partitions when prompted.

Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non encrypted.

And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<20240104154436.3c6bee0d@grover.homelinux.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1026&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1026

From: malcolml...@linuxmail.org.invalid (Malcolm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:44:36 -0600
 by: Malcolm - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 21:44 UTC

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:02:07 +0100
"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

<snip>

> There are more tests you can do.
>
> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt
> to open the partitions when prompted.
>
> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non
> encrypted.
>

> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.

Hi
My suggestion is a fresh install, way too many things have changed
(usr merge, lots of LUKs and TPM stuff) to even attempt an update if you
get it running...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Tumbleweed 20240103 | GNOME Shell 45.2 | 6.6.7-1-default

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<7558b6d8-15b2-456d-a575-c6228e641fc7@7.invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1027&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1027

From: pj...@7.invalid.com (panorain)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:22:30 -0600
 by: panorain - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:22 UTC

On 1/4/24 15:02, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> [...]
>
> I don't think so.
>
>> As I have said earlier in my message I was finally able to enter the
>> correct LUKS passphrase with 1 DIMM 2GB in size then update the
>> machine. Upon powercycling the machine there was absolutely no post
>> let alone a Grub2 unlock key displayed.
>>
>> Can I maybe reinstall a fresh grub2 on the drive?
>>
>> I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
>> advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment
>> mistake by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the
>> machine from storage.
>
> There are more tests you can do.
>
> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt to
> open the partitions when prompted.
>
> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non encrypted.
>

> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.

Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default? Is there a way
to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the mentioned medium
was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do know, the medium has
little critical data on it. In the very least it is an interesting
experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2 keyboard in order to
really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being keyed in correctly. I
may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks for your input on this also.

-pj

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<drjg7kxb1j.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1028&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1028

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:14:53 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:14 UTC

On 2024-01-15 17:22, panorain wrote:
> On 1/4/24 15:02, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2024-01-04 02:52, panorain wrote:

>>> I welcome your thoughts on this and do understand that I am not an
>>> advanced user. I understand that I made a somewhat poor judgment
>>> mistake by not verifying the exact LUKS password after removing the
>>> machine from storage.
>>
>> There are more tests you can do.
>>
>> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt
>> to open the partitions when prompted.
>>
>> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non
>> encrypted.
>>

>> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.
>>

> Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default?

I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular desktop
you use, I understand.

> Is there a way
> to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the mentioned medium
> was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do know, the medium has
> little critical data on it. In the very least it is an interesting
> experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2 keyboard in order to
> really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being keyed in correctly. I
> may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks for your input on this also.

Welcome.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<1347dcb8-d7ba-4a39-b970-6a2331a8d9bb@7.invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1030&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1030

From: pj...@7.invalid.com (panorain)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:31:35 -0600
 by: panorain - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:31 UTC

On 1/15/24 15:14, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-01-15 17:22, panorain wrote:

>>> There are more tests you can do.
>>>
>>> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt
>>> to open the partitions when prompted.
>>>
>>> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non
>>> encrypted.
>>>

>>> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.
>>>

>> Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default?
>
> I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular desktop
> you use, I understand.
>
>> Is there a way to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the
>> mentioned medium was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do know,
>> the medium has little critical data on it. In the very least it is an
>> interesting experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2 keyboard
>> in order to really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being keyed in
>> correctly. I may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks for your
>> input on this also.
>
> Welcome.

Thank you Carlos. Hot pluging allows the drive to be seen on another
desktop. sudo fdisk -l displays the drive as /dev/sdc .Passing the
following: error:Thinkcentre-M57p:~> mount /dev/sdc
mount: /dev/sdc: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Passing: lsblk -f displays: sdc
crypto_LUKS 2 fd28e551-c765-461e-aab0-a2c49bb786b9

Before I wrote the initial message on this I to connected the drive then
powercycled. Once in KDE the mount applet in systray was able to display
the drive then I could try and enter the passphrase (which fails). Why
now, mount /etc/sdc displays an fstab error? Should I add UUID into
machines current fstab file and where? Anyways i've been looking here
now https://askubuntu.com/questions/1427614/how-can-i-rebuild-etc-crypttab

I don't know why the message fails to send ((might have forgot to add
newsgroup). Ok well thanks

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<a8c5c685-6cb0-4699-be40-f799a2776564@7.invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1031&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1031

From: pj...@7.invalid.com (panorain)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:32:51 -0600
 by: panorain - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:32 UTC

On 1/15/24 15:14, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-01-15 17:22, panorain wrote:

>>> There are more tests you can do.
>>>
>>> Hot plug the Kingston SSD to an already running computer, and attempt
>>> to open the partitions when prompted.
>>>
>>> Attempt to boot the Lenovo m-91p SFF with a different media, non
>>> encrypted.
>>>

>>> And you could ask instead on the openSUSE mail list or forum.
>>>

>> Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default?
>
> I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular desktop
> you use, I understand.
>
>> Is there a way to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the
>> mentioned medium was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do know,
>> the medium has little critical data on it. In the very least it is an
>> interesting experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2 keyboard
>> in order to really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being keyed in
>> correctly. I may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks for your
>> input on this also.
>
> Welcome.

Thank you Carlos. Hot pluging allows the drive to be seen on another
desktop. sudo fdisk -l displays the drive as /dev/sdc .Passing the
following: error:Thinkcentre-M57p:~> mount /dev/sdc
mount: /dev/sdc: can't find in /etc/fstab.

Passing: lsblk -f displays: sdc
crypto_LUKS 2 fd28e551-c765-461e-aab0-a2c49bb786b9

Before I wrote the initial message on this I to connected the drive then
powercycled. Once in KDE the mount applet in systray was able to display
the drive then I could try and enter the passphrase (which fails). Why
now, mount /etc/sdc displays an fstab error? Should I add UUID into
machines current fstab file and where? Anyways i've been looking here
now https://askubuntu.com/questions/1427614/how-can-i-rebuild-etc-crypttab

I don't know why the message fails to send ((might have forgot to add
newsgroup). Ok well thanks

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<l0ou1gFg5huU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1032&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1032

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 03:57:52 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 02:57 UTC

On 2024-01-16 22:31, panorain wrote:
> On 1/15/24 15:14, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Is openSUSE Tumbleweed hot plugging enabled by default?
>>
>> I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular
>> desktop you use, I understand.
>>
>>> Is there a way to see if hot plugging is enabled? The last time the
>>> mentioned medium was updated was after usr merge (I think). I do
>>> know, the medium has little critical data on it. In the very least it
>>> is an interesting experiment to try and mount. I did attach a PS/2
>>> keyboard in order to really be certain the LUKS passphrase was being
>>> keyed in correctly. I may post this on the mailing list soon. Thanks
>>> for your input on this also.
>>
>> Welcome.
>>
> Thank you Carlos. Hot pluging allows the drive to be seen on another
> desktop. sudo fdisk -l displays the drive as /dev/sdc .Passing the
> following: error:Thinkcentre-M57p:~> mount /dev/sdc
> mount: /dev/sdc: can't find in /etc/fstab.

You failed to give a mount point.

Besides, you are trying to mount the disk, not a partition, and it is
encrypted. That's not the device node to supply to the mount command. It
will be one of the devices in /dev/mapper/, after you create it with the
proper password:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc cr_ARBITRARY_NAME

Information:

blkid /dev/mapper/$CR_NAME

cryptsetup status $CR_NAME

dmsetup ls

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: TrustedGrub2 No TPM found Error

<11cfdcba-626e-4748-a68e-590cdca640fe@7.invalid.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1033&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1033

From: pj...@7.invalid.com (panorain)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:38:40 -0600
 by: panorain - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:38 UTC

On 1/16/24 20:57, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2024-01-16 22:31, panorain wrote:

>>> I don't use TW, but I assume it is. It depends on the particular
>>> desktop you use, I understand.

>>> Welcome.
>>>
>> Thank you Carlos. Hot pluging allows the drive to be seen on another
>> desktop. sudo fdisk -l displays the drive as /dev/sdc .Passing the
>> following: error:Thinkcentre-M57p:~> mount /dev/sdc
>> mount: /dev/sdc: can't find in /etc/fstab.
>
> You failed to give a mount point.
>
> Besides, you are trying to mount the disk, not a partition, and it is
> encrypted. That's not the device node to supply to the mount command. It
> will be one of the devices in /dev/mapper/, after you create it with the
> proper password:
>
> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc cr_ARBITRARY_NAME
>

> Information:
>
> blkid /dev/mapper/$CR_NAME
>
> cryptsetup status $CR_NAME
>
> dmsetup ls

Thanks for this help. Information:
Thinkcentre-M57p:/ # blkid /dev/mapper/Kingston-120GB-SSD
/dev/mapper/Kingston-120GB-SSD:
UUID="lcEavO-8dpP-VESH-CdZY-afZC-eX9W-B4i2wo" TYPE="LVM2_member"
Thinkcentre-M57p:/ # cryptsetup status Kingston-120GB-SSD
/dev/mapper/Kingston-120GB-SSD is active.
type: LUKS1
cipher: aes-xts-plain64
keysize: 512 bits
key location: dm-crypt