From: J...@M (D)
Subject: Fw: Privacy on USENET with sTunnel freeware
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 17:49:28 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: D - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 16:49 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:04:24 -0700, Frank Ferter <FrankFerter@is.invalid> wrote:
>Advice requested from those of you who understnd sTunnel packet paths.
>Background.
>Some older great freeware USENET newsreaders don't come with encryption.
>Some fantastic freeware nntp news servers require modern encryption.
>Workaround.
>Installing sTunnel freeware on Windows allows both free options to work.
>Problem.
>However, when using sTunnel freeware, I am "worried" there "may" be a leak
>of "privacy" (but --- I admit I really do not know how sTunnel works)!
>Observation.
>Looking at the sTunnel freeware log file I see a lot of connections each
>time I post even when I'm not using sTunnel to post to USENET newsgroups.
>Clarification.
>I want to repeat I don't know how sTunnel works so this is just a "worry"
>and not a firm opinion. I'm asking you if I should be worried about my
>privacy when posting using sTunnel.
>Question.
>Essentially, how much of my "traffic" is routed through foreign servers
>when I post to a server which needs encryption (such as mixmin) versus when
>posting to a server which doesn't require encryption (such as aioe)?
>Wrapup.
>It's essentially a question of how sTunnel works.
>More specifically, it's a question of the two paths.
>With respect to anonymity
><1> What is the path an unencrypted aioe post takes through other servers?
><2> What is the path an encrypted mixmin post takes through other servers?

a.p.a-s added . . . caveat emptor as known "bb" insiders posting there.

Re: Fw: Privacy on USENET with sTunnel freeware

<608a3a5e1aa5db3b419bae38f2aa84b7@remailer.privacy.at>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10390&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#10390

From: mixmas...@remailer.privacy.at (Anonymous Remailer (austria))
Subject: Re: Fw: Privacy on USENET with sTunnel freeware
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 19:51:37 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer ( - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:51 UTC

In article <b5c956d03ddca7bdc485d7c6eabdcae0@dizum.com>
D <J@M> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:04:24 -0700, Frank Ferter <FrankFerter@is.invalid> wrote:
> >Advice requested from those of you who understnd sTunnel packet paths.
> >Background.
> >Some older great freeware USENET newsreaders don't come with encryption.
> >Some fantastic freeware nntp news servers require modern encryption.
> >Workaround.
> >Installing sTunnel freeware on Windows allows both free options to work.
> >Problem.
> >However, when using sTunnel freeware, I am "worried" there "may" be a leak
> >of "privacy" (but --- I admit I really do not know how sTunnel works)!
> >Observation.
> >Looking at the sTunnel freeware log file I see a lot of connections each
> >time I post even when I'm not using sTunnel to post to USENET newsgroups.
> >Clarification.
> >I want to repeat I don't know how sTunnel works so this is just a "worry"
> >and not a firm opinion. I'm asking you if I should be worried about my
> >privacy when posting using sTunnel.
> >Question.
> >Essentially, how much of my "traffic" is routed through foreign servers
> >when I post to a server which needs encryption (such as mixmin) versus when
> >posting to a server which doesn't require encryption (such as aioe)?
> >Wrapup.
> >It's essentially a question of how sTunnel works.
> >More specifically, it's a question of the two paths.
> >With respect to anonymity
> ><1> What is the path an unencrypted aioe post takes through other servers?
> ><2> What is the path an encrypted mixmin post takes through other servers?
>
> a.p.a-s added . . . caveat emptor as known "bb" insiders posting there.

I use stunnel on several OS platforms. Works fine, particularly
when used in conjunction with SOCAT.