Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 20:15:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Loading stats generates warning W_OP0973
From: s.anders...@gmail.com (Steve)
 by: Steve - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 03:15 UTC

Hi folks

Recently I generated tables stats in our DR environment, writing them to a file rather than the System Catalogs - that sounds awfully like the Ingres documentation :) - using the -o optimizedb flag. Later when loading the stats into our production environment, I received several W_OP0973 warnings.

Searching the Actian website, it seems the issue re warning W_OP0973 was fixed in 9.2 - below is the note from "Patch 14296 for Ingres 9.2 Service Pack 1 (9.2.1) on Sun Solaris UltraSPARC":

"Bug 122605 (GENERIC)

optimizedb generates incorrect exact histogram cell counts for date columns.. Loading these stats via optimizedb will generate W_OP0973 warnings."

(NB: Am running Ingres 11.0 on Solaris SPARC)

Should I interpret these warnings to suggest the bug may not be fixed? Should I be raising this with Actian?

Further, all but one of the columns with this warning are ingresdate columns. The exception is column defined as a float4.

Thanks
Steve

Re: [Info-ingres] Loading stats generates warning W_OP0973

<mailman.70.1627542179.1681.info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=105&group=comp.databases.ingres#105

From: martin.b...@ndph.ox.ac.uk (Martin Bowes)
To: Steve <s.anderson.au@gmail.com>, "info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org"
<info-ingres@lists.planetingres.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 07:02:56 +0000
Subject: Re: [Info-ingres] Loading stats generates warning W_OP0973
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ingres
 by: Martin Bowes - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 07:02 UTC

Hi Stevo,

The short answer is yes. You're paying for service, you may as well use it.

But out of curiosity...

What z flags did you use in the optimisation call?

For example (using 11.1.0 +p15599 a64.lnx) on a table with 15000+ rows and an ingresdate field I did:
optimizedb -zk -zr1000 -zu1000 -zns -o stats.txt -uace ace_trove_live -rfield -atcounted

And then:
optimizedb -i stats.txt -uace ace_trove_live -rfield -atcounted

No errors, warnings, or informationals were generated.

You may like to experiment with the -zn# option as well. Try a -zn9 and see if that helps.

Martin Bowes