From: andr...@sdf.org (Andrew Smallshaw)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Useful bonus feature
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:45:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Smallshaw - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:45 UTC

I'm just doing some rough prototyping at the minute and to save
squinting I put a identifying label on the MCU showing part no and
orientation, from one of those thermal Dymo-style labelling machines.
What I hadn't anticipated is the bonus feature - these are thermal
labels so of course give a visual indication when the magic smoke
gets let out.

http://andrews.freeshell.org/news/20220821.cae/MVIMG_20220831_172913.jpg

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org

Re: Useful bonus feature

<ad055c67-1fd4-d9e5-9ae7-bec18b1a5e8a@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=995&group=comp.arch.embedded#995

Subject: Re: Useful bonus feature
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 19:22:25 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 23:22 UTC

Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
> I'm just doing some rough prototyping at the minute and to save
> squinting I put a identifying label on the MCU showing part no and
> orientation, from one of those thermal Dymo-style labelling machines.
> What I hadn't anticipated is the bonus feature - these are thermal
> labels so of course give a visual indication when the magic smoke
> gets let out.
>
> http://andrews.freeshell.org/news/20220821.cae/MVIMG_20220831_172913.jpg

Nice. One time long ago, I got snookered by a damaged prescaler in an
8-pin DIP. For recompense, I connected pins 1-4 to one side of a 120V
mains plug, and pins 5-8 to the other. Made a very satisfactory bang,
and excavated a crater out of the epoxy.

Most soothing to my irritated soul, and _that_ chip was not going to
waste any more of my time. (Pease talks about 'Widlarizing' in a
similar vein.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Useful bonus feature

<tes7ml$2fcmk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=998&group=comp.arch.embedded#998

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 23:26:21 -0700
 by: Don Y - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 06:26 UTC

On 8/31/2022 9:45 AM, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
> I'm just doing some rough prototyping at the minute and to save
> squinting I put a identifying label on the MCU showing part no and
> orientation, from one of those thermal Dymo-style labelling machines.
> What I hadn't anticipated is the bonus feature - these are thermal
> labels so of course give a visual indication when the magic smoke
> gets let out.
>
> http://andrews.freeshell.org/news/20220821.cae/MVIMG_20220831_172913.jpg

You need stronger adhesive and label material to PREVENT the smoke from
escaping! :>

Re: Useful bonus feature

<sdicjh5aurr42pc07l1a90rk1hfl148qiv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1041&group=comp.arch.embedded#1041

From: boB...@K7IQ.com (boB)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:44:18 -0700
 by: boB - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 01:44 UTC

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 23:26:21 -0700, Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid>
wrote:

>On 8/31/2022 9:45 AM, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
>> I'm just doing some rough prototyping at the minute and to save
>> squinting I put a identifying label on the MCU showing part no and
>> orientation, from one of those thermal Dymo-style labelling machines.
>> What I hadn't anticipated is the bonus feature - these are thermal
>> labels so of course give a visual indication when the magic smoke
>> gets let out.
>>
>> http://andrews.freeshell.org/news/20220821.cae/MVIMG_20220831_172913.jpg
>
>You need stronger adhesive and label material to PREVENT the smoke from
>escaping! :>

Many of you may know this but many years ago, I found that windowed
Eproms can turn into a light if you plug them in wrong. Very wrong :)

boB