Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting for a dial tone.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Drakan - Order of the Flame

SubjectAuthor
* Drakan - Order of the FlameJustisaur
+- Re: Drakan - Order of the FlameAnt
+* Re: Drakan - Order of the FlameMike S.
|`- Re: Drakan - Order of the FlameSpalls Hurgenson
`- Re: Drakan - Order of the FlameSpalls Hurgenson

1
Drakan - Order of the Flame

<8d2e3e65-0cde-4b1c-8703-c1271dc310c2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10443&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10443

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:07:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Drakan - Order of the Flame
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 20:07 UTC

I *think* Drakan - Order of the Flame might be the long lost game I was thinking of where you fly a dragon around. Interestingly it's not available on GoG or Steam.

I'm not entirely sure as I don't remember it being a female, but could be.

Anyone play this?

Re: Drakan - Order of the Flame

<JPScna4QhOCCgiP-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10445&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10445

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: Drakan - Order of the Flame
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 02:29:51 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 02:29 UTC

I remember playing its demo back then. It was OK.

--
"For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake." --2 Corinthians 4:5. Bad Mon. nite with resumed leaks from da old nest's roof again when da heavy 2.5-3" rain just started. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Drakan - Order of the Flame

<2fktrhd8e9tu48bmgqskm2mrd312ludjpi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10448&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10448

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:13:25 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 15:13 UTC

On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:07:53 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>I *think* Drakan - Order of the Flame might be the long lost game I was thinking of where you fly a dragon around. Interestingly it's not available on GoG or Steam.
>
>I'm not entirely sure as I don't remember it being a female, but could be.
>
>Anyone play this?

Never played Drakan but I do remember another game where you fly a
dragon called DragonStrike.

Re: Drakan - Order of the Flame

<8intrhpbh49kucdrfer7dn1dmh3lkiodo9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10450&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10450

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 11:19:19 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:19 UTC

<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>I *think* Drakan - Order of the Flame might be the long lost game I was
>thinking of where you fly a dragon around. Interestingly it's not available
>on GoG or Steam.
>
>I'm not entirely sure as I don't remember it being a female, but could be.
>
>Anyone play this?

I did!
(looks of surprise all around, right? ;-)

I /loved/ this game. The on-foot combat was only passable, but I loved
the dragon-flight mechanics. The game wasn't quite open-world (it had
distinct levels) but the maps were - for its time - very large. It had
a reasonably entertaining story, and fairly colorful graphics (this at
a time when colored lighting effects were still brand new). The levels
were impressively detailed (again, for the time). I remember noting
with delight at how the scaffolding used in the caves had actual
3D-models for the pegs that held the structure together; such
decadence! The animations and voice-acting were fairly well done too,
making the main characters seem much more believable.

Surreal - the developers behind the game - went on to develop the
"Fellowship of the Ring" game, which I bought immediately on release,
because I so admired "Drakan". That was a mistake; "Fellowship" was
/not/ a good game. But then they went on to make "The Suffering",
which was another great experience.

Disappointingly, "Drakan" ended on a cliffhanger, and - while there
was a sequel - it never came to PC and it didn't really follow up on
the original, in terms of story or quality. As you noted, "Order of
the Flame" never got a digital re-release, so it's hard to find these
days (I still have my CD! ;-) but, honestly? I'm not sure it's worth
playing. It was fun back in 1999, but a lot of what of what made it
memorable back then is old hat today, which make its flaws (its
controls, its low-res textures, its unexciting combat) stand out all
the more.

Still, I'm surprised it hasn't made its way back to GOG. Even though
Surreal jumped from Psygnosis to Midway to WB Games, I can't imagine
the rights are so tangled that its preventing it from coming back to
market...

Re: Drakan - Order of the Flame

<gcotrh540g7e05srbuub7ejrf8c6antb97@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10451&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10451

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 11:24:51 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 16:24 UTC

On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 10:13:25 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 12:07:53 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
><justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I *think* Drakan - Order of the Flame might be the long lost game I was thinking of where you fly a dragon around. Interestingly it's not available on GoG or Steam.
>>
>>I'm not entirely sure as I don't remember it being a female, but could be.
>>
>>Anyone play this?
>
>Never played Drakan but I do remember another game where you fly a
>dragon called DragonStrike.

Ah, the classic SSI game, utilizing (poorly) the Dragonlance license.
"Dragonstrike" never quite seemed to be able to figure out if it
wanted to be an arcade shooter or a flight sim, and - coupled with the
limited processing power of the day - that made for a poor experience
overall.

Plus, except for the fact that you were on a dragon and occassionally
attacked flying castles, there was very little about the game that
felt like "Dragonlance".

I played the DOS version. The Amiga version was supposedly the
superior game (better graphics, natch, but also more refined
gameplay). There was an NES version too, but that was a top-down
shooter. I purchased the game because I wasn't going to let any
D&D-related video game slip through my fingers, but I was quite
disappointed with it and it got very little play-time.