You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?

SubjectAuthor
* sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Lew Pitcher
|`- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E.R.
+* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Andreas Kohlbach
|+- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E.R.
|`- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?27E.G756
+* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Fritz Wuehler
|+- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
|`* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Fritz Wuehler
| +* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
| |`* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Rich
| | `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
| |  `- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Rich
| +- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Fritz Wuehler
| `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Fritz Wuehler
|  `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
|   `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E.R.
|    +* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
|    |`* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E.R.
|    | `- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
|    `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Fritz Wuehler
|     `- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Pancho
+* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Fritz Wuehler
|+- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Joe Beanfish
|`* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E. R.
| `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Rich
|  `* Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?Carlos E. R.
|   `- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?27E.G756
`- Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?27E.G756

Pages:12
Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?

<oiirfjx736.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10454&group=comp.os.linux.misc#10454

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:30:16 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:30 UTC

On 2023-04-03 12:57, Pancho wrote:
> On 03/04/2023 02:40, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Yes, that is a good point. But difficult to test, reliably. VoIP
>>> already works, most of the time.
>>>
>>> Also, I don't know if my IP address does change regularly. Obviously,
>>> it does when the phone moves between my wlan and the mobile/cell
>>> network,
>>
>> You forget we are talking of LAN alone.
>
> No, I understand that, but I have 10 years experience of Android VoIP
> softphones being unreliable. I'm not sure why they are unreliable, just
> a history of mild interest, and consequent prejudice.
>
> Someone can say my issues are due to changing external IP, that it won't
> happen in a LAN environment, and they may be right, but I don't have
> evidence of that.
>
> Suggesting one potential failure mechanism does not exclude other
> mechanisms. You haven't excluded the possibility that aggressive power
> saving requirements, and consequent sleep states, cause the problem.
>
> If someone could point to real life experience of an Andorid VoIP
> clients working reliably on a LAN, with direct IP calls, or probably
> more tractably via a LAN base PBX such as Asterisk, I would be more
> convinced.

Have you tried to setup a phone VoIP client without a registrar, on the
LAN? It is a different beast altogether.

Yes, of course it can fail, that is not the point.

And I am not going to use for my use case, but that is not the point either.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?

<b6e881afe41485cf6e10835be429f156@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10455&group=comp.os.linux.misc#10455

From: fri...@spamexpire-202304.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 21:07:16 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 19:07 UTC

Pancho <Pancho.Jo...@proton.me> [P]:
P> If someone could point to real life experience of an Andorid
P> VoIP client working reliably on a LAN, with direct IP calls,
P> or probably more tractably via a LAN base PBX such as Asterisk,
P> I would be more convinced.

You probably missed the following paragraph in one of my

I have been using a similar technique (ie. calling a VoIP device
by IP, which actually is the remote end of a point-to-point VPN)
for ages. This type of communication doesn't need (or leak) anything
from (or to) the internet at large.

In case it matters (it shouldn't), the VoIP client used is 'linphone'.

Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?

<u0f8an$31pb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10456&group=comp.os.linux.misc#10456

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:10:15 +0100
 by: Pancho - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 19:10 UTC

On 03/04/2023 19:30, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-04-03 12:57, Pancho wrote:

>>> You forget we are talking of LAN alone.
>>
>> No, I understand that, but I have 10 years experience of Android VoIP
>> softphones being unreliable. I'm not sure why they are unreliable,
>> just a history of mild interest, and consequent prejudice.
>>
>> Someone can say my issues are due to changing external IP, that it
>> won't happen in a LAN environment, and they may be right, but I don't
>> have evidence of that.
>>
>> Suggesting one potential failure mechanism does not exclude other
>> mechanisms. You haven't excluded the possibility that aggressive power
>> saving requirements, and consequent sleep states, cause the problem.
>>
>> If someone could point to real life experience of an Andorid VoIP
>> clients working reliably on a LAN, with direct IP calls, or probably
>> more tractably via a LAN base PBX such as Asterisk, I would be more
>> convinced.
>

> Have you tried to setup a phone VoIP client without a registrar, on the
> LAN? It is a different beast altogether.

In what way is it a different beast? In fact, my home phone works by
default without a registrar. I explicitly, have to block random
connection attempts, if I don't want to get woken up in the middle of
the night. I don't see whether the initial Sip Invite comes from the WAN
or LAN makes much difference, my SIP port is forwarded/exposed to the WAN.

> Yes, of course it can fail, that is not the point.

What is the point? Someone was suggesting using an Android VoIP client
for notifications. I made the observation that android VoIP clients were
crap. My primary suspicion is that this is because of power saving.

Aggressive power saving would still apply if a SIP invite originated
from the LAN.

---
Due to recent changes on the iOS and Android operating systems, incoming
calls on Zoiper no longer work reliably in background under any set of
conditions used up until now.

On iOS this is due to the deprecation of VoIP sockets, while recent
Android powered phones restrict how often apps can wake up while in
background.
---

Cite:
<https://www.zoiper.com/en/support/home/article/205/Zoiper%20Push%20Proxy>

> And I am not going to use for my use case, but that is not the point
> either.

What is the point?

Re: sending a "beep" from computer to mobile phone?

<u0f9po$31pba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10457&group=comp.os.linux.misc#10457

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:35:20 +0100
 by: Pancho - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 19:35 UTC

On 03/04/2023 20:07, Fritz Wuehler wrote:
> Pancho <Pancho.Jo...@proton.me> [P]:
> P> If someone could point to real life experience of an Andorid
> P> VoIP client working reliably on a LAN, with direct IP calls,
> P> or probably more tractably via a LAN base PBX such as Asterisk,
> P> I would be more convinced.
>
> You probably missed the following paragraph in one of my
>
> I have been using a similar technique (ie. calling a VoIP device
> by IP, which actually is the remote end of a point-to-point VPN)
> for ages. This type of communication doesn't need (or leak) anything
> from (or to) the internet at large.
>
> In case it matters (it shouldn't), the VoIP client used is 'linphone'.

No, I saw that, but as I was discussing behaviour of power saving on
Android, the pertinent information would be if that was running on an
Android mobile phone?

Again, we see linphone, uses a specific push notification mechanism,
Google FCM, to get around Android VoIP limitations.

<https://firebase.google.com/docs/cloud-messaging>