From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAMES: Epistory
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:12:52 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:12 UTC

Is time moving faster? It seems the weeks in 2023 are zipping by more
quickly than they were in 2022. Wasn't it just seven days ago that I
announced the last bunch of free games from Epic?

Well, whatever. Here's another one.

* Epistory - Typing Chronicles
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/epistory-typing-chronicles-445794
When I first saw this game announced as the next Epic freebie, I
thought to myself, "Wait, didn't they give this game away for free
already?" But no. It was free on Steam, and Twitch, and HumbleBundle,
and Amazon Prime, but not yet on Epic. Whew! Dodged a close one there.
Anyway, this is a top-down adventure game featuring a girl riding a
giant fox through a fantasy landscape (as one does). You fight
monsters by typing out the words hovering above them (think "Typing of
the Dead").

Reviews indicate that while its individual parts are all satisfyingly
well made, they don't quite gel together too well. It seems like an
interesting experiment that could have used a bit more time in the
oven, so fairly typical for an Indie game. Nonetheless, I guess I'll
grab it, if only to so I can say I have it on Epic as well as
everywhere else. I want to have a complete collection, after all.

Seven days to add it to your library. That sounds like a lot of time,
but just you watch; it'll seem like it's only a week.

Re: FREE GAMES: Epistory

<tqck64$lj6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10524&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10524

From: MetalG...@TryAgainSpammer.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAMES: Epistory
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:36:33 -0500
 by: Metal Guru - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 23:36 UTC

On 1/19/2023 11:12 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> * Epistory - Typing Chronicles
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/epistory-typing-chronicles-445794

A typing game? Ha! I still type with two fingers at a speed of about
2mpw (that's minutes per word) so obviously I took it. No intention
whatsoever of ever playing it, though.

I once tried one of them Mavis Bacon(?) typing courses that were popular
back in the 90's but promptly gave up, couldn't get past level 1 on the
easiest difficulty and that was that.

Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice...can't fool me again!

Re: FREE GAMES: Epistory

<tqdmvt$20f4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10526&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10526

From: gmke...@gmail.com (kyonshi)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 10:30:37 +0100
 by: kyonshi - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:30 UTC

On 20/01/2023 00:36, Metal Guru wrote:
> On 1/19/2023 11:12 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>> * Epistory - Typing Chronicles
>> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/epistory-typing-chronicles-445794
>

> A typing game? Ha! I still type with two fingers at a speed of about
> 2mpw (that's minutes per word) so obviously I took it. No intention
> whatsoever of ever playing it, though.
>
> I once tried one of them Mavis Bacon(?) typing courses that were popular
> back in the 90's but promptly gave up, couldn't get past level 1 on the
> easiest difficulty and that was that.
>
> Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice...can't fool me again!

I dunno, I am really fond of the Typing of the Dead series. Those
combine the bad voice acting of House of the Dead with typing and just
are delightfully stupid.

Epistore is an interesting choice because it's years old, already was on
Humble Choice ages ago (that's where I got it from), and is currently on
sale in a bundle on Humble as well. I wonder if that was intentional.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / FREE GAMES: Epistory