Except for 75% of the women, everyone in the whole world wants to have sex. -- Ellyn Mustard

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Metal keyboard?

SubjectAuthor
* Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Ant
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Chris
|`* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
| `* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|  `* Re: Metal keyboard?Chris
|   `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|    +* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|    |`- Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|    `* Re: Metal keyboard?Chris
|     `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|      `- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Bill
|+* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
||+- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||`- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|+* Re: Metal keyboard?Paul
||+- Re: Metal keyboard?David Brooks
||`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|`* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
| `* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|  `* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|   `* Re: Metal keyboard?Steve Hough
|    +* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|    |`* Re: Metal keyboard?David Brooks
|    | `- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|    `- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Paul
|+* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||`* Re: Metal keyboard?Chris Ridd
|| `- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|+* Re: Metal keyboard?John Hall
||+- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||+* Re: Metal keyboard?nospam
|||`* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
||| `* Re: Metal keyboard?nospam
|||  +- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||  `* Re: Metal keyboard?NY
|||   `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||    `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||     `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||      `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||       +* Re: Metal keyboard?Paul
|||       |`- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||       `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||        `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||         `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||          `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||           `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||            `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||             `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||              `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||               `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||                `* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|||                 `* Re: Metal keyboard?Carlos E.R.
|||                  `- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
||`* Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|| `- Re: Metal keyboard?John Hall
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Philip Herlihy
|`* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
| `* Re: Metal keyboard?VanguardLH
|  +- Re: Metal keyboard?chop
|  +- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|  +- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|  +- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|  `* Re: Metal keyboard?Chris
|   `* Re: Metal keyboard?chop
|    `- Re: Metal keyboard?VanguardLH
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|+* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||`* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|| `* Re: Metal keyboard?J. J. Lodder
||  `* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||   +* Re: Metal keyboard?David Brooks
||   |+* Re: Metal keyboard?James Wilkinson Sword
||   ||`- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
||   |+- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||   |+- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||   |`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
||   `- Re: Metal keyboard?Rod Speed
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Zaidy036
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?James Wilkinson Sword
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?...winston
|`* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
| `* Re: Metal keyboard?...winston
|  `* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|   `* Re: Metal keyboard?...winston
|    +* Re: Metal keyboard?David Brooks
|    |`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
|    `- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Anton Shepelev
|`- Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Mr. Man-wai Chang
|`* Re: Metal keyboard?Commander Kinsey
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Zaidy036
+* Re: Metal keyboard?Anton Shepelev
`* Re: Metal keyboard?al

Pages:12345
Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1yc7a92jmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1060&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1060

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Metal keyboard?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 19:34:11 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 19:34 UTC

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 15:52:30 -0000, VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a £1700 bird and I'm trying to breed them.
>
> Breed for sale? Or you want more of these noisemakers for yourself?
> If the latter, do you live in a residence with separate walls from your
> neighbors? Won't take many complaints if you're in an apartment or
> condo to force you to lose them.
>
> Have you looked into the cost and regulations regarding parrot breeding.
> You'll also need the tool and closed rings to mark the birds for sale
> which must be attached within 2 to 3 weeks after their hatching. Both
> parent and offspring must have been bred in captivity, so your breeders
> must have closed rings, and their sale included proof of captive
> breeding for the parent birds.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/selling-animals-as-pets-licence-england

"You do not need a licence to sell a small number of offspring of pets that you’ve bred, for example as a hobby. However, if you do this often or with ***many animals*** you ***may*** be classed as a business and ***may*** need a licence."

So only on a big scale. Again, fuck you.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydb5gfhmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1061&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1061

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 21:18:42 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 21:18 UTC

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 20:50:41 -0000, J. J. Lodder <nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

>> > Useless. Parrot beaks are strong enough for mangling metal keys too.
>> > You need a keyboard cage,
>>
>> Parrots do not bend metal surely? They can undo nuts (but not nylock
>> ones) but I've never known them bend metal. It's an African Grey.
>
> I see big ones quoted at 400 psi, stronger then a Rottweiler,
> and three times stronger than a human bite. (about 35 bar, 3.5MPa)
> Strong enough to crack macadamia nuts or to bite off a finger.

I guess you mean a scarlet (or greenwing, or blue and gold) macaw (or a cockatoo)?

Do you know what an African grey is quoted at? All I can find is the most powerful one, a Moluccan Cockatoo, with 500 PSI.

I guess rotating a nylock nut requires a different direction of strength then biting through something. That will be the neck muscle, not the beak muscle.

> Guess your best bet is to cover your keyboard while away,

I simply move it off the desk to a small table in the corner which for some reason he never goes to. It's where I put anything I don't want attacked, like the mail.

The problem arises when I forget or stupidly think I'm only leaving the room for 2 minutes.

> and to defend it manually while behind it,

He doesn't attack it when I'm using it. Instead he interacts with me or anything I'm eating.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<uZycnSBH3ZCPDiX-nZ2dnZfqnPhh4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1062&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1062

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 21:30:58 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 21:30 UTC

On 06/01/2023 03:09, nospam wrote:

>>> get a keyboard cover, ideally, a clear one before the markings wear off
>>
>> Backlit keyboards work much better.
>
> it's not either/or. do both.

Backlit keyboard are great - providing it is only the letter which is
illuminated. My laptop has an illuminated keyboard - you can turn this
on or off, and even set different colours in different areas of the
keyboard (the latter is a silly gimmick IMHO). But the light spills out
from under the keytops so if you are using the laptop in dim light
(needing the keys to be illuminated) you see a load of coloured
rectangles as the light spills out from under the keytops, and a fainter
light of the letters themselves. Crap "form over function" design.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydfusj8mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1063&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1063

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 22:38:42 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:38 UTC

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 22:06:16 -0000, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 06/01/2023 20:50, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> Parrots do not bend metal surely? They can undo nuts (but not nylock
>>> ones) but I've never known them bend metal. It's an African Grey.
>>
>> I see big ones quoted at 400 psi, stronger then a Rottweiler,
>> and three times stronger than a human bite. (about 35 bar, 3.5MPa)
>> Strong enough to crack macadamia nuts or to bite off a finger.
>>
>> Guess your best bet is to cover your keyboard while away,
>> and to defend it manualy while behind it,
>
> Those Norwegian Blues can be tough!

Vice does not operate correctly without power applied.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<0nnm8jxa0o.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1064&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1064

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:33:20 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 23:33 UTC

On 2023-01-06 22:30, NY wrote:
> On 06/01/2023 03:09, nospam wrote:

>>> Backlit keyboards work much better.
>>
>> it's not either/or. do both.
>
> Backlit keyboard are great - providing it is only the letter which is
> illuminated. My laptop has an illuminated keyboard - you can turn this
> on or off, and even set different colours in different areas of the
> keyboard (the latter is a silly gimmick IMHO). But the light spills out
> from under the keytops so if you are using the laptop in dim light
> (needing the keys to be illuminated) you see a load of coloured
> rectangles as the light spills out from under the keytops, and a fainter
> light of the letters themselves. Crap "form over function" design.

I have a backlit keyboard that is almost useless: the light is too dim,
and the clear plastic with the letters is too dark. It is difficult to
read the letters, with internal light or external light. No contrast.
Zalman ZM-K-400G (gaming keyboard).

I had to buy another, not backlit. Ttesports by Thermaltake. In this one
the keys are fading, but not fully. Both mechanical keyboards, not cheap.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydi1tfxbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1065&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1065

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 10:47:43 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 23:47 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 10:33:20 +1100, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
wrote:

> On 2023-01-06 22:30, NY wrote:
>> On 06/01/2023 03:09, nospam wrote:

>>> it's not either/or. do both.
>> Backlit keyboard are great - providing it is only the letter which is
>> illuminated. My laptop has an illuminated keyboard - you can turn this
>> on or off, and even set different colours in different areas of the
>> keyboard (the latter is a silly gimmick IMHO). But the light spills out
>> from under the keytops so if you are using the laptop in dim light
>> (needing the keys to be illuminated) you see a load of coloured
>> rectangles as the light spills out from under the keytops, and a
>> fainter light of the letters themselves. Crap "form over function"
>> design.
>

> I have a backlit keyboard that is almost useless: the light is too dim,
> and the clear plastic with the letters is too dark. It is difficult to
> read the letters, with internal light or external light. No contrast.
> Zalman ZM-K-400G (gaming keyboard).

We were discussing the fact that a backlit keyboard has to
have double injection keytops so the letters never wear off.

> I had to buy another, not backlit.

Plenty of backlit keyboards have very visible letters.

> Ttesports by Thermaltake. In this one the keys are fading, but not fully.

Doesnt happen with backlit keyboards.

> Both mechanical keyboards, not cheap.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tpae7j$39ubn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1066&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1066

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:26:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oQQhTeQnBUtZJFifCmML4YlDhQs=
 by: Chris - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:26 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a £1700 bird and I'm trying to breed them.
>
> Breed for sale? Or you want more of these noisemakers for yourself? If
> the latter, do you live in a residence with separate walls from your
> neighbors? Won't take many complaints if you're in an apartment or
> condo to force you to lose them.
>
> Have you looked into the cost and regulations regarding parrot breeding.
> You'll also need the tool and closed rings to mark the birds for sale
> which must be attached within 2 to 3 weeks after their hatching. Both
> parent and offspring must have been bred in captivity, so your breeders
> must have closed rings, and their sale included proof of captive
> breeding for the parent birds.
>
> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-sell-captive-bred-live-wild-birds/licence-to-sell-captive-bred-live-birds-gl18
> (you mentioned Pounds for price of the birds, but not where you are)
>
> Just because you own an animal doesn't grant permission to breed them
> for sale of offspring. Hmm, is there an equivalent of ASPCA wherever is
> the OP? RSPCA maybe? Doesn't seem you have adequate environs for
> breeding birds.

He's in Scotland so it's the SSPCA. Given his attitudes on the legality of
various things, I doubt he cares.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydlx71qnuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1067&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1067

From: chop...@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 11:50:21 +1100
 by: chop - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:50 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 11:26:27 +1100, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>> Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's a £1700 bird and I'm trying to breed them.
>>
>> Breed for sale? Or you want more of these noisemakers for yourself? If
>> the latter, do you live in a residence with separate walls from your
>> neighbors? Won't take many complaints if you're in an apartment or
>> condo to force you to lose them.
>>
>> Have you looked into the cost and regulations regarding parrot breeding.
>> You'll also need the tool and closed rings to mark the birds for sale
>> which must be attached within 2 to 3 weeks after their hatching. Both
>> parent and offspring must have been bred in captivity, so your breeders
>> must have closed rings, and their sale included proof of captive
>> breeding for the parent birds.
>>
>> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-sell-captive-bred-live-wild-birds/licence-to-sell-captive-bred-live-birds-gl18
>> (you mentioned Pounds for price of the birds, but not where you are)
>>
>> Just because you own an animal doesn't grant permission to breed them
>> for sale of offspring. Hmm, is there an equivalent of ASPCA wherever is
>> the OP? RSPCA maybe? Doesn't seem you have adequate environs for
>> breeding birds.
>
> He's in Scotland so it's the SSPCA. Given his attitudes on the legality
> of
> various things, I doubt he cares.

And if he isnt lying about it, they appear to think that his
arrangements are paradise for the birds. Sounds likely.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<ufum8jxhj1.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1068&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1068

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 02:29:02 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 01:29 UTC

On 2023-01-07 00:47, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 10:33:20 +1100, Carlos E.R. <> wrote:

>>>  Backlit keyboard are great - providing it is only the letter which
>>> is illuminated. My laptop has an illuminated keyboard - you can turn
>>> this on or off, and even set different colours in different areas of
>>> the keyboard (the latter is a silly gimmick IMHO). But the light
>>> spills out from under the keytops so if you are using the laptop in
>>> dim light (needing the keys to be illuminated) you see a load of
>>> coloured rectangles as the light spills out from under the keytops,
>>> and a fainter light of the letters themselves. Crap "form over
>>> function" design.
>>

>> I have a backlit keyboard that is almost useless: the light is too
>> dim, and the clear plastic with the letters is too dark. It is
>> difficult to read the letters, with internal light or external light.
>> No contrast. Zalman ZM-K-400G (gaming keyboard).
>
> We were discussing the fact that a backlit keyboard has to
> have double injection keytops so the letters never wear off.

They are double injected, yet hardly visible.

>> I had to buy another, not backlit.
>
> Plenty of backlit keyboards have very visible letters.
>
>> Ttesports by Thermaltake. In this one the keys are fading, but not fully.
>
> Doesnt happen with backlit keyboards.
>
>> Both mechanical keyboards, not cheap.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydpe4u1mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1069

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 02:05:18 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 02:05 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 00:32:27 -0000, Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/2023 00:13, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 23:50:21 -0000, Bruce Horrocks
>> <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

>>> There are people on Etsy selling stainless steel and aluminium keycaps
>>> but they very expensive - £20 plus per key!
>>>
>>> Rather than an expensive metal keyboard perhaps you could settle for a
>>> cheap budgie^Wbudget one. :-)
>>
>> I already have a cheapo one and regularly swap parts, but the same keys
>> are attacked so I run out of them. These Etsy ones, can you buy
>> individual keys? And will they fit any keyboard?
>
> I didn't want to single out any specific store as I have no experience
> of using them. Use the following URL to search within Etsy and you can
> then see for yourself.
>
> <https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=metal%20keycaps>
>
> They're usually marked as Cherry MX compatible which means that they
> should work in most mechanical keyboards.

Holy shit Etsy costs a fortune. So er.... cheapest I can see is £12 a key, that's 4 times the cost of my entire keyboard. Ok, I could buy a few for the corner he attacks, but.... "Cherry compatible" - right.... every keyboard I've ever bought has a slightly different shape, so there's no way those will fit my keyboard. I can see from a photo the underside is a little circular thing. Mine are square. Also if the first few were metal, I bet he'd go for the first plastic one.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydrclspbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1070&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1070

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 13:46:59 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 02:46 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 12:29:02 +1100, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid>
wrote:

> On 2023-01-07 00:47, Rod Speed wrote:

>>> I have a backlit keyboard that is almost useless: the light is too
>>> dim, and the clear plastic with the letters is too dark. It is
>>> difficult to read the letters, with internal light or external light.
>>> No contrast. Zalman ZM-K-400G (gaming keyboard).
>> We were discussing the fact that a backlit keyboard has to
>> have double injection keytops so the letters never wear off.

> They are double injected, yet hardly visible.

But won't wear off and you can see before buying that
you don't like the visibility.

>>> I had to buy another, not backlit.
>> Plenty of backlit keyboards have very visible letters.
>>
>>> Ttesports by Thermaltake. In this one the keys are fading, but not
>>> fully.
>> Doesnt happen with backlit keyboards.
>>
>>> Both mechanical keyboards, not cheap.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tparde$3dsvl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1071&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1071

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 21:10:55 -0700
 by: ...winston - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 04:10 UTC

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message news:op.1yc59omxmvhs6z@ryzen.home...

> How very strange. So they collect valuable birds "for free", then
> presumably
> bring them to health and sell them? Is this for people who can't afford
> the vet? They're "paying" the price of their bird to repair it?
>
> And I very much doubt Valleywide Parrot Rescue is Earthwide.

:)
My frame of reference was a solution to your birds keyboard diet.
No birds, no need for metal keyboard

-- --
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ydvs2yjmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1072&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1072

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 04:23:16 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 04:23 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 04:10:55 -0000, ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Commander Kinsey" wrote in message news:op.1yc59omxmvhs6z@ryzen.home....
>>
>> How very strange. So they collect valuable birds "for free", then
>> presumably
>> bring them to health and sell them? Is this for people who can't afford
>> the vet? They're "paying" the price of their bird to repair it?
>>
>> And I very much doubt Valleywide Parrot Rescue is Earthwide.
>
> :)
> My frame of reference was a solution to your birds keyboard diet.
> No birds, no need for metal keyboard

You did not research enough, I am too far from the rescue centre.

And people don't throw away birds costing £1700 here. Merkins maybe are that stupid.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<dlfxgxtczodv.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1073&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1073

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:47:45 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 06:47 UTC

chop <chop654@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 11:26:27 +1100, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Breed for sale? Or you want more of these noisemakers for yourself? If
>>> the latter, do you live in a residence with separate walls from your
>>> neighbors? Won't take many complaints if you're in an apartment or
>>> condo to force you to lose them.
>>>
>>> Have you looked into the cost and regulations regarding parrot breeding.
>>> You'll also need the tool and closed rings to mark the birds for sale
>>> which must be attached within 2 to 3 weeks after their hatching. Both
>>> parent and offspring must have been bred in captivity, so your breeders
>>> must have closed rings, and their sale included proof of captive
>>> breeding for the parent birds.
>>>
>>> https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-sell-captive-bred-live-wild-birds/licence-to-sell-captive-bred-live-birds-gl18
>>> (you mentioned Pounds for price of the birds, but not where you are)
>>>
>>> Just because you own an animal doesn't grant permission to breed them
>>> for sale of offspring. Hmm, is there an equivalent of ASPCA wherever is
>>> the OP? RSPCA maybe? Doesn't seem you have adequate environs for
>>> breeding birds.
>>
>> He's in Scotland so it's the SSPCA. Given his attitudes on the legality
>> of
>> various things, I doubt he cares.
>
> And if he isnt lying about it, they appear to think that his
> arrangements are paradise for the birds. Sounds likely.

When his "breeding" birds are young or have eggs, they become very
territorial, so fighting is often. Breeding parrots need to be
separated, so they need their own custom breeding aviary with separate
sections for each pair. The OP has no such breeding environs. His
breeding attempt will fail, likely with dead birds, and the lone
survivor cannot self-perpetuate.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tpb58l$3em1b$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1074&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1074

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 01:59:33 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 06:59 UTC

On 1/6/2023 9:46 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 12:29:02 +1100, Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>> They are double injected, yet hardly visible.
>
> But won't wear off and you can see before buying that
> you don't like the visibility.

I checked mine, and the keys are double-shot and not very
thick. They don't use a light pipe concept. The LED is
mounted above the post where the keycaps connects, and
it spills a bit of light on the uphill side of the key,
and almost no light on the downhill side of the post.
The LEDs are fitted with lenses (so most of the light
focuses on the double-shot area). If they wanted to, simply
changing the mold for the key body, could have blocked
that light, so that's done on purpose.

When I bought mine, it was during COVID, and you weren't
really able to examine the product at all. I got whatever
keyboard was easiest to see in the display. I didn't really
go into the store planning to get a double-shot backlit,
but that's what I ended up with.

As you went around the store, a clerk went with you, and
I would point at an item (the keyboard), and the clerk would
carry it to the cash for you.

https://www.amazon.ca/XPG-INFAREX-K20-Mechanical-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B07D1DC5QN

The pictures there don't make it very attractive looking, and
perhaps they took the promo shots with the LEDs set to max.
There are some keys that change the LED settings, and I usually
keep it on the min setting. Like right now, the computer
that is connected to is "soft off", the +5VSB is still
running, and I can turn the LEDs on or off, without the
CPU needed to change anything. The LEDs have at least
nine levels globally, but I use the lowest level. With the
LEDs completely off, the keycap contrast is poor.

The light intensity of each row is different, and the home
row is brightest. No attempt was made, to balance the row intensities.

I'm sure a parrot would find those key caps, delicious. As
the keyboard is just as defenseless as the plain keyboard
I'm typing on.

Paul

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tpb6ii$3epq3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1075&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1075

From: winston...@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:21:43 -0700
 by: ...winston - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 07:21 UTC

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message news:op.1ydvs2yjmvhs6z@ryzen.home...
>On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 04:10:55 -0000, ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>wrote:
> "Commander Kinsey" wrote in message news:op.1yc59omxmvhs6z@ryzen.home...
>>>
>>> How very strange. So they collect valuable birds "for free", then
>>> presumably
>>> bring them to health and sell them? Is this for people who can't
>>> afford
>>> the vet? They're "paying" the price of their bird to repair it?
>>>
>> And I very much doubt Valleywide Parrot Rescue is Earthwide.
>>
>> :)
>> My frame of reference was a solution to your birds keyboard diet.
>> No birds, no need for metal keyboard

> You did not research enough, I am too far from the rescue centre.

> And people don't throw away birds costing £1700 here. Merkins maybe are
> that stupid.

No research needed.
Just practical. No birds, no chomping.
Problem solved. <g>

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Metal keyboard?

<c0rn8jxkfb.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1076&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1076

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 10:35:40 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:35 UTC

On 2023-01-07 03:46, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 12:29:02 +1100, Carlos E.R. <> wrote:

>>>  We were discussing the fact that a backlit keyboard has to
>>> have double injection keytops so the letters never wear off.
>
>> They are double injected, yet hardly visible.
>
> But won't wear off and you can see before buying that
> you don't like the visibility.

No, I can't see them before buying except on photos and comments.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tpbsq5$3gv2e$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1077

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:13:59 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 13:13 UTC

On 5/1/2023 2:09 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a computer keyboard with metal keys? I' am looking for a parrot proof keyboard as mine pulls off the plastic ones and chews them.

There are cast iron keycaps!

Full-metal keyboard will be really heavy, but why not given 3D printing?

Re: Metal keyboard?

<QFfuL.324813$9sn9.21099@fx17.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1078

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: David...@home.now (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:51:28 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:51 UTC

On 07/01/2023 07:21, ...winston wrote:
> "Commander Kinsey"  wrote in message news:op.1ydvs2yjmvhs6z@ryzen.home...
>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 04:10:55 -0000, ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> And I very much doubt Valleywide Parrot Rescue is Earthwide.
>>>
>>> :)
>>> My frame of reference was a solution to your birds keyboard diet.
>>> No birds, no need for metal keyboard
>
>> You did not research enough, I am too far from the rescue centre.
>
>> And people don't throw away birds costing £1700 here.  Merkins maybe
>> are that stupid.
>
> No research needed.
> Just practical. No birds, no chomping.
> Problem solved.  <g>

Why Apple’s Absurdly Expensive iPad Cases Are Totally Worth It
The price hurts, but the case will last for years!

https://www.lifewire.com/why-apples-absurdly-expensive-ipad-cases-are-totally-worth-it-7091257

Have /you/ got an iPad now?

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1yeqxhbgmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1079&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1079

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 15:35:31 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 15:35 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 14:51:28 -0000, David Brooks <David.is@home.now> wrote:

> On 07/01/2023 07:21, ...winston wrote:
>> "Commander Kinsey" wrote in message news:op.1ydvs2yjmvhs6z@ryzen.home...
>>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 04:10:55 -0000, ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> You did not research enough, I am too far from the rescue centre.
>>
>>> And people don't throw away birds costing £1700 here. Merkins maybe
>>> are that stupid.
>>
>> No research needed.
>> Just practical. No birds, no chomping.
>> Problem solved. <g>
>
> Why Apple’s Absurdly Expensive iPad Cases Are Totally Worth It
> The price hurts, but the case will last for years!
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/why-apples-absurdly-expensive-ipad-cases-are-totally-worth-it-7091257
>
> Have /you/ got an iPad now?

Only fools buy Apple. No point in paying 10 times as much for something that lasts twice as long. Just buy two of the cheap ones.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1yeqx8xemvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1080&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1080

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 15:35:58 -0000

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 07:21:43 -0000, ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Commander Kinsey" wrote in message news:op.1ydvs2yjmvhs6z@ryzen.home....
>> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 04:10:55 -0000, ...winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> And I very much doubt Valleywide Parrot Rescue is Earthwide.
>>>
>>> :)
>>> My frame of reference was a solution to your birds keyboard diet.
>>> No birds, no need for metal keyboard
>
>> You did not research enough, I am too far from the rescue centre.
>
>> And people don't throw away birds costing £1700 here. Merkins maybe are
>> that stupid.
>
> No research needed.
> Just practical. No birds, no chomping.
> Problem solved. <g>

Selling would be more lucrative than giving away. That company deals with idiots.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1yeq1kt6mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1081&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1081

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 15:37:58 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 15:37 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 13:13:59 -0000, Mr. Man-wai Chang <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/1/2023 2:09 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> Is there such a thing as a computer keyboard with metal keys? I' am looking for a parrot proof keyboard as mine pulls off the plastic ones and chews them.
>
> There are cast iron keycaps!

Show me one at a sensible price and I'll buy it. That means no Etsy. Who the fuck buys from there?

> Full-metal keyboard will be really heavy, but why not given 3D printing?

I thought 3D printers printed in plastic?

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tpcc46$3iibb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1082&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1082

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 13:02:45 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 18:02 UTC

On 1/7/2023 10:37 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 13:13:59 -0000, Mr. Man-wai Chang <toylet.toylet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/1/2023 2:09 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> Is there such a thing as a computer keyboard with metal keys?  I' am looking for a parrot proof keyboard as mine pulls off the plastic ones and chews them.
>>
>> There are cast iron keycaps!
>
> Show me one at a sensible price and I'll buy it.  That means no Etsy.  Who the fuck buys from there?
>
>> Full-metal keyboard will be really heavy, but why not given 3D printing?
>
> I thought 3D printers printed in plastic?

https://markforged.com/resources/blog/metal-3d-printing-process

capable of printing in

17-4 PH Stainless Steel
H13, A2, and D2 Tool Steels
Copper
Inconel 625

It's an additive process with sintered metals.

And it's not for hobbyists. You would have to make
a *lot* of parts for people, to pay for the machine.
And only the machine company profits from this. I doubt
you can profit, without charging a lot per part made.

The trick with these processes, is how hard is the
resulting metal. They use a powdered metal in a plastic
carrier, and remove some of the plastic with solvent,
and some of the plastic in the furnace. The purpose of
the plastic, is so the powdered metal doesn't go all over
the place. Presumably the furnace uses an inert gas,
so stuff isn't oxidizing in there.

*******

There is one <cough> "rocket company" that prints complete
rocket engine bodies.

https://www.relativityspace.com/stargate

"fully reusable, entirely 3D printed rocket, Terran R"

Which means the rocket body can take a bit of heat.

There will still be parts that can't be printed. Not
without compromising the performance of the thing
being build. Niobium engine bells or turbine blades.

Paul

Re: Metal keyboard?

<op.1ye1kfefmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1083&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1083

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 19:25:17 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 19:25 UTC

On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 18:02:45 -0000, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/7/2023 10:37 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> There are cast iron keycaps!
>>
>> Show me one at a sensible price and I'll buy it. That means no Etsy. Who the fuck buys from there?
>>
>>> Full-metal keyboard will be really heavy, but why not given 3D printing?
>>
>> I thought 3D printers printed in plastic?
>
> https://markforged.com/resources/blog/metal-3d-printing-process
>
> capable of printing in
>
> 17-4 PH Stainless Steel
> H13, A2, and D2 Tool Steels
> Copper
> Inconel 625
>
> It's an additive process with sintered metals.
>
> And it's not for hobbyists. You would have to make
> a *lot* of parts for people, to pay for the machine.
> And only the machine company profits from this. I doubt
> you can profit, without charging a lot per part made.
>
> The trick with these processes, is how hard is the
> resulting metal. They use a powdered metal in a plastic
> carrier, and remove some of the plastic with solvent,
> and some of the plastic in the furnace. The purpose of
> the plastic, is so the powdered metal doesn't go all over
> the place. Presumably the furnace uses an inert gas,
> so stuff isn't oxidizing in there.
>
> *******
>
> There is one <cough> "rocket company" that prints complete
> rocket engine bodies.
>
> https://www.relativityspace.com/stargate
>
> "fully reusable, entirely 3D printed rocket, Terran R"
>
> Which means the rocket body can take a bit of heat.
>
> There will still be parts that can't be printed. Not
> without compromising the performance of the thing
> being build. Niobium engine bells or turbine blades.

Cool, I guess that will allow much more interesting, reliable, cheaper products to be made.

Re: Metal keyboard?

<tpclo0$3ji51$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1084&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1084

From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 20:46:58 GMT
 by: Steve Hough - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 20:46 UTC

Commander Kinsey formulated the question :
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2023 00:32:27 -0000, Bruce
> Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/01/2023 00:13, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 23:50:21 -0000, Bruce
>>> Horrocks

>>> I already have a cheapo one and regularly
>>> swap parts, but the same keys
>>> are attacked so I run out of them. These
>>> Etsy ones, can you buy
>>> individual keys? And will they fit any
>>> keyboard?
>>
>> I didn't want to single out any specific
>> store as I have no experience
>> of using them. Use the following URL to
>> search within Etsy and you can
>> then see for yourself.
>>
>> <https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=metal%20keycaps>
>>
>> They're usually marked as Cherry MX
>> compatible which means that they
>> should work in most mechanical keyboards.
>
> Holy shit Etsy costs a fortune. So er....
> cheapest I can see is £12 a key, that's 4 times
> the cost of my entire keyboard. Ok, I could
> buy a few for the corner he attacks, but....
> "Cherry compatible" - right.... every keyboard
> I've ever bought has a slightly different
> shape, so there's no way those will fit my
> keyboard. I can see from a photo the underside
> is a little circular thing. Mine are square.
> Also if the first few were metal, I bet he'd go
> for the first plastic one.

Why not just train the bird not to do it??