From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: The Kerbals have competition!
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 11:47:19 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 19:47 UTC

Steam today threw an ad at me that actually caught my eye. Juno: New
Origins has just left Early Access and is on sale until Feb 2 for
US$12.99. From a brief look and review of the reviews it is much like
Kerbal Space Program with some interface and quality of life
improvements. (From the reviews, including addressing the problems I
had with KSP.)

So this is something for me to fret about "to buy or not to buy" over
the weekend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/870200/Juno_New_Origins/

dirty old man.

Re: The Kerbals have competition!

<5579th53f4ml1hdpaqsh1kjedjn8eours5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10629&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10629

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: The Kerbals have competition!
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 20:55:58 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 03:55 UTC

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 11:47:19 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Steam today threw an ad at me that actually caught my eye. Juno: New
>Origins has just left Early Access and is on sale until Feb 2 for
>US$12.99. From a brief look and review of the reviews it is much like
>Kerbal Space Program with some interface and quality of life
>improvements. (From the reviews, including addressing the problems I
>had with KSP.)
>
>So this is something for me to fret about "to buy or not to buy" over
>the weekend.
>
>https://store.steampowered.com/app/870200/Juno_New_Origins/

*---

Looks way too complicated and time consuming for me. But interesting
for sure.

-pw

Re: The Kerbals have competition!

<edkathdocha04bkb5bgl0lneu41sqip36a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10631&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10631

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:52:11 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:52 UTC

<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>Steam today threw an ad at me that actually caught my eye. Juno: New
>Origins has just left Early Access and is on sale until Feb 2 for
>US$12.99. From a brief look and review of the reviews it is much like
>Kerbal Space Program with some interface and quality of life
>improvements. (From the reviews, including addressing the problems I
>had with KSP.)

I'm not really a fan of KSP (which, anyway, is mostly an evolution of
games like 'Buzz Aldrin Race Into Space', with slightly more emphasis
on physics based shenanigans) but this one doesn't look like a
Kerbal-killer to me. Its sandbox looks a lot more simplified which
takes away a lot of the fun of Kerbal's try-anything approach. The QOL
improvements are nice, although most of those will probably be equaled
by the soon-to-release Kerbal 2.0. And the presentation lacks
character; exploring space should be exciting and epic, and the whole
thing looks drab.

IMHO, obvs.

It took me years before I got Kerbal (and then that game got
remarkably little play); unless this ends up as a freebie, I can't
imagine going out my way to acquire Juno.

Re: The Kerbals have competition!

<tr3ka6$2a6ak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10632&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10632

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 08:59:51 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:59 UTC

On 1/28/2023 8:52 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 11:47:19 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Steam today threw an ad at me that actually caught my eye. Juno: New
>> Origins has just left Early Access and is on sale until Feb 2 for
>> US$12.99. From a brief look and review of the reviews it is much like
>> Kerbal Space Program with some interface and quality of life
>> improvements. (From the reviews, including addressing the problems I
>> had with KSP.)
>>

> I'm not really a fan of KSP (which, anyway, is mostly an evolution of
> games like 'Buzz Aldrin Race Into Space', with slightly more emphasis
> on physics based shenanigans) but this one doesn't look like a
> Kerbal-killer to me. Its sandbox looks a lot more simplified which
> takes away a lot of the fun of Kerbal's try-anything approach. The QOL
> improvements are nice, although most of those will probably be equaled
> by the soon-to-release Kerbal 2.0. And the presentation lacks
> character; exploring space should be exciting and epic, and the whole
> thing looks drab.
>
> IMHO, obvs.
>
> It took me years before I got Kerbal (and then that game got
> remarkably little play); unless this ends up as a freebie, I can't
> imagine going out my way to acquire Juno.

I wasn't aware there was a Kerbal 2.0 in development.

dirty old man.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / The Kerbals have competition!