From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng
Subject: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 08:43:19 -0600
 by: olcott - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:43 UTC

int D(int (*x)())
{ int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
if (Halt_Status)
HERE: goto HERE;
return Halt_Status;
}

int main()
{ Output("Input_Halts = ", H(D,D));
Output("Input_Halts = ", D(D));
}

H(D,D) does correctly compute the mapping from its input to its reject
state on the basis that H correctly predicts that D correctly simulated
by H would never halt.

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius

Re: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct

<AjzHL.92534$wfQc.80861@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10655&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10655

Subject: Re: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy,comp.software-eng
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 18:50:57 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 23:50 UTC

On 2/16/23 9:43 AM, olcott wrote:
> int D(int (*x)())
> {
>   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>   if (Halt_Status)
>     HERE: goto HERE;
>   return Halt_Status;
> }
>
> int main()
> {
>   Output("Input_Halts = ", H(D,D));
>   Output("Input_Halts = ", D(D));
> }
>
> H(D,D) does correctly compute the mapping from its input to its reject
> state on the basis that H correctly predicts that D correctly simulated
> by H would never halt.

In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and an
input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run forever.

D(D) Halts

H(D,D) says Non-Halting and is claimed correct

Therefore H is NOT a Halting Decider, but just a POOP decider (what your
actual criteria is talking about).

Re: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct

<e796ade8-1813-4e03-b375-112a6c7f52a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10660&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10660

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:29:33 -0800 (PST)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:29 UTC

On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 5:50:59 PM UTC-6, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 2/16/23 9:43 AM, olcott wrote:
> > int D(int (*x)())
> > {
> > int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> > if (Halt_Status)
> > HERE: goto HERE;
> > return Halt_Status;
> > }
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> > Output("Input_Halts = ", H(D,D));
> > Output("Input_Halts = ", D(D));
> > }
> >
> > H(D,D) does correctly compute the mapping from its input to its reject
> > state on the basis that H correctly predicts that D correctly simulated
> > by H would never halt.
> >
> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and an
> input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run forever.
>
> D(D) Halts
>
> H(D,D) says Non-Halting and is claimed correct
>
> Therefore H is NOT a Halting Decider, but just a POOP decider (what your
> actual criteria is talking about).

"Mommy , when will this system halt?"

"Well, little Felicity , why don't you just take a practical approach , you just sit back and watch it and when it halts it has halted"

"Begin at the beginning, proceed to the end, and then halt."

Re: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct

<tsocdl$3l5sa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10664&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10664

From: news.x.r...@xoxy.net (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 12:10:15 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 17:10 UTC

On 2/17/23 9:29 AM, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 5:50:59 PM UTC-6, Richard Damon wrote:
>> On 2/16/23 9:43 AM, olcott wrote:
>>> int D(int (*x)())
>>> {
>>> int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
>>> if (Halt_Status)
>>> HERE: goto HERE;
>>> return Halt_Status;
>>> }
>>>
>>> int main()
>>> {
>>> Output("Input_Halts = ", H(D,D));
>>> Output("Input_Halts = ", D(D));
>>> }
>>>
>>> H(D,D) does correctly compute the mapping from its input to its reject
>>> state on the basis that H correctly predicts that D correctly simulated
>>> by H would never halt.
>>>
>> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
>> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and an
>> input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run forever.
>>
>> D(D) Halts
>>
>> H(D,D) says Non-Halting and is claimed correct
>>
>> Therefore H is NOT a Halting Decider, but just a POOP decider (what your
>> actual criteria is talking about).
>
> "Mommy , when will this system halt?"
>
> "Well, little Felicity , why don't you just take a practical approach , you just sit back and watch it and when it halts it has halted"
>
> "Begin at the beginning, proceed to the end, and then halt."

Actually, because we HAVE his definition of H, we know that D(D) will
halt, and does so as soon as the H(D,D) that it calls has simulated its
input D,D to the point it simulates that call to H(D,D), it will then
return 0 and then D will Halt.

PO gets confused and forgets that he has defined what H does, and
wonders what would happen if it was something different, which it can't
be at this point.

Re: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct

<7327fd29-9591-449f-8e5e-8a7808b59ff0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10688&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10688

Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 20:17:13 -0800 (PST)
From: donstock...@hotmail.com (Don Stockbauer)
 by: Don Stockbauer - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 04:17 UTC

On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 11:10:24 AM UTC-6, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 2/17/23 9:29 AM, Don Stockbauer wrote:

> >> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
> >> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and an
> >> input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run forever.
> >>
> >> D(D) Halts
> >>
> >> H(D,D) says Non-Halting and is claimed correct
> >>
> >> Therefore H is NOT a Halting Decider, but just a POOP decider (what your
> >> actual criteria is talking about).
> >
> > "Mommy , when will this system halt?"
> >
> > "Well, little Felicity , why don't you just take a practical approach , you just sit back and watch it and when it halts it has halted"
> >
> > "Begin at the beginning, proceed to the end, and then halt."
>
> Actually, because we HAVE his definition of H, we know that D(D) will
> halt, and does so as soon as the H(D,D) that it calls has simulated its
> input D,D to the point it simulates that call to H(D,D), it will then
> return 0 and then D will Halt.
>
> PO gets confused and forgets that he has defined what H does, and
> wonders what would happen if it was something different, which it can't
> be at this point.

I was just giving a practical method for determining halting, which doesn't apply at all to the discussion here.

Re: H(D,D)==0 is proven to be correct

<tt45ei$19g1f$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10689&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10689

From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 22:24:49 -0600
 by: olcott - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 04:24 UTC

On 2/21/2023 10:17 PM, Don Stockbauer wrote:
> On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 11:10:24 AM UTC-6, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> "Mommy , when will this system halt?"
>>>
>>> "Well, little Felicity , why don't you just take a practical approach , you just sit back and watch it and when it halts it has halted"
>>>
>>> "Begin at the beginning, proceed to the end, and then halt."
>>
>> Actually, because we HAVE his definition of H, we know that D(D) will
>> halt, and does so as soon as the H(D,D) that it calls has simulated its
>> input D,D to the point it simulates that call to H(D,D), it will then
>> return 0 and then D will Halt.
>>
>> PO gets confused and forgets that he has defined what H does, and
>> wonders what would happen if it was something different, which it can't
>> be at this point.
>
> I was just giving a practical method for determining halting, which doesn't apply at all to the discussion here.

int D(int (*x)())
{ int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
if (Halt_Status)
HERE: goto HERE;
return Halt_Status;
}

It is a verified fact that H correctly predicts that D correctly
simulated by H would never reach its own final state and terminate
normally, thus H does correctly decide halting for its input D.

Anyone with sufficient software engineering skill knows that
*D simulated by H cannot possibly correctly reach its ret instruction*
Everyone else lacks sufficient software engineering skill or lies

_D()
[00001d12] 55 push ebp
[00001d13] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00001d15] 51 push ecx
[00001d16] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00001d19] 50 push eax // push D
[00001d1a] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00001d1d] 51 push ecx // push D
[00001d1e] e83ff8ffff call 00001562 // call H
[00001d23] 83c408 add esp,+08
[00001d26] 8945fc mov [ebp-04],eax
[00001d29] 837dfc00 cmp dword [ebp-04],+00
[00001d2d] 7402 jz 00001d31
[00001d2f] ebfe jmp 00001d2f
[00001d31] 8b45fc mov eax,[ebp-04]
[00001d34] 8be5 mov esp,ebp
[00001d36] 5d pop ebp
[00001d37] c3 ret

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius