From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:39:22 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:39 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote

> Microsoft claims Apple said no due to pressure by Google.

Sensible logic implies otherwise... as Apple isn't the type of company to
succumb to "pressure" (as even Meta couldn't sway Apple, for example).

If you read any article about Apple's incestuous relationship with Google
(and vice versa), the word "lucrative" shows up tellingly.

Given that Google is Apple's biggest customer (as far as I remember), and
that Apple sold its users' privacy to Google (who is Apple's biggest
customer), I'd say that greed was the reason and not "pressure" by M$.

This is not to say Microsoft isn't greedy (they are), nor is it to say that
Google isn't as greedy as is Apple (they are too); but just that Apple's
reasons likely had more to do with how much they made from the Google deal.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufpr63$1t01q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1067&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1067

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo
in Safari's private mode
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3LKUXs1Vds+t3aIFg7VOpwnX0iw=
 by: badgolferman - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:37 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote
>
>> Microsoft claims Apple said no due to pressure by Google.
>
> Sensible logic implies otherwise... as Apple isn't the type of company to
> succumb to "pressure" (as even Meta couldn't sway Apple, for example).
>
> If you read any article about Apple's incestuous relationship with Google
> (and vice versa), the word "lucrative" shows up tellingly.
>
> Given that Google is Apple's biggest customer (as far as I remember), and
> that Apple sold its users' privacy to Google (who is Apple's biggest
> customer), I'd say that greed was the reason and not "pressure" by M$.
>
> This is not to say Microsoft isn't greedy (they are), nor is it to say that
> Google isn't as greedy as is Apple (they are too); but just that Apple's
> reasons likely had more to do with how much they made from the Google deal.

According to what I’ve seen here Apple has the purest of intentions, never
lies, values your privacy, makes the best hardware and software, and hates
capitalism. How could you equate Apple to Google and Microsoft? Your Name
will have a conniption!

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufps0s$16g2s$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1068&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1068

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 16:51:39 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:51 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

>> This is not to say Microsoft isn't greedy (they are), nor is it to say that
>> Google isn't as greedy as is Apple (they are too); but just that Apple's
>> reasons likely had more to do with how much they made from the Google deal.
>>

> According to what I've seen here Apple has the purest of intentions, never
> lies, values your privacy, makes the best hardware and software, and hates
> capitalism. How could you equate Apple to Google and Microsoft? Your Name
> will have a conniption!

I can't disagree with you that Apple is Jesus himself incarnated, born of
the Virgin and incapable of sinning in the name of their investors behalf.

You don't even have to believe me as Apple will tell it to you straight.

Apple said in Your Name's own .macrumors reference, and I quote
"‌Eddy Cue‌ this week had to testify in the trial, and he explained
why Google is the ‌iPhone‌'s default search engine. "We make Google
be the default search engine because we've always thought it was
the best," Cue said. He went on to say that Apple has not gone
with another search engine provider because there is no
"valid alternative."

See? *No money involved.*

Apple went with Google purely because "we always thought it was the best."
Plus. "There is no valid alternative" to Google's search engine.

*Nothing about money here*.

Nor any mention about selling Apple users' privacy to the highest bidder.
--
I prefer to discuss topics on the Apple Usenet newsgroups at the level
an adult would appreciate and not at the level of the child-like iKooks.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufq934$1v92s$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1069

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in
Safari's private mode
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:34:44 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:34 UTC

On 2023-10-06 13:37, badgolferman wrote:
> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote
>>
>>> Microsoft claims Apple said no due to pressure by Google.
>>
>> Sensible logic implies otherwise... as Apple isn't the type of company to
>> succumb to "pressure" (as even Meta couldn't sway Apple, for example).
>>
>> If you read any article about Apple's incestuous relationship with Google
>> (and vice versa), the word "lucrative" shows up tellingly.
>>
>> Given that Google is Apple's biggest customer (as far as I remember), and
>> that Apple sold its users' privacy to Google (who is Apple's biggest
>> customer), I'd say that greed was the reason and not "pressure" by M$.
>>
>> This is not to say Microsoft isn't greedy (they are), nor is it to say that
>> Google isn't as greedy as is Apple (they are too); but just that Apple's
>> reasons likely had more to do with how much they made from the Google deal.
>>

> According to what I’ve seen here Apple has the purest of intentions, never
> lies, values your privacy, makes the best hardware and software, and hates
> capitalism. How could you equate Apple to Google and Microsoft? Your Name
> will have a conniption!

Try not to be an ass...

....well, that ship's long-since sailed.

Try not to be as big an ass as Arlen.

Apple is a for-profit company that believes there is value in selling
physical products and letting its customers know they aren't in the
business of selling their data.

I can go into Safari and change my default search from Google...

....to Yahoo...

....to Bing...

....to DuckDuckGo...

....to Ecosia.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<aP1UM.13289$MJ59.7607@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1070&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1070

Safari's private mode
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:41:42 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:41 UTC

On 2023-10-06 20:34, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-10-06 13:37, badgolferman wrote:
>> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote

>>> Sensible logic implies otherwise... as Apple isn't the type of
>>> company to
>>> succumb to "pressure" (as even Meta couldn't sway Apple, for example).
>>>
>>> If you read any article about Apple's incestuous relationship with
>>> Google
>>> (and vice versa), the word "lucrative" shows up tellingly.
>>>
>>> Given that Google is Apple's biggest customer (as far as I remember),
>>> and
>>> that Apple sold its users' privacy to Google (who is Apple's biggest
>>> customer), I'd say that greed was the reason and not "pressure" by M$.
>>>
>>> This is not to say Microsoft isn't greedy (they are), nor is it to
>>> say that
>>> Google isn't as greedy as is Apple (they are too); but just that Apple's
>>> reasons likely had more to do with how much they made from the Google
>>> deal.
>>>

>> According to what I’ve seen here Apple has the purest of intentions,
>> never
>> lies, values your privacy, makes the best hardware and software, and
>> hates
>> capitalism. How could you equate Apple to Google and Microsoft? Your Name
>> will have a conniption!
>
> Try not to be an ass...
>
> ...well, that ship's long-since sailed.
>
> Try not to be as big an ass as Arlen.

Not sure what sucks more ... Being troll Arlen, or his little
supporting yappy chihuahua "badgolferman"?

And on the "pressing I need to know scale of 1 .. 10",
this is about -1000.

And only because I'm tired of the 0 key.

> Apple is a for-profit company that believes there is value in selling
> physical products and letting its customers know they aren't in the
> business of selling their data.
>
> I can go into Safari and change my default search from Google...
>
> ...to Yahoo...
>
> ...to Bing...
>
> ...to DuckDuckGo...
>
> ...to Ecosia.

As the tip of the iceberg.

Another thing ... I can use Apple Mail with most any e-mail service that
I want on Mac/iOS/iPad OS...

Sorry, not 'any' of them, but as _many_ of them as I need or want.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.