It's easy to get on the internet and forget you have a life -- Topic on #LinuxGER

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Another M2 Macbook performance article

SubjectAuthor
* Another M2 Macbook performance articleThomas E.
+- Re: Another M2 Macbook performance articleAlan
`* Re: Another M2 Macbook performance articleAndy Burnelli
 +- Re: Another M2 Macbook performance articleAlan
 `- Some perspective on CPU hardware flaws for Arlen (was Re: Another M2Alan

1
Another M2 Macbook performance article

<e8e15b56-c0ab-42dc-9a65-cbb99742a70an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10748&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10748

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 13:03:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Another M2 Macbook performance article
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 20:03 UTC

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-m2-macbook-pro-hits-108-degrees-celsius/

"Apple’s M2 chip found in the 13-inch MacBook Pro might struggle under pressure, found Vadim Yuryev of Max Tech on YouTube. The YouTuber tested the new MacBook Pro in order to see how it deals with extremely resource-heavy tasks."

"This resulted in severe throttling upon hitting high temperatures, highlighting that Apple’s design choices for the laptop might not be ideal in terms of cooling."

"Even though most users won’t require that kind of power from their new 13-inch MacBook Pro, it’s still bothersome that it can heat up to 108 degrees Celsius and that this results in severe throttling. Whether you should buy it largely depends on the kind of workloads you’re planning to engage in. It can probably handle all manner of computing, but as shown by the test, the extremes appear to be reserved for high-end Macs."

"As for the M2 MacBook Pro, it seems to be having a bit of a rough start. Some reports pointed toward poor performance in various multitasking apps that are on the resource-heavy side, such as Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and Lightroom. Other sources, including Max Tech, reported that the read and write speeds on the SSD in the 256GB version of the M2 MacBook Pro are much worse than those of its M1 predecessor. However, this problem only seems to apply to the entry-level version, and users who choose the option with more storage don’t suffer from this issue. It’s most likely linked to the fact that when all of the 8GB of Apple Unified memory has been used up, the M2 MacBook Pro dips into the 256GB reserve on the SSD and uses it as virtual memory."

Re: Another M2 Macbook performance article

<ta4sdu$4lvu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10750&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10750

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Another M2 Macbook performance article
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 13:47:58 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 20:47 UTC

On 2022-07-06 13:03, Thomas E. wrote:
> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-m2-macbook-pro-hits-108-degrees-celsius/
>
> "Apple’s M2 chip found in the 13-inch MacBook Pro might struggle under pressure, found Vadim Yuryev of Max Tech on YouTube. The YouTuber tested the new MacBook Pro in order to see how it deals with extremely resource-heavy tasks."
>
> "This resulted in severe throttling upon hitting high temperatures, highlighting that Apple’s design choices for the laptop might not be ideal in terms of cooling."

Which cites the same source...

....or didn't you notice that detail?

> "Even though most users won’t require that kind of power from their new 13-inch MacBook Pro, it’s still bothersome that it can heat up to 108 degrees Celsius and that this results in severe throttling. Whether you should buy it largely depends on the kind of workloads you’re planning to engage in. It can probably handle all manner of computing, but as shown by the test, the extremes appear to be reserved for high-end Macs."
>
> "As for the M2 MacBook Pro, it seems to be having a bit of a rough start. Some reports pointed toward poor performance in various multitasking apps that are on the resource-heavy side, such as Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and Lightroom. Other sources, including Max Tech, reported that the read and write speeds on the SSD in the 256GB version of the M2 MacBook Pro are much worse than those of its M1 predecessor. However, this problem only seems to apply to the entry-level version, and users who choose the option with more storage don’t suffer from this issue. It’s most likely linked to the fact that when all of the 8GB of Apple Unified memory has been used up, the M2 MacBook Pro dips into the 256GB reserve on the SSD and uses it as virtual memory."

And he specifically calls out that the "perfromance" [sic] issue of the
SSD is only for an entry level machine with a 256GB SSD, which no
"perfromance" [sic] user is ever going to choose.

Re: Another M2 Macbook performance article

<ta9ohr$gt2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10767&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10767

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 18:12:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:12 UTC

Thomas E. wrote:

> This resulted in severe throttling upon hitting high temperatures

Performance doesn't matter when the chip itself is fatally flawed.

Apple focuses only on advertising security without ever focusing on the
necessary R&D required to deliver a chip that does NOT have fatal flaws.

Given everyone, including bad actors, already know of the multiple
unpatchable hardware flaws, the chip may be useful merely as a cheap toy
but it's almost completely worthless in a corporate environment that cares
about its security.

Re: Another M2 Macbook performance article

<ta9otf$p5t0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10768&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10768

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 10:18:39 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:18 UTC

On 2022-07-08 10:12, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Thomas E. wrote:
>
>> This resulted in severe throttling upon hitting high temperatures
>
> Performance doesn't matter when the chip itself is fatally flawed.

The chip isn't fatally flawed.

> Apple focuses only on advertising security without ever focusing on the
> necessary R&D required to deliver a chip that does NOT have fatal flaws.

Until very recently, you insisted they weren't doing any chip design.

> Given everyone, including bad actors, already know of the multiple
> unpatchable hardware flaws, the chip may be useful merely as a cheap toy
> but it's almost completely worthless in a corporate environment that cares
> about its security.

Name a CPU that doesn't have flaws.

Some perspective on CPU hardware flaws for Arlen (was Re: Another M2 Macbook performance article

<ta9pd6$p7k7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10769&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10769

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Some perspective on CPU hardware flaws for Arlen (was Re: Another M2
Macbook performance article
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 10:26:49 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 17:26 UTC

On 2022-07-08 10:12, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Thomas E. wrote:
>
>> This resulted in severe throttling upon hitting high temperatures
>
> Performance doesn't matter when the chip itself is fatally flawed.
>
> Apple focuses only on advertising security without ever focusing on the
> necessary R&D required to deliver a chip that does NOT have fatal flaws.
>
> Given everyone, including bad actors, already know of the multiple
> unpatchable hardware flaws, the chip may be useful merely as a cheap toy
> but it's almost completely worthless in a corporate environment that cares
> about its security.

'Design flaws in Intel’s processor chips stretching back to 1995 have
opened vulnerabilities in devices running operating systems from
Microsoft, Apple and Linux vendors. All Intel chips are affected by the
flaws (dubbed “Meltdown” and "Spectre”), and at least one also affects
some processors from AMD and ARM.'

<https://community.spiceworks.com/insights/cpu-chip-flaws-vulnerabilities>

'All the major Intel vulnerabilities

A list of all the major vulnerabilities that impact Intel processors.'

<https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/all-the-major-intel-vulnerabilities/>

'We know there are differences in how AMD and Intel implement
speculative execution, so it was never clear how much of AMD’s apparent
immunity was due to hardware design and how much was provided by
“security through obscurity.” AMD, to its credit, never told the press
that its CPUs were immune to attacks like Spectre and Meltdown, and it
didn’t launch any major advertising campaigns around the idea that it
represented the “safe” x86 choice. Good thing, too. Researchers have now
found a Meltdown-equivalent attack that affects AMD processors.'

<https://www.extremetech.com/computing/326558-all-amd-cpus-found-harboring-meltdown-like-security-flaw>

'What is this security threat about?
Two major vulnerabilities were found that seem to affect all major
microprocessors, including Intel, AMD and ARM brand products. These
weaknesses can be exploited by hackers to gain access to personal data
reaching from passwords to credit card information stored from online
transactions. A security team at Google has labeled the two flaws as
"Spectre" and "Meltdown."'

<https://www.dw.com/en/intel-arm-chip-flaws-what-you-need-to-know/a-42021606>

But don't worry, Arlen: I'm sure you'll find some way to turn this
around and make it all Apple's fault.

:-)