From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.internet.wireless
Subject: Re: Re:_my_iphone_12_is_humming_along…
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:25:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 14:25 UTC

Bob Campbell wrote:

> My reading of the above is that the 5G hype is WAY overblown. That
> averages to 24% of phone users have 5G available at any given time.

How about four hundred megabits per second indoors?
<https://i.postimg.cc/tTLPdVXj/speedtest23.jpg> T-mo 419 & 390 Mbps 5G UC

The 5G service in any one spot (e.g., at your home or place of work), is
consistent, so if it has 5G coverage, then you have 5G coverage 100% of the
time at that spot. These real-world readings are all taken INDOORS.
<https://i.postimg.cc/SsXCzGbd/speedtest22.jpg> T-mo 377, 414, 443 Mbps

Given I never cared about 5G until I was fortuitously given a handful of
free 5G phones about a year ago by my carrier, I might have easily agreed
with Bob Campbell - but with these new 5G phones, I now know better.
<https://i.postimg.cc/qR4BcjfM/speedtest19.jpg> Ookla test log results

Luckily for me I don't work - but - at home - the 5G service has just been
getting BETTER and better (see previous threads with badgolferman on that).
<https://i.postimg.cc/vTfn0HB6/speedtest21.jpg> Speed tests over time

Notice the RSRP *indoors* is a very respectable low to mid nineties!
<https://i.postimg.cc/BvnxJ0hd/speedtest24.jpg> T-mo RSRP -91 to -96 dBm

Meanwhile, my own neighbors on Verizon can't even get the free femtocell I
personally had Verizon send them to work - due to crappy Verizon signal.
<https://i.postimg.cc/x17ChVzf/speedtest25.jpg> Verizon femtocell setup

> Which mirrors my own observations. I have T-Mobile. Switching to 5G on
> my 12 Pro Max makes no difference at all. Same bars, same speeds. Nothing
> is faster.

At home I can get a couple hundred megabits per second, but routinely,
especially inside, I get only about half that - but admittedly I live in
the boonies where we don't even have cable yet on our power poles.
<https://i.postimg.cc/dtFnFCrX/speedtest26.jpg> Redneck Internet

> LTE is definitely more important than 5G at this point. And for the
> record, I don't give a damn who makes the modem chip in my phone.

You don't care _who_ makes the modem but you might care if one modem is
half the performance of another - where performance is how you rate them.

You also might care if the modem bought from Qualcomm as opposed to being
sourced internally adds an appreciable percentage of the final sales price
of the iPhone in royalties and other fees Apple pays to Qualcomm.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information,.
which in this case, is proof of indoor 5G speeds, coverage and signal.

Re: Re: my iphone 12 is humming along…

<130720221027508848%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10781&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#10781

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,alt.internet.wireless
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 10:27:50 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 13 Jul 2022 14:27 UTC

In article <tamkk4$dd9$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> At home I can get a couple hundred megabits per second, but routinely,
> especially inside, I get only about half that

in other words, the maximum speed of the modem doesn't matter, as you
have been told.