Subject: Re: Does anyone still prefer the old Macbook Pros' keyboards more?
From: Jolly Roger
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.systems
Followup: comp.sys.mac.portables
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 16:41 UTC
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.systems
Date: 12 Mar 2021 16:41:46 GMT
View all headers
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.portables.]
On 2021-03-12, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
Hello.

Does anyone still prefer the old Macbook Pros' keyboards more? 13"
2020 (A2251 model; MWP62LL/A; Intel) vs. 13" 9,2 April/mid-2012;
MD102ll/A model; unibody, Intel) as an example. The older ones feel
nicer and easier to type. :/

Nope. I prefer my current 16-inch MacBook Pro's keyboard, which matches
closely with the extended keyboard on my 2020 Mac Pro tower. On both
keyboards, key travel is tight and resistance is light and responsive,
which means I can type faster with less effort - a win win! : ) Sorry!

JR

Subject: Re: Does anyone find the trackpads annoying and too big?
From: Jolly Roger
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 20:57 UTC
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 17 May 2021 20:57:13 GMT
View all headers
On 2021-05-17, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
Hello.

Does anyone find the trackpads annoying and too big?

Nope, I love the size. I use them almost exclusively, all day every day,
and have for many years now.

Typing keeps touching it.

Doesn't seem to be a problem here, like ever. Nor for anyone else I know
who uses them.

You must be doing something differently than most people.

Is there a way to disable 2020's 13" Intel MBP's trackpad when the
mouse is connected?

Ah. You're using a mouse - with a laptop. Maybe that's the source of
your problem.

Right now, it's covered with a thick cloth.

That could be a problem as well. You are certainly doing very strange
things with your trackpad - things most people don't do. And that may
explain why you are having problems most people don't have.

JR

From: Lewis
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:38 UTC
From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:38:01 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
In message <6f2dnbfWlIonTD_9nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
Does anyone find the trackpads annoying and too big?

Nope. I love the trackpad. Bigger is better.

Typing keeps touching it.

I only have the trackpad activate while typing if I am typing very
slowly.

there a way to disable 2020's 13" Intel MBP's trackpad when the mouse is
connected?

Yes, there is. have you loked at the trackpad settings? Or possibly in
the Mouse settings or maybe in accessibility.

Ah, it is accessibility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-mouse-trackpad-preferences-unac899/mac

--
Varium et mutabile semper Femina.

From: Ant
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 21:53 UTC
From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 16:53:29 -0500
View all headers
In comp.sys.mac.portables Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
In message <6f2dnbfWlIonTD_9nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
Does anyone find the trackpads annoying and too big?

Nope. I love the trackpad. Bigger is better.

Typing keeps touching it.

I only have the trackpad activate while typing if I am typing very
slowly.

there a way to disable 2020's 13" Intel MBP's trackpad when the mouse is
connected?

Yes, there is. have you loked at the trackpad settings? Or possibly in
the Mouse settings or maybe in accessibility.

Ah, it is accessibility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-mouse-trackpad-preferences-unac899/mac

Perfect and thanks. I did look in the other places like trackpad. Strange to find it in accessiblity.
--
Zikron, here I come?
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org

From: Jolly Roger
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 22:41 UTC
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 18 May 2021 22:41:44 GMT
View all headers
On 2021-05-18, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
In comp.sys.mac.portables Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
In message <6f2dnbfWlIonTD_9nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@earthlink.com> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
Does anyone find the trackpads annoying and too big?

Nope. I love the trackpad. Bigger is better.

Typing keeps touching it.

I only have the trackpad activate while typing if I am typing very
slowly.

there a way to disable 2020's 13" Intel MBP's trackpad when the
mouse is connected?

Yes, there is. have you loked at the trackpad settings? Or possibly
in the Mouse settings or maybe in accessibility.

Ah, it is accessibility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-mouse-trackpad-preferences-unac899/mac

Perfect and thanks. I did look in the other places like trackpad.
Strange to find it in accessiblity.

Not really strange, no. Most people don't have the problem you have, and
those that do are often disabled or have special needs.

JR

From: Wade Garrett
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 11:49 UTC
From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 07:49:16 -0400
On 5/18/21 6:41 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
On 2021-05-18, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
[...]

I don't especially like track pads. I find them awkward to use and much less precise than a good mouse.

If I find myself forced to use a laptop for an extended period of time, I usually hook up a mouse.

--
I do  not spew profanities. I enunciate them clearly like a proper gentleman

From: Jolly Roger
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 15:09 UTC
From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 19 May 2021 15:09:21 GMT
View all headers
On 2021-05-18, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
[...]

You're in the minority too.

JR

From: Lewis
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 16:07 UTC
From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 16:07:16 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
On 2021-05-18, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
[...]

The each have advantages, there are many things that are much better
with a trackpad, and a few that are much better with a good trackball
(or a mouse if you like filthy rodents).

Selecting multiple things from a list, for example, I use my trackball.
Switching spaces, using Mission Control, editing photos, usimg the
various gestures I've defined in BTT, scrolling, etc the trackpad is
much better.

If I find myself forced to use a laptop for an extended period of time,
I usually hook up a mouse.

--
Don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your
choices are half chance; so are everybody else's.