Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 14:08:03 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: video downloading (was: Re: Adobe Flash Sub?)
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:08 UTC

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 22:55:40, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:01:22 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 at 22:16:26, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote
>>(my responses usually follow points raised):
>>>On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 18:45:05 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>>><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>[]
>>>
>>>Or, if your hand happens to be on or near the mouse, you can paste with a
>>>single right-click.
>>>
>>Wow, just tried that, and it can even include an enter on the end!
>>(Though as my hands are on the keyboard anyway from typing youtube-dl
>>[and a space], I might not use it. But thanks!)
>
>Like Paul said, watch for that trailing CR. It can bite you.
>
>I also wanted to say that I have renamed youtube-dl.exe to be just yt.exe
>so that I can invoke it by typing yt<space><right-click><enter>.

I've noticed that the -U - update - option still works if you do that,
which is quite clever, since update works by creating (and then
removing) a batch file.

>If you do leave it with its original name, remember that the system will
>type it out for you if you type enough of its name to be unique, then
>hitting Tab.

I've also created a y.bat file that calls it with the "ignore outdated
certificates" option included, since at least one of the sites I often
use are a bit lax in keeping theirs up to date.

Never make the same mistake twice...there are so many new ones to make!