From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 14:39:05 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:39 UTC

People who don't know how crippled iOS is in terms of app backup and
restore don't know the most important differences between the platforms.

Tutorial: Real world testing installing & backing up Android APKs 100%
from Windows (Mac or Linux) over adb on USB
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/GcP5Y3p817U>

An astoundingly huge (& rather crippling) difference between iOS & Android
that Steve's document completely ignores (last I had checked anyway)...

Is that Android _always_ saves the installer for the installed apps.
*Always*

For all apps. Not just user-installed apps - but for every app.
*Even default & system apps*

Unfortunately, by way of utter crippling comparison, iOS does not.
*And iOS just gets worse from there*

For Android, no backup of your APK is needed since it's already there.
*You can always _extract_ the original APK at any time*

But for iOS, you're doomed if you don't create your own backup.
*Even then, that version may not exist on the Apple App Store.*

If Steve's document doesn't cover this, which is arguably one of the most
fundamentally important differences between Android & iOS, then it's crap.
--
My role on the child-like Apple newsgroups is to bring facts to the fore.

Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore

<ui63jh$3g6mt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1087&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1087

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the
fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:47:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3Jg8WE70hYCz0kZGzZBpXH/Tjpc=
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:47 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> People who don't know how crippled iOS is in terms of app backup and
> restore don't know the most important differences between the platforms.
>
> Tutorial: Real world testing installing & backing up Android APKs 100%
> from Windows (Mac or Linux) over adb on USB
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/GcP5Y3p817U>
>
> An astoundingly huge (& rather crippling) difference between iOS & Android
> that Steve's document completely ignores (last I had checked anyway)...
>
> Is that Android _always_ saves the installer for the installed apps.
> *Always*
>
> For all apps. Not just user-installed apps - but for every app.
> *Even default & system apps*
>
> Unfortunately, by way of utter crippling comparison, iOS does not.
> *And iOS just gets worse from there*
>
> For Android, no backup of your APK is needed since it's already there.
> *You can always _extract_ the original APK at any time*
>
> But for iOS, you're doomed if you don't create your own backup.
> *Even then, that version may not exist on the Apple App Store.*
>
> If Steve's document doesn't cover this, which is arguably one of the most
> fundamentally important differences between Android & iOS, then it's crap.

Send him an email. He says he reads those.

Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore

<ui66cn$3h951$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1088&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1088

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:34:47 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:34 UTC

badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote

>> If Steve's document doesn't cover this, which is arguably one of the most
>> fundamentally important differences between Android & iOS, then it's crap.
>
> Send him an email. He says he reads those.

Hi badgolferman,

You are welcome to chastise me if I ever say something unreasonable.

Hence, thanks for that sage advice, where I'm quite well aware that what
Steve says about updates is quite different from what Steve actually does.

I've sent him a bunch of emails, over the years, from various anonymous
email accounts - where Steve doesn't actually do what he says he does.

However, Steve does read my posts as he literally attached one of my own
screenshots into his document (which he's welcome to do, by the way).

Unlike the iKooks, and especially unlike nospam, I have read Steve's
document and I admire that Steve went to the trouble to compile it.

Unlike iKooks, I _appreciate_ that Steve keeps his document up to date.
It's a lot of effort. Which the iKooks aren't capable of doing.

All the iKooks can say is they hate all comparisons of iOS to Android.
Which is, let's face it - what the iKooks do all the time - as you know.

In contrast to iKooks hating all factual comparisons, I _love_ them!
I really do.

I admire that Steve uses _both mobile platforms_ daily (as do I).
(Almost none of the iKooks have _ever even touched_ Android once!).

Alan Browne, for example, hasn't touched Android in very many years.
And yet these iKooks feel fully qualified to compare the differences.

Shocking, I know. :)

Anyway, while I admire that Steve gets down to the nitty gritty of the
differences between Android & iOS (which is why nospam hates that doc!),
Steve doesn't actually know Android as well as he thinks he knows it.

I know this because some of Steve's proposals show this to be the case.

Certainly others know Android far better than I do, but I know Android well
enough to know that Steve doesn't know Android at a level that matters.

Fundamentally, the major difference between Android and iOS is that iOS is
crippled in critically important functional ways - one of which is app
backup & restore.

Steve is completely unaware that this is a critical fundamental difference
a. Android backs up & restores app icons to their EXACT previous location
b. On any phone (both of which are completely impossible to do with iOS)
c. Android _automatically_ (always!) saves (every!) APK on every phone
d. Which happens at the time of installation (again, impossible on iOS)
e. Android restore of that backup works on any phone in the world
(assuming free app - which all of mine are as are most of yours)
f. Yet again, completely impossible to do on iOS with different AppleIDs
g. If desired, you can set an Android switch to save _every version_ too
h. All of which happens automatically at the moment of (prior to) install
(because the APK is first downloaded, and then installed, and then
_after_ the installation, the APK is _not deleted_ (all automatic!)

The fact you can archive your Android apps to any storage system
allows you to re-populate any Android phone with the exact versions!
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Save thousands of APKs

If Steve does not compare this fundamental backup-&-restore, then his
document omits one of the most fundamental of the platform differences.
*Compared to Android, iOS app backup & restore, is crippled.*

All I ask of Steve is he understand how crippled iOS is in terms of basic
backup & restore to any device of installed apps and all their versions.

And then I ask Steve to publish that understanding in his document.
--
The point of these posts is to tell the truth about both iOS & Android.

Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore

<ui6742$3he7d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1089&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1089

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:47:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:e7WT4y5vr5C6UWDaEnC4z5uUIGY=
 by: badgolferman - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:47 UTC

> [...]
> h. All of which happens automatically at the moment of (prior to) install
> (because the APK is first downloaded, and then installed, and then
> _after_ the installation, the APK is _not deleted_ (all automatic!)
>
> The fact you can archive your Android apps to any storage system
> allows you to re-populate any Android phone with the exact versions!
> <https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Save thousands of APKs
>
> If Steve does not compare this fundamental backup-&-restore, then his
> document omits one of the most fundamental of the platform differences.
> *Compared to Android, iOS app backup & restore, is crippled.*
>
> All I ask of Steve is he understand how crippled iOS is in terms of basic
> backup & restore to any device of installed apps and all their versions.
>
> And then I ask Steve to publish that understanding in his document.

There used to be a way to save the .ipa file for iOS and reinstall the
program, but to my knowledge that could only be done in iTunes. I had to do
that a few times when a favorite program was no longer on the App Store
after I upgraded to a new phone. If it’s not on the App Store it won’t
redownload from an incremental backup from iCloud Backup. They removed that
function with newer versions of iTunes, and since the program is an
abomination I uninstalled it. nospam once directed me to an older version
of iTunes which supposedly had that function still working but I never
tried it out.

Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore

<kqns7pFr3q2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1090&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1090

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental
difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: 4 Nov 2023 21:43:21 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 21:43 UTC

On 2023-11-04, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:

> There used to be a way to save the .ipa file for iOS and reinstall the
> program, but to my knowledge that could only be done in iTunes.

It can still be done with Apple Configurator, iMazing, and other
utilities. I have archives of every version of every app ever installed
on any of my iOS devices going back to 2008.

JR

Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore

<ui6god$3j6ss$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1091&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1091

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 17:31:41 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 22:31 UTC

On 11/4/23 16:43, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-11-04, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There used to be a way to save the .ipa file for iOS and reinstall the
>> program, but to my knowledge that could only be done in iTunes.
>
> It can still be done with Apple Configurator, iMazing, and other
> utilities. I have archives of every version of every app ever installed
> on any of my iOS devices going back to 2008.

But iOS doesn't let you run any version not made for the specific iOS
release.

Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore

<kqo73dFsqc6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1092&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1092

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: 5 Nov 2023 00:48:45 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:48 UTC

On 2023-11-04, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 11/4/23 16:43, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-11-04, badgolferman <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There used to be a way to save the .ipa file for iOS and reinstall
>>> the program, but to my knowledge that could only be done in iTunes.
>>
>> It can still be done with Apple Configurator, iMazing, and other
>> utilities. I have archives of every version of every app ever
>> installed on any of my iOS devices going back to 2008.
>
> But iOS doesn't let you run any version not made for the specific iOS
> release.

No, *app developers* are in full control over which versions of their
apps run on which versions of iOS. Apple's not going around preventing
apps from running. For instance, Settlers of Catan Classic was released
for iOS 14 years ago and still works fine today on any device running
iOS 8.0 or later. Apple hasn't prevented it from running on the latest
OS versions, and the developers have decided it's worth the effort to
continue supporting it on older devices.

JR