I THINK MAN INVENTED THE CAR by instinct. -- Jack Handey, The New Mexican, 1988.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

SubjectAuthor
* Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Metal Guru
+* Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Spalls Hurgenson
|+* Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Mike S.
||`- Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)JAB
|`- Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Zaghadka
+* Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)PW
|`* Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Ant
| `- Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Metal Guru
`* Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Zaghadka
 `- Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)Metal Guru

1
Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<tskiga$366uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10860&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10860

From: MetalG...@IsItYou.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 01:29:28 -0500
 by: Metal Guru - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 06:29 UTC

Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
console opens up with this:

Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)

It worked on Chrome (after disabling uBlock origin) and MS Edge,
surprisingly enough.

I have never played an adventure game in my life and most certainly
never will but if you like that kinda thing have phun :)

--
We are monkeys with money and guns

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<vdksuh5uo6j5n86erifbqoqhfei81qjoiv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10864&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10864

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:09:59 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 16:09 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 01:29:28 -0500, Metal Guru <MetalGuru@IsItYou.com>
wrote:

>Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
>google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
>console opens up with this:
>
>Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)

Doesn't work for me.

>It worked on Chrome (after disabling uBlock origin) and MS Edge,
>surprisingly enough.

Ah, I probably would have to disable UBlock. No, even though I could
turn it right back on, it's not worth that much effort.

>I have never played an adventure game in my life and most certainly
>never will but if you like that kinda thing have phun :)

Text-adventures were - if not the first computer games I ever played -
certainly my gateway into the larger world of computer gaming (it's
been a while, the memory's gone a bit hazy on the timing). I unwisely
started with "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which is a fun but
grossly unfair game... but there's nothing like jumping into the deep
end to learn how to swim, I suppose. I found the "Zork" and
"Enchanter" games more to my liking but I consumed the majority of
Infocom's library.

(Plus a "Star Wars" text adventure that had you take on the role of
Luke Skywalker trying to escape from the Death Star. Unfortunately, it
was an... erm... 'unlicensed copy' from a friend so it lacked a manual
or really any information about it... like who published it or what it
was called. I really wish I knew more about it because I never
finished it and would like to give it another chance)

But after immersing myself for years in text-only adventures,
eventually I accepted that graphics, too, have their place in computer
entertainment... and after that I rarely went back. Even mixed
text-and-graphics games (like Legend's "Eric the Unready" or "Guild of
Thieves" by Magnetic Scrolls) never attracted me. Eye-candy ruled the
day. Besides, if I wanted to use my imagination to envision an
interactive world created through the words of another, I'd just play
D&D. Which I did. ;-)

Still, I have a soft-spot in my heart for those old games. There's
something magical about seeing that white text on the black screen,
with the prompt patiently waiting for me to tell the computer what to
do.

In the Computer Room Score: 12 Moves: 22
]You are sitting at your computer. Your NNTP client is open. You
]have just finished reading an overly long reply made by some
]Internet weirdo about the joys of obsolete games.
>_

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<l21tuhh149ifmu1lqajl1kk3cjkr85qvjb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10867&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10867

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:37:39 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 19:37 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:09:59 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>But after immersing myself for years in text-only adventures,
>eventually I accepted that graphics, too, have their place in computer
>entertainment... and after that I rarely went back. Even mixed
>text-and-graphics games (like Legend's "Eric the Unready" or "Guild of
>Thieves" by Magnetic Scrolls) never attracted me. Eye-candy ruled the
>day. Besides, if I wanted to use my imagination to envision an
>interactive world created through the words of another, I'd just play
>D&D. Which I did. ;-)

The only Legend text adventures I ever played was Frederick Phol's
Gateway and the first Spellcasting game. I liked them well enough at
the time.

I loved Guild of Thieves. Exploring a mansion looking for treasures
was appealing to me. I liked it a lot more then its more popular older
brother, The Pawn.

>Still, I have a soft-spot in my heart for those old games. There's
>something magical about seeing that white text on the black screen,
>with the prompt patiently waiting for me to tell the computer what to
>do.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for them as well. But for me it is white text
on a gray background since I played mostly Infocom titles on the C-64
and that was the default color scheme on that system.

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<bc6tuhp77l20e89jm6ccd87riibv7642oh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10868&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10868

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:01:40 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 16 Feb 2023 21:01 UTC

wrote:

>Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
>google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
>console opens up with this:
>
>Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)
>
>It worked on Chrome (after disabling uBlock origin) and MS Edge,
>surprisingly enough.
>
>I have never played an adventure game in my life and most certainly
>never will but if you like that kinda thing have phun :)

*--

Just brings up the console for me, in any browser.

Oh well. Probably there for tracking purposes any way.

-pw

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<KJOdnYxm3qhQSHP-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10870&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10870

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 01:18:05 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 01:18 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 01:29:28 -0500, Metal Guru <MetalGuru@IsItYou.com>
> wrote:

> >Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
> >google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
> >console opens up with this:
> >
> >Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)
> >
> >It worked on Chrome (after disabling uBlock origin) and MS Edge,
> >surprisingly enough.
> >
> >I have never played an adventure game in my life and most certainly
> >never will but if you like that kinda thing have phun :)

> *--

> Just brings up the console for me, in any browser.

> Oh well. Probably there for tracking purposes any way.

Same.
--
"Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor." --Galatians 6:6. 5 days in a row wo napping due 2 another slammy week with da 3-body colony, <3, $, upgrades (hardwares this Sat?), winter, etc. Bad mawny with oversleeping, pooping into diaper before my bathroom, etc. Y R my pants falling so easily?
| |o o| |

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<nbvtuh5ps44qlvq05q0jh807ilp7afci4q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10872&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10872

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 22:07:49 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 04:07 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:09:59 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>In the Computer Room Score: 12 Moves: 22
>]You are sitting at your computer. Your NNTP client is open. You
>]have just finished reading an overly long reply made by some
>]Internet weirdo about the joys of obsolete games.
>>_

Oblig sig...

--
Zag

West of House
There is a small mailbox here.

>read leaflet
"WELCOME TO USENET!

USENET is a game of adventure, danger,
and low cunning. In it you will
explore some of the most amazing
territory ever seen by mortals. No
computer should be without it!"

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<4dvtuh5b315uf7rf1rsv8smma04vt3a85m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10873&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10873

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 22:08:50 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 04:08 UTC

On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 01:29:28 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Metal Guru wrote:

>Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
>google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
>console opens up with this:
>
>Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)
>
>It worked on Chrome (after disabling uBlock origin) and MS Edge,
>surprisingly enough.
>
>I have never played an adventure game in my life and most certainly
>never will but if you like that kinda thing have phun :)

I got it to come up, but it was nonsense like "You are a big 'G' and O
and L are here" so I immediately closed it for fear that it was sucking
away my soul.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<tsoqc4$3nq7a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10874&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10874

From: MetalG...@IsItYou.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:08:19 -0500
 by: Metal Guru - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:08 UTC

On 2/16/2023 11:08 PM, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 Metal Guru wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
>> google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
>> console opens up with this:
>>
>> Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)
>
> I got it to come up, but it was nonsense like "You are a big 'G' and O
> and L are here" so I immediately closed it for fear that it was sucking
> away my soul.

Yeah, the idea is that you are the capital letter G in 'Google'
searching for 'oogle', the rest of the letters. Couldn't they come up
with a better premise than that for an adventure game? <facepalm.jpg>

Out of curiosity I checked a walkthrough and found that !!!SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
at the very end you come across the following riddles that you need to
solve in order to finish the game:

Gets Sticky note with some clues on it:

1. I am the beginning of everything, the end of everywhere. I'm the
beginning of eternity, the end of time and space. What am I?

2. I am the loneliest number.

3. Check the clue number.

4. Take a number. Double it. Add 21. Subtract 15. Divide by 2. Subtract
your original number.

5. To make this number even, you take the s out.

Go South then type in answer to each clue number. Not exactly
challenging but some people might enjoy that kinda thing :)

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<tsorqs$3nuqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10875&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10875

From: MetalG...@IsItYou.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:33:15 -0500
 by: Metal Guru - Fri, 17 Feb 2023 21:33 UTC

On 2/16/2023 8:18 PM, Ant wrote:
> PW wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 Metal Guru wrote:
>
>>> Not sure if this is common knowledge but today I found out if you go to
>>> google.com and search for "text adventure" then press Ctrl+Shift+J, the
>>> console opens up with this:
>>>
>>> Would you like to play a game? (yes/no)
>>>
>>> It worked on Chrome (after disabling uBlock origin) and MS Edge,
>>> surprisingly enough.
>
>> Just brings up the console for me, in any browser.
>
>> Oh well. Probably there for tracking purposes any way.
>
> Same.

Just curious, what OS and browser(s) are you guys using?

Re: Google Text Adventure Game (Easter Egg)

<tsq9qq$3vopt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10883&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10883

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:38:15 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 10:38 UTC

On 16/02/2023 19:37, Mike S. wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 11:09:59 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But after immersing myself for years in text-only adventures,
>> eventually I accepted that graphics, too, have their place in computer
>> entertainment... and after that I rarely went back. Even mixed
>> text-and-graphics games (like Legend's "Eric the Unready" or "Guild of
>> Thieves" by Magnetic Scrolls) never attracted me. Eye-candy ruled the
>> day. Besides, if I wanted to use my imagination to envision an
>> interactive world created through the words of another, I'd just play
>> D&D. Which I did. ;-)
>
> The only Legend text adventures I ever played was Frederick Phol's
> Gateway and the first Spellcasting game. I liked them well enough at
> the time.
>
> I loved Guild of Thieves. Exploring a mansion looking for treasures
> was appealing to me. I liked it a lot more then its more popular older
> brother, The Pawn.

Never played Guild of Thieves but a quick bit of googlefoo and you can
play it (along with several of games) online.

https://msmemorial.if-legends.org/memorial.php

>> Still, I have a soft-spot in my heart for those old games. There's
>> something magical about seeing that white text on the black screen,
>> with the prompt patiently waiting for me to tell the computer what to
>> do.
>
> Yeah, I have a soft spot for them as well. But for me it is white text
> on a gray background since I played mostly Infocom titles on the C-64
> and that was the default color scheme on that system.

I do as well but really for nostalgia as I played quite a few on the
Speccky 48k. The ones I remember were the imaginatively named Adventure
A, Adventure B ... you get the picture, and then the likes of Valhalla
and The Hobbit. Probably my favourite is Sherlock as that at the time
felt like it was pushing what text adventures were.

Myself and a friend even tried our hand at using a text adventure
writing tool, possibly The Quill, and although it wasn't brilliant we
did enjoy it.