If you think the system is working, ask someone who's waiting for a prompt.

devel / comp.arch.embedded / Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?

SubjectAuthor
* Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?Dave Nadler
+* Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?David Brown
|`- Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?Dave Nadler
`* Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?Paul Rubin
 `- Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?Dave Nadler

1
Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?

<tjrd7i$1q7k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1089&group=comp.arch.embedded#1089

From: drn...@nadler.com (Dave Nadler)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 11:16:02 -0400
 by: Dave Nadler - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:16 UTC

Hi Guys - I'm searching for a C++ matrix math library suitable for
Kalman filter implementation on MCUs. I found a few but they may be
zombies, for example Eigen
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73883276/eigen-matrix-template-library-over-arm-cmsis-dsp
got crickets.
What do you guys use?
Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave

Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?

<tjrjf4$qknc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1090&group=comp.arch.embedded#1090

From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 18:02:28 +0100
 by: David Brown - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 17:02 UTC

On 01/11/2022 16:16, Dave Nadler wrote:
> Hi Guys - I'm searching for a C++ matrix math library suitable for
> Kalman filter implementation on MCUs. I found a few but they may be
> zombies, for example Eigen
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73883276/eigen-matrix-template-library-over-arm-cmsis-dsp got crickets.
> What do you guys use?
> Thanks in advance,
> Best Regards, Dave

How big are your matrices? If they are just 2x2, you can probably roll
your own code as quickly as you can find and test something from the
net. Templates are sometimes very useful and elegant, but if you have
fixed known types and sizes, specific classes and functions are often
easier to debug.

Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?

<dd7baf29-c18a-51f6-fd2f-68ec74b1c669@nadler.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1091&group=comp.arch.embedded#1091

From: drn...@nadler.com (Dave Nadler)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:16:07 -0400
 by: Dave Nadler - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 19:16 UTC

On 11/1/2022 1:02 PM, David Brown wrote:
> On 01/11/2022 16:16, Dave Nadler wrote:
>> Hi Guys - I'm searching for a C++ matrix math library suitable for
>> Kalman filter implementation on MCUs. I found a few but they may be
>> zombies, for example Eigen
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73883276/eigen-matrix-template-library-over-arm-cmsis-dsp got crickets.
>> What do you guys use?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Best Regards, Dave
>
> How big are your matrices?  If they are just 2x2, you can probably roll
> your own code as quickly as you can find and test something from the
> net.  Templates are sometimes very useful and elegant, but if you have
> fixed known types and sizes, specific classes and functions are often
> easier to debug.

Certainly a fair bit bigger than 2x2, non-sparse.
Eigen does seem to be active but don't know about use on MCUs.
M7 with adequate RAM should be OK though.
Using templates for decades during which diagnostics have improved ;-)

Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?

<87leou2b0c.fsf@nightsong.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1094&group=comp.arch.embedded#1094

From: no.em...@nospam.invalid (Paul Rubin)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 22:14:43 -0700
sha1:1PnsYyVvTlIxk0bg/7WES5syvQA=
 by: Paul Rubin - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 05:14 UTC

Dave Nadler <drn@nadler.com> writes:
> Hi Guys - I'm searching for a C++ matrix math library suitable for
> Kalman filter implementation on MCUs. I found a few but they may be
> zombies, for example Eigen

I'm unfamiliar with Eigen and only vaguely informed about Kalman
filters, but doing eigenvalue calculation properly takes some know-how,
and you're better off using a library rather than rolling your own.
Does the MCU angle actually matter in relation to the library choice?
There are a zillion linear algebra packages out there, the best known
probably being LAPACK.

I have no idea if this is suitable for your requirements:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

Re: Matrix math C++ class library for MCUs?

<tjtknr$ku9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1102&group=comp.arch.embedded#1102

From: drn...@nadler.com (Dave Nadler)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 07:36:27 -0400
 by: Dave Nadler - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 11:36 UTC

On 11/2/2022 1:14 AM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> I have no idea if this is suitable for your requirements:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/
Thanks Paul, unfortunately GSL has polluting GPL license; can't use it
for current project... Eigen license is non-polluting.