Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

computers / comp.sys.mac.vintage / Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

SubjectAuthor
* Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Ant
+- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?philo
+* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Oregonian Haruspex
|+* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Ant
||`- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Oregonian Haruspex
|`- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?OldbieOne
+* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?CrimsonRE
|+- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Ant
|`- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?OldbieOne
+* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Liz Tuddenham
|`- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Ant
+- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?OldbieOne
+- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Sebastian P.
+- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Christopher Smith
+- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Knezzen
+* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Denodster
|`* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?André G. Isaak
| `- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Denodster
`* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Stephen Thomas Cole
 `* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Knezzen
  `* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?scole
   +* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?James Perih
   |`* Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?D Finnigan
   | `- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?James Perih
   `- Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?Knezzen

1
Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<1PGcnbuxT45JG8D-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=91&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#91

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:02:28 +0000
 by: Ant - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 20:02 UTC

And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
--
Amazingly, no naps for three days. How long will this streak last? Overnight hibernations like from last night's 10:10:10:10 PM PDT to 6:40 AM PDT with a couple short wake ups (no peeing too!). "I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God ??? this is your spiritual act of worship." --Romans 12:1
| |o o| |

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tjtqi2$1a91$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=92&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#92

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 08:15:46 -0500
 by: philo - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 13:15 UTC

On 10/29/22 3:02 PM, Ant wrote:
> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

I have a few old Macs that I still use from time to time.

I was once given a Mac older than my laser printer that had the option
to use a standard Ghost Script driver and all be darned, it worked.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tkc2gt$3mk6o$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=93&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#93

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Oregonian Haruspex)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 22:57:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nY4dOC3Zlm148hcvfnsqB/kOmDI=
 by: Oregonian Haruspex - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 22:57 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

I use my PowerBook for music still.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<iM-dneI24JSOjPb-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=94&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#94

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 02:31:47 +0000
 by: Ant - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 02:31 UTC

Oregonian Haruspex <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
> >
> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

> I use my PowerBook for music still.

Making music?
--
"If serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve... As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." --Joshua 24:15. Finally voted & saw Disney's The Little Mermaid. Cold winter's slammy messy windy rainy election day. SYMC -> NLOK -> GEN. :O
| |o o| |

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tkjqln$kh68$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=95&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#95

From: crimso...@embarqmail.com (CrimsonRE)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 16:32:38 -0500
 by: CrimsonRE - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:32 UTC

Ant wrote:
> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

I use a batch of PowerBooks as my daily drivers at home, only resorting
to a Win laptop when absolutely necessary.

TenFourFox and Leopard Webkit/Safari as browsers, save stuff to WebDAV
server. TenFourBird or Apple Mail.app for email, KomPozer for simple
websites, older LibreOffice for all those dratted MS-type docs...

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<g5OdnfmgyLiMEfD-nZ2dnZfqnPoAAAAA@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=96&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#96

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:41:05 +0000
 by: Ant - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:41 UTC

CrimsonRE <crimsonre@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
> >
> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
> >
> I use a batch of PowerBooks as my daily drivers at home, only resorting
> to a Win laptop when absolutely necessary.

> TenFourFox and Leopard Webkit/Safari as browsers, save stuff to WebDAV
> server. TenFourBird or Apple Mail.app for email, KomPozer for simple
> websites, older LibreOffice for all those dratted MS-type docs...

Do they work well with modern stuff?
--
"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding. He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'" --Job 37:5-6. Finally voted, and I didn't win. Quiet hump day so far even with an almost biweekly cleaning appointment, annual outdoor termite killings, etc. chases, Still achy, leaky, sneezy, etc. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tkpqr0$1cu13$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=97&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#97

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Oregonian Haruspex)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 04:12:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:VFZ56pnHR4ejki7im1PgT/t778c=
 by: Oregonian Haruspex - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 04:12 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Oregonian Haruspex <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>>>
>>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
>
>> I use my PowerBook for music still.
>
> Making music?

You bet. Also for making Yamaha VL synthesis patches.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<1q1d1xx.27r03mxhzeyoN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=98&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#98

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:46:12 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 13:46 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?

I'm still using a beige G3 for everyday office work. Claris Works,
PageMaker 6.5, Photoshop LE, Graphic Converter, BBEdit, MacSOUP, Claris
Homepage, PageMill, Claris Emailer. I also use ICab for testing
webpages but have a more modern machine and browser for general internat
browsing.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<0QadnVjjkr5BDOz-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=99&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#99

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:54:52 +0000
 by: Ant - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:54 UTC

Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?

> I'm still using a beige G3 for everyday office work. Claris Works,
> PageMaker 6.5, Photoshop LE, Graphic Converter, BBEdit, MacSOUP, Claris
> Homepage, PageMill, Claris Emailer. I also use ICab for testing
> webpages but have a more modern machine and browser for general internat
> browsing.

You test to be sure older web browsers work? Good. ;)
--
"It is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God." --1 Peter 2:15-16. Slammier long weekend and lateness from companies. Pooped into my underwear during the almost daily over mile walk. :( Finally updated to iOS v16(.1.1)!
| |o o| |

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tl8ufk$hrd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=100&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#100

From: me...@here.com (OldbieOne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:48:07 -0500
 by: OldbieOne - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:48 UTC

"Ant" <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote in message
> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

Good question. I use a G4 for recording with Pro Tools through a hardware
capture card that's only supported on PPC Macs. I also use Claris on there
sometimes, even though I use a 2006 iMac Duo as a "daily driver" for general
office use, including browsing the web when needed, and also have a current
iMac and custom Windows 95 retro-gaming rig.

--
OldbieOne

The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by RetroPC Build Windows v4.0.950B-2

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tl8ugk$ige$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=101&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#101

From: me...@here.com (OldbieOne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:48:40 -0500

"Oregonian Haruspex" <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
> >
> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
>
> I use my PowerBook for music still.

And they work great still!

--
OldbieOne

The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by RetroPC Build Windows v4.0.950B-2

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<tl8ujs$jmg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=102&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#102

From: me...@here.com (OldbieOne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:50:24 -0500
 by: OldbieOne - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 21:50 UTC

"CrimsonRE" <crimsonre@embarqmail.com> wrote in message
> Ant wrote:
> > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
> >
> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
> >
> I use a batch of PowerBooks as my daily drivers at home, only resorting
> to a Win laptop when absolutely necessary.
>
> TenFourFox and Leopard Webkit/Safari as browsers, save stuff to WebDAV
> server. TenFourBird or Apple Mail.app for email, KomPozer for simple
> websites, older LibreOffice for all those dratted MS-type docs...

Do you make your own TenFourFox builds now it's no longer in development?
I'm curious to see if anyone's been doing that since the code was published?

--
OldbieOne

The One Who Tells It Like It Is (TM)
Brought to you by RetroPC Build Windows v4.0.950B-2

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<info-DB733B.13200528092023@nntp-new.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=109&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#109

From: inf...@cornica.org (Sebastian P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:20:05 +0200
 by: Sebastian P. - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 11:20 UTC

In article <1PGcnbuxT45JG8D-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

I do use a Mac Mini G4 running Mac OS 9.2 and a Mac IIci running 7.1.
Both are in almost daily use and I try to do as much as I can on them.
Since I've found my way here now, there's something else I can do from
my IIci :-)

It's a learning curve to find workarounds to "modern" problems - which
is part of the joy of using the real Mac OS in 2023! You have to be
ready to "think differently" doing stuff than what you're used to from a
modern machine. That said, add in a cheap-o Android smartphone for stuff
I can't do on the Macintosh (e.g. Online Banking) and I have my perfect
set-up at home.

Games that I regularly run are Sim City 2000, Glider Pro and Warlords II
- among a few more. Here and there Marathon calls. I also still play the
recently released two boxed adventures Silk Dust and Hibernated I,
haven't been able to beat them yet.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<scouter-6D0841.09031001102023@nntp-new.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=112&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#112

From: scou...@freeuk.com (Christopher Smith)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 09:03:35 +0100
 by: Christopher Smith - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:03 UTC

ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

I am still using my iBook G4, using MT-NewsWatcher on OS X 10.4.11 tiger
to post this.

Christopher.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<contact-E8F593.12254805102023@nntp-new.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=116&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#116

From: cont...@unixfiles.org (Knezzen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 12:25:48 +0200
 by: Knezzen - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:25 UTC

ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

Yes indeed! My more or less "daily driver" is my PowerBook G4 Titanium
1ghz which dual boots OSX Tiger and Mac OS 9.2.2. I tend to spend most
of my time in 9.2.2 where I can manage my Linux servers using SSHeven, I
browse the web using a combination of Classilla and Lynx together with
Crypto Ancienne to offload TLS. I make music, I edit video, send email
and write posts like this one on usenet. It's still a very capable
machine in todays day and age.

I run together with my friends http://macintoshgarden.org and
http://system7today.com which both is excellent resources for old Macs.

Stay old school ;)

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<denodster-1712230331250001@192.168.1.200>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=150&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#150

From: denods...@gmail.com (Denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:31:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Denodster - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 03:31 UTC

ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

Typing this on a Macintosh LC III today :).

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<ullt5o$2pecf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=153&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#153

From: agis...@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:24:23 -0700
 by: André G. Isaak - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 04:24 UTC

On 2023-12-16 20:31, Denodster wrote:
> In article <1PGcnbuxT45JG8D-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
> ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>>
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
>
> Typing this on a Macintosh LC III today :).

I use a relatively modern mac (albeit one that is still considered
obsolete). But I still frequently run system 7.5-9.0 in SheepShaver.
Does that count?

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<denodster-1712230530000001@192.168.1.200>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=154&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#154

From: denods...@gmail.com (Denodster)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 05:30:00 -0500
 by: Denodster - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 10:30 UTC

In article <ullt5o$2pecf$1@dont-email.me>,
=?UTF-8?B?QW5kcsOpIEcuIElzYWFr?= <agisaak@gm.invalid> wrote:

> On 2023-12-16 20:31, Denodster wrote:
> > In article <1PGcnbuxT45JG8D-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
> > ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
> >
> >> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
> >>
> >> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
> >
> > Typing this on a Macintosh LC III today :).
>
> I use a relatively modern mac (albeit one that is still considered
> obsolete). But I still frequently run system 7.5-9.0 in SheepShaver.
> Does that count?
>
> André

No Judgement here. I use SheepShaver for running codewarrior as it builds
much faster than a real machine. Though I feel like I've never gotten
SheepShaver to the same level of stability as a real machine. I wish I
could get it there as I wouldn't mind using it play some online games with
friends who don't own vintage macs.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<221220231403038752%usenet@stephenthomascole.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=155&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#155

From: use...@stephenthomascole.com (Stephen Thomas Cole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:03:03 +0000
 by: Stephen Thomas Cole - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:03 UTC

<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?

I am still using an old Mac! I am posting this from a Power Mac G4
running OS9. Newsreader is Thoth.

Saw the news about Google Groups dropping Usenet and figured now might
be a good time to get back into newsgroups, and what better way than on
my old Mac. :)

--
Fleet Fellow

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<contact-225020.12284102012024@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=162&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#162

From: cont...@unixfiles.org (Knezzen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 12:28:42 +0100
 by: Knezzen - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:28 UTC

In article <221220231403038752%usenet@stephenthomascole.com>,
Stephen Thomas Cole <usenet@stephenthomascole.com> wrote:

> In article <1PGcnbuxT45JG8D-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
> > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
>
> I am still using an old Mac! I am posting this from a Power Mac G4
> running OS9. Newsreader is Thoth.
>
> Saw the news about Google Groups dropping Usenet and figured now might
> be a good time to get back into newsgroups, and what better way than on
> my old Mac. :)

Sure! Writing this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium in Mac OS 9.2.2 using
MT-NewsWatcher as my Usenet client. I am involved in running two
websites dedicated to vintage Macintoshes as well, Macintosh Garden and
System 7 Today.

Usenet will hopefully outlive us all :)

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<050120241712125917%fleet101k@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=164&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#164

From: fleet1...@gmail.com (scole)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 17:12:12 +0000
 by: scole - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:12 UTC

In article <contact-225020.12284102012024@news.eternal-september.org>,
Knezzen <contact@unixfiles.org> wrote:

> In article <221220231403038752%usenet@stephenthomascole.com>,
> Stephen Thomas Cole <usenet@stephenthomascole.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1PGcnbuxT45JG8D-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
> > <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> >
> > > And which hardwares and softwares? Gaming too?
> >
> > I am still using an old Mac! I am posting this from a Power Mac G4
> > running OS9. Newsreader is Thoth.
> >
> > Saw the news about Google Groups dropping Usenet and figured now might
> > be a good time to get back into newsgroups, and what better way than on
> > my old Mac. :)
>
> Sure! Writing this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium in Mac OS 9.2.2 using
> MT-NewsWatcher as my Usenet client. I am involved in running two
> websites dedicated to vintage Macintoshes as well, Macintosh Garden and
> System 7 Today.

I might start using MT-NW again, Thoth is proving a little unstable and
has caused a few total system crashes... I'm not sure why, haven't
tried to troubleshoot it, but it seems a bit buggy on this machine.
Which is a shame, it's a really impressive newsreader.

I run vintageapplemac.com, although I haven't done a thing with it in
several years now... I pretty much zoned out on vintage Macs during the
pandemic and am now only just getting back into the hobby. I do intend
to start using my site again, have a couple of neat things I've
acquired that need archiving and then sharing...
> Usenet will hopefully outlive us all :)

Absolutely it will, and with Google Groups and the associated spam
abuse now out of the picture, it will hopefully be healthier for it.

--
Fleet Fellow

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<E1D81616.12F%jperih@mac.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=166&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#166

From: jpe...@mac.com (James Perih)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:43:50 -0600
 by: James Perih - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:43 UTC

in article 050120241712125917%fleet101k@gmail.com, scole at
fleet101k@gmail.com wrote on 1/5/24 11:12 AM:

> I run vintageapplemac.com, although I haven't done a thing with it in
> several years now... I pretty much zoned out on vintage Macs during the
> pandemic and am now only just getting back into the hobby. I do intend
> to start using my site again, have a couple of neat things I've
> acquired that need archiving and then sharing...

Could you use an SSL Issuer who is associated with a Certificate Authority
that exists in, and is not expired, on older vintage systems? I found that
Microsoft Azure is one such issuer... there may be others, as well.

Until then, I'll use frogfind.com to browse your content.

--
James from Canada

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<dog_cow-1706216780@macgui.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=167&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#167

From: dog_...@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their
softwares?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:06:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 21:06 UTC

James Perih wrote:
> in article 050120241712125917%fleet101k@gmail.com, scole at
> fleet101k@gmail.com wrote on 1/5/24 11:12 AM:
>
>> I run vintageapplemac.com, although I haven't done a thing with it in
>> several years now... I pretty much zoned out on vintage Macs during the
>> pandemic and am now only just getting back into the hobby. I do intend
>> to start using my site again, have a couple of neat things I've
>> acquired that need archiving and then sharing...
>
> Could you use an SSL Issuer who is associated with a Certificate Authority
> that exists in, and is not expired, on older vintage systems?

Add the root certs on your old machine, if you can. Netscape can do it, for
example.

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<E1D89B46.132%jperih@mac.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=168&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#168

From: jpe...@mac.com (James Perih)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 23:12:06 -0600
 by: James Perih - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 05:12 UTC

in article dog_cow-1706216780@macgui.com, D Finnigan at dog_cow@macgui.com
wrote on 1/25/24 3:06 PM:

> James Perih wrote:
>> in article 050120241712125917%fleet101k@gmail.com, scole at
>> fleet101k@gmail.com wrote on 1/5/24 11:12 AM:
>>
>>> I run vintageapplemac.com, although I haven't done a thing with it in
>>> several years now... I pretty much zoned out on vintage Macs during the
>>> pandemic and am now only just getting back into the hobby. I do intend
>>> to start using my site again, have a couple of neat things I've
>>> acquired that need archiving and then sharing...
>>
>> Could you use an SSL Issuer who is associated with a Certificate Authority
>> that exists in, and is not expired, on older vintage systems?
>
> Add the root certs on your old machine, if you can. Netscape can do it, for
> example.

I may need some instructions. I found some Keychain Access instructions,
but... I don't see how I'd import that into Mac OS X 10.2 or older (eg,
Classic).

Re: Who still here uses their very old Macs and their softwares?

<contact-F5A0A0.17065717032024@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=175&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#175

From: cont...@unixfiles.org (Knezzen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:06:57 +0100
 by: Knezzen - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:06 UTC

scole <fleet101k@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <contact-225020.12284102012024@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Knezzen <contact@unixfiles.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <221220231403038752%usenet@stephenthomascole.com>,
> > Stephen Thomas Cole <usenet@stephenthomascole.com> wrote:

> > > I am still using an old Mac! I am posting this from a Power Mac G4
> > > running OS9. Newsreader is Thoth.
> > >
> > > Saw the news about Google Groups dropping Usenet and figured now might
> > > be a good time to get back into newsgroups, and what better way than on
> > > my old Mac. :)
> >
> > Sure! Writing this on my PowerBook G4 Titanium in Mac OS 9.2.2 using
> > MT-NewsWatcher as my Usenet client. I am involved in running two
> > websites dedicated to vintage Macintoshes as well, Macintosh Garden and
> > System 7 Today.
>
> I might start using MT-NW again, Thoth is proving a little unstable and
> has caused a few total system crashes... I'm not sure why, haven't
> tried to troubleshoot it, but it seems a bit buggy on this machine.
> Which is a shame, it's a really impressive newsreader.
>
> I run vintageapplemac.com, although I haven't done a thing with it in
> several years now... I pretty much zoned out on vintage Macs during the
> pandemic and am now only just getting back into the hobby. I do intend
> to start using my site again, have a couple of neat things I've
> acquired that need archiving and then sharing...
>
> > Usenet will hopefully outlive us all :)
>
> Absolutely it will, and with Google Groups and the associated spam
> abuse now out of the picture, it will hopefully be healthier for it.

Well, welcome back to this wonderful hobby, then! Join us at System 7
Today for some nice System 7 centric discussions, btw :)