Going the speed of light is bad for your age.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Amazon Prime games for March

SubjectAuthor
* Amazon Prime games for MarchJAB
`* Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchSpalls Hurgenson
 +- Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchJAB
 `* Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchJustisaur
  +- Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchSpalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchZaghadka
   `* Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchJustisaur
    +- Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchSpalls Hurgenson
    `- Re: Amazon Prime games for MarchJAB

1
Amazon Prime games for March

<tta34h$26c6r$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10956&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10956

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Amazon Prime games for March
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:22:02 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:22 UTC

Another week by week release schedule bu here's just the games.

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
Adios
I am Fish
Faraway 3: Arctic Escape
Book of Demons
Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
City Legends: Trapping in Mirror – Collector’s Edition

Looks like some of those will be worthwhile.

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<s2khvhdlrqs9tqkp3mn47s9q3l2tu9nnc0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10958&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10958

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Amazon Prime games for March
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:08:47 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 24 Feb 2023 15:08 UTC

On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:22:02 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>Another week by week release schedule bu here's just the games.
>
>Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
>Adios
>I am Fish
>Faraway 3: Arctic Escape
>Book of Demons
>Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
>City Legends: Trapping in Mirror – Collector’s Edition
>
>Looks like some of those will be worthwhile.

Meh.

"Baldur's Gate" is, of course, a classic... but one almost everyone
interested in it already owns, and fairly old in the tooth anyway.
"Adios" is a walking-sim. "I Am Fish" is - essentially - the 'escape
from the dentist' scene from "Finding Nemo" in the form of a
physics-based adventure puzzle game, so not really my cuppa. "Faraway
3: Arctic Escape" is a mobile port. "Book of Demons" is a card-based
hack-n-slash. "Peaky Blinders: Mastermind" is a puzzle game based on a
TV show I've not heard of. And "City Legends" is a
'find-the-hidden-item' game (a genre I've never understood the appeal
of).

Maybe "Adios" is interesting? "I Am Fish" looks mechanically adept, if
not thematically appealling. But none of the gams ("Baldur's Gate"
aside, and I already own that multiple times) give me any sense of
excitement or thrill. They're throw-away titles bound directly for the
'never-play' list.

There are times I've been quite favorable towards the offerings on
PrimeGames, but not recently. They aren't really adding any real value
to the overall "Prime" subscription, which itself is becoming less
appealing. Step up your game, Bezos! ;-)

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<ttcpk0$2hsft$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10963&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10963

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:58:00 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:58 UTC

On 24/02/2023 15:08, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:22:02 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> Another week by week release schedule bu here's just the games.
>>
>> Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
>> Adios
>> I am Fish
>> Faraway 3: Arctic Escape
>> Book of Demons
>> Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
>> City Legends: Trapping in Mirror – Collector’s Edition
>>
>> Looks like some of those will be worthwhile.
>
> Meh.
>
> "Baldur's Gate" is, of course, a classic... but one almost everyone
> interested in it already owns, and fairly old in the tooth anyway.
> "Adios" is a walking-sim. "I Am Fish" is - essentially - the 'escape
> from the dentist' scene from "Finding Nemo" in the form of a
> physics-based adventure puzzle game, so not really my cuppa. "Faraway
> 3: Arctic Escape" is a mobile port. "Book of Demons" is a card-based
> hack-n-slash. "Peaky Blinders: Mastermind" is a puzzle game based on a
> TV show I've not heard of. And "City Legends" is a
> 'find-the-hidden-item' game (a genre I've never understood the appeal
> of).
>
> Maybe "Adios" is interesting? "I Am Fish" looks mechanically adept, if
> not thematically appealling. But none of the gams ("Baldur's Gate"
> aside, and I already own that multiple times) give me any sense of
> excitement or thrill. They're throw-away titles bound directly for the
> 'never-play' list.
>
> There are times I've been quite favorable towards the offerings on
> PrimeGames, but not recently. They aren't really adding any real value
> to the overall "Prime" subscription, which itself is becoming less
> appealing. Step up your game, Bezos! ;-)

Not sure I'd go with excitement or thrill but most months they do have
at least one game that I think I'd like to at least try. Adios
definitely fits that mould as I have it on my Steam wishlist. For me
probably the biggest plus of Amazon Prime games is I get to play games
that I wouldn't normally have tried. It also helps that I basically
thing of them as free even though they aren't.

Oh and I Am Fish, I did check that on Steam and realised that it's not
the game I thought it was at all!

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<dba4f10d-ff1e-4080-8033-1f17c5bf980fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10984&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10984

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:07:35 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:07 UTC

On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 7:10:29 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:22:02 +0000, JAB <no...@nochance.com> wrote:
>
> >Another week by week release schedule bu here's just the games.
> >
> >Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
> >Adios
> >I am Fish
> >Faraway 3: Arctic Escape
> >Book of Demons
> >Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
> >City Legends: Trapping in Mirror – Collector’s Edition
> >
> >Looks like some of those will be worthwhile.
> Meh.
>
> "Baldur's Gate" is, of course, a classic... but one almost everyone
> interested in it already owns, and fairly old in the tooth anyway.
> "Adios" is a walking-sim. "I Am Fish" is - essentially - the 'escape
> from the dentist' scene from "Finding Nemo" in the form of a
> physics-based adventure puzzle game, so not really my cuppa. "Faraway
> 3: Arctic Escape" is a mobile port. "Book of Demons" is a card-based
> hack-n-slash. "Peaky Blinders: Mastermind" is a puzzle game based on a
> TV show I've not heard of. And "City Legends" is a
> 'find-the-hidden-item' game (a genre I've never understood the appeal
> of).

I am interested and don't own BG. Of course I didn't like the game back
in the day, more about being irritated with how much walking there
was and hating the turn based to real time and how poorly attack
spells work due to the change.

I'm long over the TB to RT issue at least. I still don't like taking tons of
time walking around through essentially nothing, and far preferred the
older way where the games just brought instantly to a random encounter.
I'd still probably be irritated with the way spells in combat work too.

Free is a price I can live with though, so I'll get it and be one step closer
to trying to replay it.

- Justisaur

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<8olpvh1hmjh4th08clg7u0mnipv03qjumi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10985&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10985

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:36:40 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:36 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:07:35 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 7:10:29?AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> "Baldur's Gate" is, of course, a classic... but one almost everyone
>> interested in it already owns, and fairly old in the tooth anyway.

>I am interested and don't own BG.

There always gotta be the one. ;-)

> Of course I didn't like the game back
>in the day, more about being irritated with how much walking there
>was and hating the turn based to real time and how poorly attack
>spells work due to the change.

Was there a lot of walking in "Baldurs Gate"? Or, at least, more than
in other contemporary open-world role-playing games? I always thought
the opposite; that the world felt cramped. That every twenty feet my
party was running into another trap, or encounter. That it's world was
divided into multiple separate maps (as opposed to, say, games like
Ultima VII where everything was displayed as a single giant arena)
only made the setting feel even smaller, since you could cross each
map in just a few minutes. Even including load-times, you probably
could traverse the north-south axis of the world in fifteen minutes
tops.

The pseudo-real-time battles, on the other time, could take some
getting used to. Fortunately, the game offered a lot of options, to
the point you could - for all practical purposes - make it a
turn-based experience if you really wanted to. Unfortunately, a lot of
that functionality was hidden away, so a lot of people disregarded it.
Myself, I found it just dragged out the combat (always the least
interesting part of CRPGs to me). Anyway, I was becoming increasingly
less interested in micro-managing every move of an entire party of
heroes, so I just let the battles run real-time.

I totally agree with you with the magic, though. The fast-pace and
short range of the combats, not to mention an inability to easily
shield spellcasters from attacks without micromanaging all the NPCs
made magic a lot less effective than it should have been.

>Free is a price I can live with though, so I'll get it and be one step closer
>to trying to replay it.

Well, sorta-free. You gotta pay rent to Amazon for the privilege of
their services first.

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<fr5rvhtlc785bt1h8udejij7u2idp2jilk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10993&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10993

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:57:02 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 05:57 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:07:35 -0800 (PST), in
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Justisaur wrote:

>On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 7:10:29?AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:22:02 +0000, JAB <no...@nochance.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Another week by week release schedule bu here's just the games.
>> >
>> >Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
>> >Adios
>> >I am Fish
>> >Faraway 3: Arctic Escape
>> >Book of Demons
>> >Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
>> >City Legends: Trapping in Mirror – Collector’s Edition
>> >
>> >Looks like some of those will be worthwhile.
>> Meh.
>>
>> "Baldur's Gate" is, of course, a classic... but one almost everyone
>> interested in it already owns, and fairly old in the tooth anyway.
>> "Adios" is a walking-sim. "I Am Fish" is - essentially - the 'escape
>> from the dentist' scene from "Finding Nemo" in the form of a
>> physics-based adventure puzzle game, so not really my cuppa. "Faraway
>> 3: Arctic Escape" is a mobile port. "Book of Demons" is a card-based
>> hack-n-slash. "Peaky Blinders: Mastermind" is a puzzle game based on a
>> TV show I've not heard of. And "City Legends" is a
>> 'find-the-hidden-item' game (a genre I've never understood the appeal
>> of).
>
>I am interested and don't own BG. Of course I didn't like the game back
>in the day, more about being irritated with how much walking there
>was and hating the turn based to real time and how poorly attack
>spells work due to the change.

Yeah. I remember throwing lightning bolts and friendly firing my own
characters more often than I hit the enemy. Lightning bolts were pants in
that game.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<aa86f61c-ea26-46d1-8c90-1414c9ddab8fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10996&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10996

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:22:31 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:22 UTC

On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 9:57:03 PM UTC-8, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:07:35 -0800 (PST), in
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Justisaur wrote:

> >> Meh.
> >>
> >> "Baldur's Gate" is, of course, a classic... but one almost everyone
> >> interested in it already owns, and fairly old in the tooth anyway.
> >> "Adios" is a walking-sim. "I Am Fish" is - essentially - the 'escape
> >> from the dentist' scene from "Finding Nemo" in the form of a
> >> physics-based adventure puzzle game, so not really my cuppa. "Faraway
> >> 3: Arctic Escape" is a mobile port. "Book of Demons" is a card-based
> >> hack-n-slash. "Peaky Blinders: Mastermind" is a puzzle game based on a
> >> TV show I've not heard of. And "City Legends" is a
> >> 'find-the-hidden-item' game (a genre I've never understood the appeal
> >> of).
> >
> >I am interested and don't own BG. Of course I didn't like the game back
> >in the day, more about being irritated with how much walking there
> >was and hating the turn based to real time and how poorly attack
> >spells work due to the change.
> >
> Yeah. I remember throwing lightning bolts and friendly firing my own
> characters more often than I hit the enemy. Lightning bolts were pants in
> that game.

Any AoE spells were garbage. So you cast magic missile. woo. Especially
egregious to me as Magic-Users were my first and always favorite class in
D&D.

- Justisaur

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<dmssvh9v7fdptdkv58uuvhj3m96u8vofl8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10997&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10997

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 16:40:05 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 21:40 UTC

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:22:31 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 9:57:03?PM UTC-8, Zaghadka wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:07:35 -0800 (PST), in
>> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Justisaur wrote:

>> >I am interested and don't own BG. Of course I didn't like the game back
>> >in the day, more about being irritated with how much walking there
>> >was and hating the turn based to real time and how poorly attack
>> >spells work due to the change.
>> >
>> Yeah. I remember throwing lightning bolts and friendly firing my own
>> characters more often than I hit the enemy. Lightning bolts were pants in
>> that game.
>
>Any AoE spells were garbage. So you cast magic missile. woo. Especially
>egregious to me as Magic-Users were my first and always favorite class in
>D&D.

I generally find spellcasting in computer role-playing games to be a
substandard experience, especially if its real-time . Whether it was
Baldurs Gate or Skyrim, I tended to go melee because the it was
usually easier and more effective to just whack a baddie on the head
with my sword than worry about magic. But it was especially egregious
when I had to manage an entire party.

Which is unfortunate because, like you, I always preferred
spell-casters in tabletop games. But that was usually because there
usually was so much non-combat stuff they could do too. Unfortunately,
computer games tend to negate a lot of the versatility of the spells.

Re: Amazon Prime games for March

<ttn610$3tlpo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10998&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#10998

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 09:31:09 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 09:31 UTC

On 28/02/2023 18:22, Justisaur wrote:
> On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 9:57:03 PM UTC-8, Zaghadka wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:07:35 -0800 (PST), in
>> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Justisaur wrote:

>>> I am interested and don't own BG. Of course I didn't like the game back
>>> in the day, more about being irritated with how much walking there
>>> was and hating the turn based to real time and how poorly attack
>>> spells work due to the change.
>>>
>> Yeah. I remember throwing lightning bolts and friendly firing my own
>> characters more often than I hit the enemy. Lightning bolts were pants in
>> that game.
>
> Any AoE spells were garbage. So you cast magic missile. woo. Especially
> egregious to me as Magic-Users were my first and always favorite class in
> D&D.

Pretty much so yes, it's pretty tricky to use a spell that it supposed
to be used at range when as soon as you have an encounter you'll almost
in melee range.

The positive, for me combat isn't something I play RPG's for and I
certainly didn't miss it in Disco Elysium.