From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: “Hard_Drive_Life_Expectancy"_by_Andy_Klein
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 12:48:43 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 17:48 UTC

“Hard Drive Life Expectancy" by Andy Klein
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-life-expectancy/

“For the last several years, we have written about drive failure, or
more specifically, the annualized failure rates for the hard drives and
SSDs we use for our cloud storage platform. In this post, we’ll look at
drive failure from a different angle: life expectancy."

"By looking at life expectancy, we can answer the question, “How long is
the drive I am buying today expected to last?” This line of thinking
matches the way we buy many things. For example, knowing that a washing
machine has an annualized failure rate of 4% is academically
interesting, but what we really want to know is, “How long can I expect
the washing machine to last before I need to replace it?””

It is never long enough.

Lynn

Re: “Hard Drive Life Expectancy" by Andy Klein

<44b90fec-9f2b-4944-be3b-4759a4a5f2e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=114&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#114

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:39:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_“Hard_Drive_Life_Expectancy"_by_Andy_Klein
From: thomas.m...@gmail.com (Google User)
 by: Google User - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 23:39 UTC

On Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 10:48:48 a.m. UTC-7, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “Hard Drive Life Expectancy" by Andy Klein
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-life-expectancy/
>
> “For the last several years, we have written about drive failure, or
> more specifically, the annualized failure rates for the hard drives and
> SSDs we use for our cloud storage platform. In this post, we’ll look at
> drive failure from a different angle: life expectancy."
>
> "By looking at life expectancy, we can answer the question, “How long is
> the drive I am buying today expected to last?” This line of thinking
> matches the way we buy many things. For example, knowing that a washing
> machine has an annualized failure rate of 4% is academically
> interesting, but what we really want to know is, “How long can I expect
> the washing machine to last before I need to replace it?””
>
> It is never long enough.
>
> Lynn
It's becoming worse with planned obsolescence. As a society, it's now survival of the fittest and the wealthiest. Those who are not wealthy (the elite say they choose to be poor) are the one's suffering the most. All we care about is having the latest of everything. More importantly, it better look good because esthetics is more important than durability and reliability these days.