From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Blood Bowl 3 - have to screw up an IP
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:36:12 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:36 UTC

Well the user reviews are in and they aren't good. The core of the
complaints seems to be around what is considered excessive MTX and what
feels like a deliberately cut down base game for the purpose of DLC - so
kinda what you might expect. Oh and the game doesn't add a lot in terms
of actual gameplay from 2. To make it worse you can get the legendary
edition of 2 for the grand price of just over £5.

Oh well and who's looking forward to the next version of Diablo!

Re: Blood Bowl 3 - have to screw up an IP

<l7o40il3tnaoeh1r8jode895e1s53umlc7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11050&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11050

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Blood Bowl 3 - have to screw up an IP
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 16:11:48 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 21:11 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:36:12 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>Well the user reviews are in and they aren't good. The core of the
>complaints seems to be around what is considered excessive MTX and what
>feels like a deliberately cut down base game for the purpose of DLC - so
>kinda what you might expect. Oh and the game doesn't add a lot in terms
>of actual gameplay from 2. To make it worse you can get the legendary
>edition of 2 for the grand price of just over £5.

I never warmed up to the Blood Bowl series, mostly because its warmed
over American Football, and who wants that? But nonetheless, I played
the original DOS game and eked out some fun, and then the 2009 remake,
and enjoyed it mostly because of nostalgia. The third game ("Blood
Bowl II") barely got a look at because I just couldn't see the point;
it was just more of the same of a topic I was mostly just tolerating.
I didn't even know they were making a "Blood Bowl III".

Although nickle-and-diming customers for expansions? I don't know why
people are surprised; this is a Games Workshop license, after all.
(And it's not like "Blood Bowl II" didn't have a bunch of DLC either.

>Oh well and who's looking forward to the next version of Diablo!

Not I. Activision remains on the shit-list, Blizzard isn't much
better, and there's nothing I've seen from the Diablo series that
makes me want to give the company a second chance (and even if there
were, I'd still wouldn't give Activision any money. There are enough
good games available that I don't have to support corporations that
treat their employees so shoddily)

Re: Blood Bowl 3 - have to screw up an IP

<ttv99u$v6s7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11061&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11061

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 11:16:10 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 11:16 UTC

On 03/03/2023 21:11, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:36:12 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> Well the user reviews are in and they aren't good. The core of the
>> complaints seems to be around what is considered excessive MTX and what
>> feels like a deliberately cut down base game for the purpose of DLC - so
>> kinda what you might expect. Oh and the game doesn't add a lot in terms
>> of actual gameplay from 2. To make it worse you can get the legendary
>> edition of 2 for the grand price of just over £5.
>
> I never warmed up to the Blood Bowl series, mostly because its warmed
> over American Football, and who wants that? But nonetheless, I played
> the original DOS game and eked out some fun, and then the 2009 remake,
> and enjoyed it mostly because of nostalgia. The third game ("Blood
> Bowl II") barely got a look at because I just couldn't see the point;
> it was just more of the same of a topic I was mostly just tolerating.
> I didn't even know they were making a "Blood Bowl III".
>
> Although nickle-and-diming customers for expansions? I don't know why
> people are surprised; this is a Games Workshop license, after all.
> (And it's not like "Blood Bowl II" didn't have a bunch of DLC either.

I do have a copy of Blood Bowl 2 (damn you Steam sales) but I've not
really played it and the only reason I heard about 3 was due to
something on my YT feed.

Anyway, looking at some of the reviews the problem with the DLC seems to
be it includes things you might just expect in the base game, in terms
of customisation, and what you get for what you pay which is a bit of a
rip off especially considering that it really wasn't clear that your £10
to customise your team is more like just a single player. Oh and the
whole game sounds pretty buggy as has a in-game currency (no need to
guess how that will be structured).

Taking a cursory glance at BB:2 DLC that seems to follow a model I'm
either neutral about or think is actually a good thing. To take a couple
of examples of games I own, Field of Glory 2 and Lock and Load 'n Load,
they start with the base game has more than enough content (FG:2) or is
dirt cheap so is more like a paid for demo. Then because of the nature
of these type of games, yes they have lots of DLC but they are very much
of the is this a time period you're interested in.

I can get behind that as an idea because it doesn't feel like
'exploiting' customers but instead here's something that we think you
may like.

>> Oh well and who's looking forward to the next version of Diablo!
>
> Not I. Activision remains on the shit-list, Blizzard isn't much
> better, and there's nothing I've seen from the Diablo series that
> makes me want to give the company a second chance (and even if there
> were, I'd still wouldn't give Activision any money. There are enough
> good games available that I don't have to support corporations that
> treat their employees so shoddily)

Anything from Activision is pretty much a no from me because, as you
say, they go above and beyond the call of duty in the category of how to
treat your staff like crap.