"We will bury you." -- Nikita Kruschev

computers / alt.os.linux.suse / Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

SubjectAuthor
* Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!bad💽sector
`* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!Carlos E.R.
 `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!bad💽sector
  +* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!Carlos E.R.
  |`* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!bad💽sector
  | `- Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!Carlos E.R.
  `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!R Daneel Olivaw
   `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!bad💽sector
    `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!Carlos E.R.
     `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!bad💽sector
      `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!Carlos E.R.
       `* Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!bad💽sector
        `- Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!Carlos E.R.

1
Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<HwKdnXxtX9Kp74f7nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1100&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1100

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 07:53:23 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
Subject: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!
 by: bad💽sector - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:53 UTC

*zypper dup* often locks up one download or
another but the problem arises VIRTUALLY ALWAYS
ONLY while downloading from a packman repo and
not other repos. I've found a few workarounds
but am beginning to wonder what the underlying
real cause and what the associated permanent fix
might be. How no other repos are affected?

Retrieving: libavcodec60-6.1.1-1699.5.pm.3.x86_64.rpm
.........................................<55%>=================================[|
(5.6 KiB/s)]

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<1a6rekxr05.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1101&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1101

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:25:05 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:25 UTC

On 2024-04-13 13:53, bad💽sector wrote:
> *zypper dup* often locks up one download or
> another but the problem arises VIRTUALLY ALWAYS
> ONLY while downloading from a packman repo and
> not other repos. I've found a few workarounds
> but am beginning to wonder what the underlying
> real cause and what the associated permanent fix
> might be. How no other repos are affected?

Different server network. Obviously :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<K9CdndxskLS2VYb7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1102&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1102

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:12:27 -0400
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad💽sector - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:12 UTC

On 4/13/24 16:25, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-04-13 13:53, bad💽sector wrote:
>> *zypper dup* often locks up one download or
>> another but the problem arises VIRTUALLY ALWAYS
>> ONLY while downloading from a packman repo and
>> not other repos. I've found a few workarounds
>> but am beginning to wonder what the underlying
>> real cause and what the associated permanent fix
>> might be. How no other repos are affected?
>
> Different server network. Obviously :-)

is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
how come only on the packman repo?

---------------------------------
^C
Trying to exit gracefully...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
---------------------------------

NB. Many times there is no exit, graceful or ugly,
only a total hang!

Especially when observed only or mostly in association
with specific software then a segfault is a result of memory
mismanagment by that software (or did I miss sometyhing?).

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<mifuekx3md.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1103&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1103

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 04:21:42 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:21 UTC

On 2024-04-14 14:12, bad💽sector wrote:
> On 4/13/24 16:25, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2024-04-13 13:53, bad💽sector wrote:
>>> *zypper dup* often locks up one download or
>>> another but the problem arises VIRTUALLY ALWAYS
>>> ONLY while downloading from a packman repo and
>>> not other repos. I've found a few workarounds
>>> but am beginning to wonder what the underlying
>>> real cause and what the associated permanent fix
>>> might be. How no other repos are affected?
>>
>> Different server network. Obviously :-)
>
> is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
> how come only on the packman repo?

I repeat: different server network.

Don't you know that Packman doesn't belong to openSUSE, that it is a
different network, a different operator, a different ownership? It is
external? It doesn't benefit from the opensuse mirroring agreements?
Doesn't belong to the opensuse infraestructure? It is not maintained by
the same people? It is not operated by the same people? (even if some
people are in both) That it has a different legal status?

Why then would not a problem affect one and not the other?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<wSednSs3mItBK4D7nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1104&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1104

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:23:08 -0400
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad💽sector - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 23:23 UTC

On 4/14/24 22:21, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-04-14 14:12, bad💽sector wrote:
>>>
>>> Different server network. Obviously :-)
>>
>> is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
>> how come only on the packman repo?
>
> I repeat: different server network.
>
> Don't you know that Packman doesn't belong to openSUSE, that it is a
> different network, a different operator, a different ownership? It is
> external? It doesn't benefit from the opensuse mirroring agreements?
> Doesn't belong to the opensuse infraestructure? It is not maintained by
> the same people? It is not operated by the same people? (even if some
> people are in both) That it has a different legal status?
>
> Why then would not a problem affect one and not the other?

Irrelevant, regardless of whether it's maintained by the kremlin or by
the vatican the fact remains that the problem from where I sit is
virtually exclusively on a pacman repo. That repo tree has a lot to do
with DRM so as far as I'm concerned it could be hacked to sabotage it
from time to time, or to snoop or otherwise set up its cuustomers (among
dozens of other possibilities). If I came across like I was suspecting
suse devs of something I don't see where that arose from.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<g221fkx1cs.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1105&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1105

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 03:49:36 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 01:49 UTC

On 2024-04-16 01:23, bad💽sector wrote:
> On 4/14/24 22:21, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
>>> how come only on the packman repo?
>>
>> I repeat: different server network.
>>
>> Don't you know that Packman doesn't belong to openSUSE, that it is a
>> different network, a different operator, a different ownership? It is
>> external? It doesn't benefit from the opensuse mirroring agreements?
>> Doesn't belong to the opensuse infraestructure? It is not maintained
>> by the same people? It is not operated by the same people? (even if
>> some people are in both) That it has a different legal status?
>>
>> Why then would not a problem affect one and not the other?
>
> Irrelevant, regardless of whether it's maintained by the kremlin or by
> the vatican the fact remains that the problem from where I sit is
> virtually exclusively on a pacman repo.

Fully relevant.

If you are so obtuse as to not understand, I will not bother to explain.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<uvlj31$1obvk$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1106&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1106

From: Dan...@hyperspace.vogon.gov (R Daneel Olivaw)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:14:57 +0200
 by: R Daneel Olivaw - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:14 UTC

bad💽sector wrote:
> On 4/13/24 16:25, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2024-04-13 13:53, bad💽sector wrote:
>>> *zypper dup* often locks up one download or
>>> another but the problem arises VIRTUALLY ALWAYS
>>> ONLY while downloading from a packman repo and
>>> not other repos. I've found a few workarounds
>>> but am beginning to wonder what the underlying
>>> real cause and what the associated permanent fix
>>> might be. How no other repos are affected?
>>
>> Different server network. Obviously :-)
>
> is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
> how come only on the packman repo?
>
> ---------------------------------
> ^C
> Trying to exit gracefully...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> ---------------------------------
>
> NB. Many times there is no exit, graceful or ugly,
> only a total hang!
>
> Especially when observed only or mostly in association
> with specific software then a segfault is a result of memory
> mismanagment by that software (or did I miss sometyhing?).

My guess is that http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors has the answer.
Which mirror are you using? I'm set up for the gwdg one (with https)
and that seems to work just fine, I was using an Austrian one a couple
of years ago but it went offline without warning and I think I've been
using the current one ever since.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<rOicnVIM49xl5YP7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1107&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1107

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:11:19 -0400
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad💽sector - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:11 UTC

On 4/16/24 06:14, R Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> bad💽sector wrote:
>>>
>>> Different server network. Obviously :-)
>>
>> is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
>> how come only on the packman repo?
>>
>> ---------------------------------
>> ^C
>> Trying to exit gracefully...
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> ---------------------------------
>>
>> NB. Many times there is no exit, graceful or ugly,
>> only a total hang!
>>
>> Especially when observed only or mostly in association
>> with specific software then a segfault is a result of memory
>> mismanagment by that software (or did I miss sometyhing?).
>
> My guess is that http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors has the answer.
> Which mirror are you using?  I'm set up for the gwdg one (with https)
> and that seems to work just fine, I was using an Austrian one a couple
> of years ago but it went offline without warning and I think I've been
> using the current one ever since.

Thank you, it's still doing it BTW:

Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64 (Packman
Essentials Repository) (95/96), 210.4 KiB
Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
.................<52%>===============[| (1.6 KiB/s)]

This was the repo in use (coughed up by Yast under 'community repos'):
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials

the mirros page shows just: http:// no https:// and if I try to edit
it to https in Yast it gets written as http only

BUT if I truncate to just FTP

ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials

then 1st attempt gives me:

# zypper dup
Reading installed packages...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
(segfault=badly written software)

2nd attemp after reboot works ok

So my question remains: WHAT is CAUSING this, swinging repos is NOT the
answer it's just a workaround. I'd like to find THE cause and fix THAT
(i.e. help getting it fixed).

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<dek2fkx9i2.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1108&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1108

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:09:17 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:09 UTC

On 2024-04-16 15:11, bad💽sector wrote:
> On 4/16/24 06:14, R Daneel Olivaw wrote:
>> bad💽sector wrote:

>>> is THIS a clue? And even if it be one, again
>>> how come only on the packman repo?
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------
>>> ^C
>>> Trying to exit gracefully...
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>> ---------------------------------
>>>
>>> NB. Many times there is no exit, graceful or ugly,
>>> only a total hang!
>>>
>>> Especially when observed only or mostly in association
>>> with specific software then a segfault is a result of memory
>>> mismanagment by that software (or did I miss sometyhing?).
>>
>> My guess is that http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors has the
>> answer. Which mirror are you using?  I'm set up for the gwdg one (with
>> https) and that seems to work just fine, I was using an Austrian one a
>> couple of years ago but it went offline without warning and I think
>> I've been using the current one ever since.
>

> Thank you, it's still doing it BTW:
>
> Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64 (Packman
> Essentials Repository)  (95/96), 210.4 KiB
> Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
> ................<52%>===============[| (1.6 KiB/s)]

Have you tried to download that file directly?

http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm

cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A> wget http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
--2024-04-16 18:02:00-- http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
Resolving ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)... 137.226.34.46, 2a00:8a60:e012:a00::21
Connecting to ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)|137.226.34.46|:80... connected.
Length: 215472 (210K) [application/x-redhat-package-manager]
Saving to: ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’

Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-169 100%[=============================================>] 210,42K --.-KB/s in 0,1s

2024-04-16 18:02:01 (1,42 MB/s) - ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’ saved [215472/215472]

cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A>

It downloads here instantly, so you selected a bad mirror. Choose another one.

You can also download it manually, and put in the appropriate directory. In my machine, that would be:

/var/cache/zypp/packages/Ext_Packman/Essentials/x86_64/

> This was the repo in use (coughed up by Yast under 'community repos'):
> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials
>
> the mirros page shows just: http://   no https://  and if I try to edit
> it to https in Yast it gets written as http only

Use the ones actually on the page. If there are no https, then there are no https.

> BUT if I truncate to just FTP
>
> ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials

With no protocol? You are asking the software to crash.

For ftp it would be:

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/

> then 1st attempt gives me:
>
> # zypper dup
> Reading installed packages...
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> (segfault=badly written software)

Or badly updated machine :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<rQidnUSaitExJoP7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1109&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1109

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:55:56 -0400
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad💽sector - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:55 UTC

On 4/16/24 12:09, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-04-16 15:11, bad💽sector wrote:

>>> My guess is that http://packman.links2linux.org/mirrors has the
>>> answer. Which mirror are you using?  I'm set up for the gwdg one
>>> (with https) and that seems to work just fine, I was using an
>>> Austrian one a couple of years ago but it went offline without
>>> warning and I think I've been using the current one ever since.
>>

>> Thank you, it's still doing it BTW:
>>
>> Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64 (Packman
>> Essentials Repository)  (95/96), 210.4 KiB
>> Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>> ................<52%>===============[| (1.6 KiB/s)]
>
> Have you tried to download that file directly?

Sure have, two things have proven effective

1
change repo (wrong answer)

2
taboo the package (wrong answer)

> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>

> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A> wget
> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
> --2024-04-16 18:02:00--
> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
> Resolving ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)...
> 137.226.34.46, 2a00:8a60:e012:a00::21
> Connecting to ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
> (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)|137.226.34.46|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 215472 (210K) [application/x-redhat-package-manager]
> Saving to: ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’
>
> Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-169
> 100%[=============================================>] 210,42K
> --.-KB/s    in 0,1s
>
> 2024-04-16 18:02:01 (1,42 MB/s) -
> ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’ saved [215472/215472]
>
> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A>
>

> It downloads here instantly, so you selected a bad mirror. Choose
> another one.
>
> You can also download it manually, and put in the appropriate directory.
> In my machine, that would be:
>
> /var/cache/zypp/packages/Ext_Packman/Essentials/x86_64/

Doesn't change the fact that it affects packman only, something on that
repo is limping or being interfered with, I have seen this on other
packman repos going back quite a while. Sometimes a repo change works,
it worked this time again but I don't see how THAT could be THE
solution. There's no 'ignore' option either because there has been no
'failure' as such, or a timeout to open any other options. It just locks
up. Sometimes even Cntrl-C is a hit-or-miss affair.

>> This was the repo in use (coughed up by Yast under 'community repos'):
>> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials
>>
>> the mirros page shows just: http://   no https://  and if I try to
>> edit it to https in Yast it gets written as http only
>
> Use the ones actually on the page. If there are no https, then there are
> no https.
>

>> BUT if I truncate to just FTP
>>
>> ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials
>
> With no protocol? You are asking the software to crash.
>
> For ftp it would be:
>
> ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/

I don't remember, Yast must have prepended it just as it fixed an https
entry to http.

>> then 1st attempt gives me:
>>
>> # zypper dup
>> Reading installed packages...
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> (segfault=badly written software)
>
> Or badly updated machine :-)

Could be a result and not a cause.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<n363fkxlkb.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1110&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1110

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 23:10:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:10 UTC

On 2024-04-16 19:55, bad💽sector wrote:
> On 4/16/24 12:09, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Thank you, it's still doing it BTW:
>>>
>>> Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64 (Packman
>>> Essentials Repository)  (95/96), 210.4 KiB
>>> Retrieving: Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>>> ................<52%>===============[| (1.6 KiB/s)]
>>
>> Have you tried to download that file directly?
>
> Sure have, two things have proven effective
>
> 1
> change repo (wrong answer)
>
> 2
> taboo the package (wrong answer)
>

>> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>>

>> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A> wget
>> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>> --2024-04-16 18:02:00--
>> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>> Resolving ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)...
>> 137.226.34.46, 2a00:8a60:e012:a00::21
>> Connecting to ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
>> (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)|137.226.34.46|:80... connected.
>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>> Length: 215472 (210K) [application/x-redhat-package-manager]
>> Saving to: ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’
>>
>> Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-169
>> 100%[=============================================>] 210,42K
>> --.-KB/s    in 0,1s
>>
>> 2024-04-16 18:02:01 (1,42 MB/s) -
>> ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’ saved [215472/215472]
>>
>> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A>
>>

>> It downloads here instantly, so you selected a bad mirror. Choose
>> another one.
>>
>> You can also download it manually, and put in the appropriate
>> directory. In my machine, that would be:
>>
>> /var/cache/zypp/packages/Ext_Packman/Essentials/x86_64/
>
> Doesn't change the fact that it affects packman only, something on that
> repo is limping or being interfered with, I have seen this on other
> packman repos going back quite a while. Sometimes a repo change works,
> it worked this time again but I don't see how THAT could be THE
> solution. There's no 'ignore' option either because there has been no
> 'failure' as such, or a timeout to open any other options. It just locks
> up. Sometimes even Cntrl-C is a hit-or-miss affair.

Cntrl-C is known to not work as you would assume. Areas of zypper are
non interruptible.

>>> This was the repo in use (coughed up by Yast under 'community repos'):
>>> http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials
>>>
>>> the mirros page shows just: http://   no https://  and if I try to
>>> edit it to https in Yast it gets written as http only
>>
>> Use the ones actually on the page. If there are no https, then there
>> are no https.
>>

>>> BUT if I truncate to just FTP
>>>
>>> ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials
>>
>> With no protocol? You are asking the software to crash.
>>
>> For ftp it would be:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/
>
> I don't remember, Yast must have prepended it just as it fixed an https
> entry to http.

No, ftp.gwdg.de goes to http.

>>> then 1st attempt gives me:
>>>
>>> # zypper dup
>>> Reading installed packages...
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>> (segfault=badly written software)
>>
>> Or badly updated machine :-)
>
> Could be a result and not a cause.

Whatever. I do not use Tumbleweed for a reason.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<l_Scnbm2d5JjvoL7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1111&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1111

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:21:02 -0400
From: forget...@_INVALID.net (bad💽sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
 by: bad💽sector - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:21 UTC

On 4/16/24 17:10, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-04-16 19:55, bad💽sector wrote:

>>> Have you tried to download that file directly?
>>
>> Sure have, two things have proven effective
>>
>> 1
>> change repo (wrong answer)
>>
>> 2
>> taboo the package (wrong answer)
>>

>>> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>>>

>>> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A> wget
>>> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>>> --2024-04-16 18:02:00--
>>> http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm
>>> Resolving ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)...
>>> 137.226.34.46, 2a00:8a60:e012:a00::21
>>> Connecting to ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
>>> (ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de)|137.226.34.46|:80... connected.
>>> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>>> Length: 215472 (210K) [application/x-redhat-package-manager]
>>> Saving to: ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’
>>>
>>> Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-169
>>> 100%[=============================================>] 210,42K
>>> --.-KB/s    in 0,1s
>>>
>>> 2024-04-16 18:02:01 (1,42 MB/s) -
>>> ‘Mesa-libGL1-32bit-24.0.3-1699.375.pm.2.x86_64.rpm’ saved
>>> [215472/215472]
>>>
>>> cer@Telcontar:~/tmp/A>
>>>

>>> It downloads here instantly, so you selected a bad mirror. Choose
>>> another one.
>>>
>>> You can also download it manually, and put in the appropriate
>>> directory. In my machine, that would be:
>>>
>>> /var/cache/zypp/packages/Ext_Packman/Essentials/x86_64/
>>
>> Doesn't change the fact that it affects packman only, something on
>> that repo is limping or being interfered with, I have seen this on
>> other packman repos going back quite a while. Sometimes a repo change
>> works, it worked this time again but I don't see how THAT could be THE
>> solution. There's no 'ignore' option either because there has been no
>> 'failure' as such, or a timeout to open any other options. It just
>> locks up. Sometimes even Cntrl-C is a hit-or-miss affair.
>

> Cntrl-C is known to not work as you would assume. Areas of zypper are
> non interruptible.

No problemo, there's always the ON/OFF switch by the power supply unit

>>> Use the ones actually on the page. If there are no https, then there
>>> are no https.

>>> With no protocol? You are asking the software to crash.
>>>
>>> For ftp it would be:
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/
>>
>> I don't remember, Yast must have prepended it just as it fixed an
>> https entry to http.
>
> No, ftp.gwdg.de goes to http.

maybe, but the update THAT came from this and only this :-))

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials

>>> Or badly updated machine :-)
>>
>> Could be a result and not a cause.
>
> Whatever. I do not use Tumbleweed for a reason.

I will use it for another year, maybe; for now I'm downleveled from 7
distros to only 4

Artix, Devuan, Slackware, Tumbleweed

Re: Repo-specific zypper bug? Never seen one before!

<mjp3fkxs0q.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1112&group=alt.os.linux.suse#1112

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 04:43:34 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 02:43 UTC

On 2024-04-17 03:21, bad💽sector wrote:
> On 4/16/24 17:10, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> Doesn't change the fact that it affects packman only, something on
>>> that repo is limping or being interfered with, I have seen this on
>>> other packman repos going back quite a while. Sometimes a repo change
>>> works, it worked this time again but I don't see how THAT could be
>>> THE solution. There's no 'ignore' option either because there has
>>> been no 'failure' as such, or a timeout to open any other options. It
>>> just locks up. Sometimes even Cntrl-C is a hit-or-miss affair.
>>

>> Cntrl-C is known to not work as you would assume. Areas of zypper are
>> non interruptible.
>
> No problemo, there's always the ON/OFF switch by the power supply unit

And then you can get a corrupted rpm database, and that is a big problem.

Cheers, Carlos.