On a clear disk you can seek forever. -- P. Denning

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Humble Choice games: March 2023Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023Mike S.
+* Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023Zaghadka
|`* Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023Spalls Hurgenson
| +- Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023Zaghadka
| `- Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023JAB
`- Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023JAB

1
Humble Choice games: March 2023

<on2f0ipr2pjuqqr1idbskarcofe7tiu6gc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11120&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11120

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Humble Choice games: March 2023
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:35:14 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:35 UTC

Yadda yadda. You know the drill; no need for me to go over it again.
Here are the game's being offered on HumbleChoice this month. (links
to Steam are informational only, if you want the games you gotta
acquire them through HumbleChoice first)

* BioMutant
https://store.steampowered.com/app/597820/BIOMUTANT/
It's "Fallout" for Furries (with a side-order of Kung Fu). Kick
post-apocalyptic butt, racoon style. Reviews are mixed, with most
giving a thumbs-up on the world and mechanics, but thumbs-down to the
plot and dialog. It seems like the sort of game that's nice to play
for a bit just to see what it's like, but not one you stick around
with to the end.

* Jurassic World Evolution 2
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1244460/Jurassic_World_Evolution_2/
It's "ThemePark" with murderous dinosaurs (and less humor). For all
those who watched the movies and their take-away was, "The logistical
challenge of such a park sound fascinating!" It's a sequel that is a
slight evolutionary improvement over the original, except now it has
more DLC. But the dinosaurs look neat.

* Edge of Eternity
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=Edge+of+Eternity
It's "Final Fantasy" with even less control over the combat and plot.
An Indie-developed JRPG that apes its better known cousins with a
tenth the development budget. Not too bad if you like the genre,
although limited in scope by its origins. It won't make you a believer
if you aren't already a fan of this sort of game, though.

* Hero's Hour
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1656780/Heros_Hour/
It's "Half-Minute Hero" but 12000% more! Top-down retro graphics,
fast-paced combat, procedurally generated world, fantasy setting. Not
very deep (feels, unsurprisingly, a bit like a mobile game) but I
guess it's okay for what it is. Not really my thing, though.

* Rogue Lords
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069690/Rogue_Lords/
It's... um.... you know, I have no fuckin' idea what to compare this
to. Apparently it's a rogue-like and you play the bad-guy. Card
mechanics are apparently used. Meh.

* Demon Turf
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069690/Rogue_Lords/
I dunno... "Spyro the Dragon" except you're a little girl? It's a 3D
platformer. Is it good? It gets positive reviews, but the character
design, art, and (oh God make it stop!) voices and music just aren't
my thing.

* Golden Light
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245430/Golden_Light/
Nominally a horror FPS, except... weird. If it's trailer -featuring a
playthrough by a screaming youtuber - it's gimmick seems to be "hahah
aren't we so different from everything else" rather than an
interesting setting or mechanics. Again, this might be a good game
(some of the retro-graphic gore have a certain appeal) but the style
just doesn't match what I want out of a game.

* Monster Crown
https://store.steampowered.com/app/830370/Monster_Crown/
It's "Pokemon" but with lots of bugs. A retro-graphic JRPG. Also,
incredibly negative reviews (which, honestly, is a first for a
HumbleChoice game; usually they're mediocre or better). But this game
seems to be a buggy mess and the bits that do work seem blah at best.

So, yeah. It's getting really hard to recommend HumbleChoice. This
month there aren't any games that really scream "You Want This!" and a
number of games I'd actively avoid. Maybe their problem is that
they've already gone through all the good games already? I dunno. Is
it worth the $12 USD to acquire this selection? Even for a sucker like
me, it's a hard sell. I hope things improve because otherwise I might
just give up on them entirely. But if I do that, what will I bitch
about?

Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

<937f0it5q6kdmj3r8k7ucatrghchb65f10@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11122&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11122

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:23:26 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:23 UTC

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:35:14 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>So, yeah. It's getting really hard to recommend HumbleChoice. This
>month there aren't any games that really scream "You Want This!" and a
>number of games I'd actively avoid. Maybe their problem is that
>they've already gone through all the good games already? I dunno. Is
>it worth the $12 USD to acquire this selection? Even for a sucker like
>me, it's a hard sell. I hope things improve because otherwise I might
>just give up on them entirely. But if I do that, what will I bitch
>about?

Now that I know how the humble bundle monthly game thing works, I
really appreciate your posts about it.

With that said, I wouldn't blame you if you gave up on posting about
them because I agree. This selection of games is underwhelming. I
really only need one or two good games to consider getting it but
there is nothing here that I want this month. Oh well.

Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

<fkbf0iponmc3qknfq05h7cvs4o2g6lsq9q@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11124&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11124

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:41:55 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 21:41 UTC

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:35:14 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>I dunno. Is
>it worth the $12 USD to acquire this selection? Even for a sucker like
>me, it's a hard sell. I hope things improve because otherwise I might
>just give up on them entirely. But if I do that, what will I bitch
>about?

If you have to ask...

NNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
NNNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
NNNN NNN FFF TTT
NNNNN NNN FFFFFFF TTT
NNN NNNNN FFFFFFF TTT
NNN NNNN FFF TTT
NNN NNN FFF TTT
NNN NNN FFF TTT
NNN NN FFF TTT S

The gift that keeps on giving (or taking) as the case may be.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

<icdh0iloriqm0fhs4mbgnf98r78rrm3bor@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11132&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11132

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 11:35:56 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:35 UTC

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:41:55 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:35:14 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>I dunno. Is
>>it worth the $12 USD to acquire this selection? Even for a sucker like
>>me, it's a hard sell. I hope things improve because otherwise I might
>>just give up on them entirely. But if I do that, what will I bitch
>>about?

>If you have to ask...

>NNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
>NNNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
>NNNN NNN FFF TTT
>NNNNN NNN FFFFFFF TTT
>NNN NNNNN FFFFFFF TTT
>NNN NNNN FFF TTT
>NNN NNN FFF TTT
>NNN NNN FFF TTT
>NNN NN FFF TTT S

>The gift that keeps on giving (or taking) as the case may be.

NFTs don't have quite the impact that they used to, largely because by
this point most people recognize how stupid they are. A year ago,
when NFTs were an unknown to people, you could have a discussion about
the things. Now, you just mention NFTs and people automatically roll
their eyes and say, "Oh god, what now?" (It is sort of the software
equivalent of Elon Musk ;-). Any discussion is over because everyone
is already in on the joke even before you're told it.

Sure, from a societal level this is a good thing, but it means I can't
rant as pleasurably. ;-)

Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

<nffh0i5vqi1aer1qmsc15euf33fgmn9ael@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11134&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11134

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 10:55:33 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:55 UTC

On Wed, 08 Mar 2023 11:35:56 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:41:55 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:35:14 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>>Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>>I dunno. Is
>>>it worth the $12 USD to acquire this selection? Even for a sucker like
>>>me, it's a hard sell. I hope things improve because otherwise I might
>>>just give up on them entirely. But if I do that, what will I bitch
>>>about?
>

>>If you have to ask...
>
>>NNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
>>NNNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
>>NNNN NNN FFF TTT
>>NNNNN NNN FFFFFFF TTT
>>NNN NNNNN FFFFFFF TTT
>>NNN NNNN FFF TTT
>>NNN NNN FFF TTT
>>NNN NNN FFF TTT
>>NNN NN FFF TTT S
>
>>The gift that keeps on giving (or taking) as the case may be.
>
>NFTs don't have quite the impact that they used to, largely because by
>this point most people recognize how stupid they are. A year ago,
>when NFTs were an unknown to people, you could have a discussion about
>the things. Now, you just mention NFTs and people automatically roll
>their eyes and say, "Oh god, what now?" (It is sort of the software
>equivalent of Elon Musk ;-). Any discussion is over because everyone
>is already in on the joke even before you're told it.
>
>Sure, from a societal level this is a good thing, but it means I can't
>rant as pleasurably. ;-)

Not even a compliment on the ASCII art...

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

<tuc64t$1c88h$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11138&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11138

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:42:03 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:42 UTC

That's a pretty poor looking list and feels like an Amazon Prime
'giveaway' in a not very good month!

Re: Humble Choice games: March 2023

<tuc69e$1c88h$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11139&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11139

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:44:27 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:44 UTC

On 08/03/2023 16:35, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 15:41:55 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:35:14 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
>> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>> I dunno. Is
>>> it worth the $12 USD to acquire this selection? Even for a sucker like
>>> me, it's a hard sell. I hope things improve because otherwise I might
>>> just give up on them entirely. But if I do that, what will I bitch
>>> about?
>

>> If you have to ask...
>
>> NNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
>> NNNN NNN FFFFFFFFF TTTTTTTTT
>> NNNN NNN FFF TTT
>> NNNNN NNN FFFFFFF TTT
>> NNN NNNNN FFFFFFF TTT
>> NNN NNNN FFF TTT
>> NNN NNN FFF TTT
>> NNN NNN FFF TTT
>> NNN NN FFF TTT S
>
>> The gift that keeps on giving (or taking) as the case may be.
>
> NFTs don't have quite the impact that they used to, largely because by
> this point most people recognize how stupid they are. A year ago,
> when NFTs were an unknown to people, you could have a discussion about
> the things. Now, you just mention NFTs and people automatically roll
> their eyes and say, "Oh god, what now?" (It is sort of the software
> equivalent of Elon Musk ;-). Any discussion is over because everyone
> is already in on the joke even before you're told it.
>
> Sure, from a societal level this is a good thing, but it means I can't
> rant as pleasurably. ;-)

Yeh, I know what you mean about Musk. If there's a story about him now
it's very much a case of what stupidity has he been up to now.