Are you having fun yet?

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

SubjectAuthor
* Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEZaghadka
+* Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEMike S.
|+- Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEZaghadka
|`* Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEJAB
| `* Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEMike S.
|  `* Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEJAB
|   `* Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EESpalls Hurgenson
|    `- Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEJAB
`- Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EEJAB

1
Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<4mve0i54kgpq20ugs7m0d9m09534g8chiq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11117&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11117

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:15:21 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 18:15 UTC

The latest give away on gaming.amazon.com is Baldur's Gate (the original)
Enhanced Edition.

If you want to replay BG, this is the way to do it. Either that or
EasyTUTU.

Problem is, mostly everyone who wants(ed) to play BG already has.

I snapped this up on GOG years ago, but for those of you with Prime, it's
a no-brainer grab, even if you're unlikely to play it.

Cheers!

--
Zag

West of House
There is a small mailbox here.

>read leaflet
"WELCOME TO USENET!

USENET is a game of adventure, danger,
and low cunning. In it you will
explore some of the most amazing
territory ever seen by mortals. No
computer should be without it!"

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<1u2f0id7rthr3iravh14bb6m21ql7u83cr@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11118&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11118

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:11:35 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:11 UTC

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:15:21 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The latest give away on gaming.amazon.com is Baldur's Gate (the original)
>Enhanced Edition.
>
>If you want to replay BG, this is the way to do it. Either that or
>EasyTUTU.

EasyTUTU was the very first mod for a game I ever used. There was no
way it was going to work I said. I was wrong. I have been hooked on
modding my games ever since.

And yes, I play BG via the EE now but EasyTUTU is the next best way.

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<sf3f0i1herjk78r29kisinv89647q97e1s@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11119&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11119

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 13:18:34 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:18 UTC

On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:11:35 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, Mike
S. wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:15:21 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>The latest give away on gaming.amazon.com is Baldur's Gate (the original)
>>Enhanced Edition.
>>
>>If you want to replay BG, this is the way to do it. Either that or
>>EasyTUTU.
>
>EasyTUTU was the very first mod for a game I ever used. There was no
>way it was going to work I said. I was wrong. I have been hooked on
>modding my games ever since.
>
>And yes, I play BG via the EE now but EasyTUTU is the next best way.

Playing BG1 as a wild-mage for the win!

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<tuc7nf$1c88h$7@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11143&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11143

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:09:00 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:09 UTC

On 07/03/2023 19:11, Mike S. wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2023 12:15:21 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The latest give away on gaming.amazon.com is Baldur's Gate (the original)
>> Enhanced Edition.
>>
>> If you want to replay BG, this is the way to do it. Either that or
>> EasyTUTU.
>
> EasyTUTU was the very first mod for a game I ever used. There was no
> way it was going to work I said. I was wrong. I have been hooked on
> modding my games ever since.
>
> And yes, I play BG via the EE now but EasyTUTU is the next best way.

I have, I think, all the EE versions except Icewind Dale. I have the
original but I always found the story lacking and I didn't like the idea
of playing six blank slate characters instead of the normal main
character (with backstory) and companions you could meet.

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<ucak0idlgs753i4n7g2f82aaaju40b6j9v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11146&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11146

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 13:51:46 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 9 Mar 2023 18:51 UTC

On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:09:00 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>I have, I think, all the EE versions except Icewind Dale. I have the
>original but I always found the story lacking and I didn't like the idea
>of playing six blank slate characters instead of the normal main
>character (with backstory) and companions you could meet.

Baldur's Gate 2 improves just about everything over the original. It
is a classic for a reason. But if you did not like the first one, I
wouldn't bother with it. Icewind Dale is a very combat heavy RPG and
so I do not think you will like that either.

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<tukcov$31lgu$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11177&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11177

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:24:08 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:24 UTC

On 10/03/2023 14:54, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:32:15 +0000, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, JAB
> wrote:
>
>> Icewind Dale I can kinda see where they were going with creating
>> creating something that may be like a style of TT D&D but just not my
>> cup of tea as story is the core to me an combat I look on more as a
>> change of pace than anything else.
>
> Icewind Dale is the Fallout Tactics of the series, in theme not quality.
> You have to really love the combat as its focus is more on tactical
> action.
>
> I enjoyed the heck out of it and IWD2 but, unlike the Baldur's Gate
> series, wouldn't want to replay them.

Yeh, one of the problems I had with it was although I like both tactical
combat games and RPG's I prefer that a game is either one or the other
and not a mish-mash of tactical combat and RPG. I t something that put
me off Divinity: Original Sin.

Another series of games in that category is Total War, am I playing a
tactical wargame or a grand strategy game.

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<40rr0ipiqvsbcdn0uhqntvjpan3rqo5a0o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11178&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11178

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:20:15 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:20 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:24:08 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 10/03/2023 14:54, Zaghadka wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:32:15 +0000, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, JAB
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Icewind Dale I can kinda see where they were going with creating
>>> creating something that may be like a style of TT D&D but just not my
>>> cup of tea as story is the core to me an combat I look on more as a
>>> change of pace than anything else.
>>
>> Icewind Dale is the Fallout Tactics of the series, in theme not quality.
>> You have to really love the combat as its focus is more on tactical
>> action.
>>
>> I enjoyed the heck out of it and IWD2 but, unlike the Baldur's Gate
>> series, wouldn't want to replay them.
>>

>Yeh, one of the problems I had with it was although I like both tactical
>combat games and RPG's I prefer that a game is either one or the other
>and not a mish-mash of tactical combat and RPG. I t something that put
>me off Divinity: Original Sin.
>
>Another series of games in that category is Total War, am I playing a
>tactical wargame or a grand strategy game.

Even though I've always preferred 4X games over tactical combat games,
the drama of those huge armies smashing into each other was always the
biggest draw of the Total War. I didn't like actually fighting the
battles but watching them? Yes please. Which is why I was always
disappointed that the games never offered a way to auto-fight the
battles in real-time.

Oh sure, you could click the "auto-resolve" battle, but then all you
got was a summary of how many units on either side got the axe. But
they never SHOWED any of it happening, which I always felt was a
missed opportunity, both to rope-in 4X grognards like myself, and to
showcase the game's battle AI.

(Actually, I haven't bothered with the Total War franchise in a while
so maybe this is something they added in the interim. If it is, I may
give the series another chance. The 4X strategy aspect of the series
actually was fairly weak, but I can tolerate it if I get to see my
enemies giant armies ripped to pieces by a cunning flanking attack ;-)

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<tumqm4$3m2l0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11184&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11184

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:33:55 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:33 UTC

On 12/03/2023 15:20, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> Another series of games in that category is Total War, am I playing a
>> tactical wargame or a grand strategy game.
> Even though I've always preferred 4X games over tactical combat games,
> the drama of those huge armies smashing into each other was always the
> biggest draw of the Total War. I didn't like actually fighting the
> battles but watching them? Yes please. Which is why I was always
> disappointed that the games never offered a way to auto-fight the
> battles in real-time.
>
> Oh sure, you could click the "auto-resolve" battle, but then all you
> got was a summary of how many units on either side got the axe. But
> they never SHOWED any of it happening, which I always felt was a
> missed opportunity, both to rope-in 4X grognards like myself, and to
> showcase the game's battle AI.
>
> (Actually, I haven't bothered with the Total War franchise in a while
> so maybe this is something they added in the interim. If it is, I may
> give the series another chance. The 4X strategy aspect of the series
> actually was fairly weak, but I can tolerate it if I get to see my
> enemies giant armies ripped to pieces by a cunning flanking attack 😉

The last Total War game I played was TW:Medieval 2 and I gave up after
probably a couple of hours as it felt like it suffered the same problems
that the others did. The biggies are the AI just isn't very good, the
tactical depth is almost a case of rock-paper-scissors and worst of all
it often felt like the best tactic was just to grab all your units and
rush head long into the enemy. The one I enjoyed the most was Viking
Invasion as the grand strategy side was less at the core due to the
small map size and the battles seemed more manageable in scale.

To be fair though AI in wargames is often not that good although there
does seem to be a link between having a well defined set of 'mechanical'
rules that are easier to create an AI for. They can go too far though
and it was one of the problems I found with Unity Command, the AI was
brutally good at crunching the numbers and cutting your supply chain off.

Re: Prime Gaming news: Baldur's Gate EE

<tumshu$3mgdv$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11187&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11187

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:05:49 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:05 UTC

The latest tranche of games.

Adios
-----

This one is on my Steam wishlist so I obviously grabbed it. It's
supposed to only be a short game and quite possibly not a game at all
but more of a story telling medium. The story, a pig farmer who decides
that the mob can no longer use his farm to dispose of bodies and a
hitman sent to convince you you're making a mistake.

I Am Fish
---------

Some sort of physics based adventure according to the blurb.