From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Excellent Humble Heroines Bundle! Take a look!
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:47:57 -0700
 by: rms - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 20:47 UTC

>I couldn't get into Control either. Tried it twice....

[My Control review from a year or two back]
Control Review This is a replay for me; I bought this at launch on the Epic
store and played through the main campaign (the DLC did not exist as yet) in
DX11 on my old computer build, enjoying it immensely. This time I was able
to run DX12 with RTX turned on, and play both the campaign as well as all
three of the DLC, and it was even more enjoyable than the first time.

Did ray-tracing actually improve the experience in Control? I'd have to say
pretty minimally. Remember that Control was an early example of RTX
adoption, and most of the addition is just reflective surfaces, and there
were situations where it felt over-emphasized to the point of distraction:
Panes of glass in office windows become mirror-like, and I found myself
smashing glass over and over just in order to see what was behind without
the distraction. I hope to load up a more recent example like Metro Exodus
again to see what else the technology has to offer.

Replaying the campaign was just as enjoyable as the first time; combat-wise,
by now I was intimately familiar with enemy behavior and attack timings, so
boss encounters, after a short re-learning period were over much sooner. The
Pit "mold monster" was just as hard as I'd recalled and died several times,
but this time I realized when I was under-leveled, backed off, and did other
missions before returning to complete the battle. And in general, knowing
where secrets and hidden areas were made leveling up quicker and fights
shorter. I 100%'d collectibles & lacked a couple minor cheevos (like the
hidden catsuit DLC quest)

But the new content is what you want to hear about, right? Well, it's great.
There are three: The A.W.E. Alan Wake-themed DLC; The Foundation; and
Expeditions. Expeditions is the simplest: no plot, but a timed group of
small areas that task you with finding scattered data objects and defeating
waves of enemies. Just completing the shortest of these took many tries for
me, and had to wait till I was almost fully-leveled up. You can do these
over and over I guess, but once was enough for me.

The Alan Wake DLC is given to you as just another optional side-mission,
like many others in the campaign, and I opted to do it before completing the
main game. Both this and The Foundation are cleverly integrated into the
main FBC complex as just being separate stops on the main elevator. This
"Investigations" level is just as extensive as the other departments in the
main campaign, and you'll do lots of looping around and solving sub-missions
and exploring, finding collectibles, and pursuing/being pursued by the main
enemy boss. Since this is an Alan Wake-themed DLC, these collectibles and
boss all involve linking the Alan Wake plot with that of Control, and
bringing both franchises into the same universe, and it is really well done:
I enjoyed this aspect of it a lot.

The Foundation DLC I found truly special. You're only given it at the end of
the game, and it has a subterranean, slightly creepy atmosphere that takes
you out of the familiar office complexes and into an extensive cave complex,
with one or two new enemy types, and some new power-up options, that can be
used to change up your gameplay style, should you choose. It also solves an
outstanding mystery of the main campaign: What Happened To Marshall? Great
stuff.

rms

Re: Excellent Humble Heroines Bundle! Take a look!

<gj2q0i908mjsremsv3cg5n2jnlu9thd7le@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11173&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11173

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 19:24:00 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 00:24 UTC

On Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:47:57 -0700, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>>I couldn't get into Control either. Tried it twice....

>[My Control review from a year or two back]
>Control Review This is a replay for me; I bought this at launch on the Epic
>store and played through the main campaign (the DLC did not exist as yet) in
>DX11 on my old computer build, enjoying it immensely. This time I was able
>to run DX12 with RTX turned on, and play both the campaign as well as all
>three of the DLC, and it was even more enjoyable than the first time.

"Control" is one of those games that really benefitted from its
expansions. It's not that they are, individually, so good or even that
the main game is so lacking, but they added some much need variety to
the quest. Even though mechanically the gameplay is near-identical,
both thematically in in terms of setting the expansions are just
different enough.

Even with the DLC, "Control" is often a blur of grey, concrete
corridors so even the slightest bits of novelty are extremely welcome.
The main story and levels just can't carry the whole game all on their
own. It's sort of like "Mass Effect 3" in that regard, but at least in
the case of "Control", the expansions feel like something designed
after the fact, rather than content cut from the main campaign in
order to squeeze out a few extra bucks from the fans.

Re: Excellent Humble Heroines Bundle! Take a look!

<tukcep$31lgu$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11176&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11176

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:18:42 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:18 UTC

On 12/03/2023 00:24, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:47:57 -0700, "rms"
> <rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:
>
>>> I couldn't get into Control either. Tried it twice....
>
>> [My Control review from a year or two back]
>> Control Review This is a replay for me; I bought this at launch on the Epic
>> store and played through the main campaign (the DLC did not exist as yet) in
>> DX11 on my old computer build, enjoying it immensely. This time I was able
>> to run DX12 with RTX turned on, and play both the campaign as well as all
>> three of the DLC, and it was even more enjoyable than the first time.
>
> "Control" is one of those games that really benefitted from its
> expansions. It's not that they are, individually, so good or even that
> the main game is so lacking, but they added some much need variety to
> the quest. Even though mechanically the gameplay is near-identical,
> both thematically in in terms of setting the expansions are just
> different enough.
>
> Even with the DLC, "Control" is often a blur of grey, concrete
> corridors so even the slightest bits of novelty are extremely welcome.
> The main story and levels just can't carry the whole game all on their
> own. It's sort of like "Mass Effect 3" in that regard, but at least in
> the case of "Control", the expansions feel like something designed
> after the fact, rather than content cut from the main campaign in
> order to squeeze out a few extra bucks from the fans.

I've not got the DLC's but the variety of environments in Control was
something that I can't say I liked. I always bring up HL:1/2 at this
point at as I think that was so good at making the different levels
quite different so giving a nice refresh to the gameplay.

Re: Excellent Humble Heroines Bundle! Take a look!

<cjrr0i5asgdlpmj4mechi4r3bsj7srlsf5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11179&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11179

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:32:22 -0400
References: <tuaprt$12ji7$1@dont-email.me> <ac6i0idl9d2ihbektnasbcja1bj1h14lh6@4ax.com> <j7uj0i9vk41fqjfelhiibjl1536t3chgn5@4ax.com> <1ebk0it4f52firsqrju1baseqim64pcg0f@4ax.com> <062c3e17-539b-4b38-825c-9c54b9565cc5n@googlegroups.com> <tuetsf$1tggf$2@dont-email.me> <sm0cz5gtkzz.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi> <tuipdv$2m3ub$1@dont-email.me> <gj2q0i908mjsremsv3cg5n2jnlu9thd7le@4ax.com> <tukcep$31lgu$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:32 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:18:42 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>I've not got the DLC's but the variety of environments in Control was
>something that I can't say I liked. I always bring up HL:1/2 at this
>point at as I think that was so good at making the different levels
>quite different so giving a nice refresh to the gameplay.

You're not the only one. It's one of the major complaints about the
game. The brutalist architecture is eye-catching and stylistic, but
it's being asked to carry much of the game, and it just isn't up to
the task. Thematically, I get why the developers did this, but in
terms of enjoyable gameplay? It was a bad idea. It's like being asked
to play "Half Life 2" but never getting to leave the blue-steel
corridors of the Citadel (the big alien tower you visit at the end of
the game). People want more variety.

Which is, of course, the other problem with "Control"; not enough
variety. The weapons are all too similar, the enemies are all
near-identical, and you're repeating the same quests over and over
again. There are some neat side-missions but those are rare.

Which is why I can't imagine playing the game without the DLC. It
doesn't add /that/ much new content, but what it does add is just
enough to tip it over from dreary to enjoyable. Still, if they ever do
make a sequel to the game, they sure as hell need to let you go
outside. Preferably as some low-level schmoe investigator (rather than
the walking WMD that is the first game's protagonist) facing off
against all the creepy weirdness that was hinted at in the original.

Re: Excellent Humble Heroines Bundle! Take a look!

<tums2s$3mgdv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11186&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11186

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:57:48 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:57 UTC

On 12/03/2023 15:32, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 11:18:42 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>

>> I've not got the DLC's but the variety of environments in Control was
>> something that I can't say I liked. I always bring up HL:1/2 at this
>> point at as I think that was so good at making the different levels
>> quite different so giving a nice refresh to the gameplay.
>>

> You're not the only one. It's one of the major complaints about the
> game. The brutalist architecture is eye-catching and stylistic, but
> it's being asked to carry much of the game, and it just isn't up to
> the task. Thematically, I get why the developers did this, but in
> terms of enjoyable gameplay? It was a bad idea. It's like being asked
> to play "Half Life 2" but never getting to leave the blue-steel
> corridors of the Citadel (the big alien tower you visit at the end of
> the game). People want more variety.
>
> Which is, of course, the other problem with "Control"; not enough
> variety. The weapons are all too similar, the enemies are all
> near-identical, and you're repeating the same quests over and over
> again. There are some neat side-missions but those are rare.
>
> Which is why I can't imagine playing the game without the DLC. It
> doesn't add /that/ much new content, but what it does add is just
> enough to tip it over from dreary to enjoyable. Still, if they ever do
> make a sequel to the game, they sure as hell need to let you go
> outside. Preferably as some low-level schmoe investigator (rather than
> the walking WMD that is the first game's protagonist) facing off
> against all the creepy weirdness that was hinted at in the original.

Very much agree, a story can carry a game as can variety in
gameplay/environment or even just gameplay that is challenging.

If you have none of those present then I soon get bored.