You don't have to know how the computer works, just how to work the computer.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

SubjectAuthor
* NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!Justisaur
|`* Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!JAB
| `* Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!Dimensional Traveler
|  `- Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!JAB
`* Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!Xocyll
 `- Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!Dimensional Traveler

1
NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<akc11idr95j9ampcmqts557eovmcvdh7ul@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11197&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11197

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:25:20 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 18:25 UTC

a.k.a, gaming industry news round-up
a.k.a., just a ramble of some of the stories I found interesting.

So, let's start with Stadia. The news isn't surprising, but Stadia -
Google's game streaming service - is dead. Deader than dead, even.
After failing to pick up any market share, Google decided to
transition it to an API that could be used by other developers to
create their own cloud-based streaming services. And now they've
announced even this initiative is dead in the water. Because nobody -
not gamers, not publishers - wants to invest in a service that Google
is likely to kill on a whim. Which is what everybody warned Google
about three years ago. So rather than take this lesson to heart -
maybe make some guarantees to wary purchasers that the product will
remain viable five years down the road? - Google kills it on a whim.

The loss of Stadia isn't big news itself. Streaming games from the
cloud was never dependent on Google's involvement, and there are a
number of alternatives (Microsoft, Sony and GeForce being the primary
ones). But Stadia's closure only proves what people have been saying
about Google for a long time; that, despite making money hand over
fist, the company is too willing to abandon products that may - with
enough long-term investment - have a strong future at the first sign
of trouble. Corporations are becoming increasingly wary of depending
on Google for anything, which is a problem as Google Search - while
ubiquitous - becomes ever less useful, Gmail's importance diminish as
people rely less on Email, and YouTube faces off against ever-stronger
competition. Google remains strong at present but its inability to
meaningfully innovate puts the company's future in jeopardy. Stadia's
closure may either result in much-needed changes to the corporate
culture, or may be the first sign of its eventual demise (or, at
least, greatly reducing its significance in the industry).
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/stadias-pivot-to-a-cloud-service-has-also-been-shut-down/

Also, NFTs! Look ma, I'm burying the lede so people won't think I'm
fixated on this one topic! Facebook is pushing away from the damn
things, yay! They're 'winding down' support for 'digital collectibles'
in Facebook and Instagram. Plus, its crypto-wallet project 'Novi' has
been shuttered and its proposed crypto-coin isn't going anyway.
Details on the 'why' are scarce - especially after Zuckerberg made so
much noise about how important NFTs were going to be to his metaverse
- but I think it's safe to assume it's because it wasn't making money.
Which is a good sign; it means fewer people are getting caught up in
this nonsense. Crypto will never go away - because scams never really
die out - but hopefully it can be brought down to manageable levels
rather than being seen as the Next Big Thing that needs to be
incorporated into every piece of tech.
https://www.engadget.com/meta-is-killing-nft-support-on-facebook-and-instagram-225517412.html?src=rss

Finally, the Microsoft/Activision deal is still having a lot of
problems getting past the finish line. The EU seems to think that
having two giant gaming publishers merge might somehow be bad for the
industry as a whole, bandying words like 'monopoly' and 'unfair
competition' around. But I mean, we're talking about Microsoft and
Activision, two companies with sterling reputations... what could
possibly go wrong? Sony is the biggest objector, pointing out how
Microsoft basically nixed all Playstation ports of Bethesda games
after acquiring that company. Some people have pointed out that Sony
is being a bit hypocritical in its argument, since it isn't averse to
using exclusivity deals to bolster sales of its own game console...
but I think that only strengthens the EU's argument. Just because you
have one corporation acting unlawfully doesn't mean you need to make
it 'fair' for another corporation to do so too. But Microsoft isn't
taking this lying down, and has some major media campaigns in the UK
and Europe trying to convince people of the rightness of its cause.

Of course, as a PC gamer I can't help but smile, because these
'exclusivity' deals rarely affect me. Almost everything comes to PC
eventually, whether it's Playstation or XBox or mobile (and you can
scratch out that 'almost' if you figure in emulation and pirated
games. Nintendo might say you need to buy a Switch to play 'Breath of
the Wild' but with a little smarts and Internet savvy, a PC will do
you just fine too ;-) So this is really just about shareholders
wanting more control and more money, and since I generally think large
corporations have enough of both already, I'm fine with governments
stepping in and saying, 'No, you've got enough.'
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64086532d3bf7f557532cefc/2023-03-07_Microsoft-Activision_-_SIE_Observations_on_Remedies_Notice__Revised_NCV__redacted.pdf

Anyway, just a few thoughts on some of the industry news that caught
my eye. It's sad that these days I find their shenanigans more
interesting than their products. But triple-A published games are so
grindy, and so over-full with monetizations, or just are bland sequels
or remakes, that it's no wonder I focus more on the classics of
yesteryear than their newest releases. Maybe these corporations should
work on that rather than trying to buy their way to dominance.

Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<9da0d8cd-f68f-4658-8e69-0581886c6bd6n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11198&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11198

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 22:27 UTC

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 11:25:36 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Also, NFTs! Look ma, I'm burying the lede so people won't think I'm
> fixated on this one topic! Facebook is pushing away from the damn
> things, yay! They're 'winding down' support for 'digital collectibles'
> in Facebook and Instagram. Plus, its crypto-wallet project 'Novi' has
> been shuttered and its proposed crypto-coin isn't going anyway.
> Details on the 'why' are scarce - especially after Zuckerberg made so
> much noise about how important NFTs were going to be to his metaverse
> - but I think it's safe to assume it's because it wasn't making money.
> Which is a good sign; it means fewer people are getting caught up in
> this nonsense. Crypto will never go away - because scams never really
> die out - but hopefully it can be brought down to manageable levels
> rather than being seen as the Next Big Thing that needs to be
> incorporated into every piece of tech.
> https://www.engadget.com/meta-is-killing-nft-support-on-facebook-and-instagram-225517412.html?src=rss

Not to mention a lot of the banks that were dealing in crypto are being
shut down. I don't know how bad that's going to affect everything though,
and it's not necessarily because of crypto.

- Justisaur

Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<f3841i5j0gga3torq3td7mo6jkht0brsfq@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11200&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11200

From: Xoc...@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 15:52:03 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 19:52 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

<snip>
>Google remains strong at present but its inability to
>meaningfully innovate puts the company's future in jeopardy.

Other than their search engine which has always been compromised and
become more so as time went on, what innovation have they ever done
other than buy new upstart tech companies?

<snip>
>Crypto will never go away - because scams never really
>die out - but hopefully it can be brought down to manageable levels
>rather than being seen as the Next Big Thing that needs to be
>incorporated into every piece of tech.

The shutting down of two major banks heavily invested into crypto isn't
going to help mush either.

>Finally, the Microsoft/Activision deal is still having a lot of
>problems getting past the finish line. The EU seems to think that
>having two giant gaming publishers merge might somehow be bad for the
>industry as a whole, bandying words like 'monopoly' and 'unfair
>competition' around. But I mean, we're talking about Microsoft and
>Activision, two companies with sterling reputations... what could
>possibly go wrong? Sony is the biggest objector, pointing out how
>Microsoft basically nixed all Playstation ports of Bethesda games
>after acquiring that company. Some people have pointed out that Sony
>is being a bit hypocritical in its argument, since it isn't averse to
>using exclusivity deals to bolster sales of its own game console...
>but I think that only strengthens the EU's argument. Just because you
>have one corporation acting unlawfully doesn't mean you need to make
>it 'fair' for another corporation to do so too. But Microsoft isn't
>taking this lying down, and has some major media campaigns in the UK
>and Europe trying to convince people of the rightness of its cause.

Obviously they need to include Sony in the merger so that we can have
our very own Sauron in the game industry SonActroSoft.

>Anyway, just a few thoughts on some of the industry news that caught
>my eye. It's sad that these days I find their shenanigans more
>interesting than their products. But triple-A published games are so
>grindy, and so over-full with monetizations, or just are bland sequels
>or remakes, that it's no wonder I focus more on the classics of
>yesteryear than their newest releases. Maybe these corporations should
>work on that rather than trying to buy their way to dominance.

It's that Evil Empire mentality they all get once they reach a certain
level of Size/Dominance.

What is best, CEO?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the
lamentation of their shareholders"

Xocyll

Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<tutea1$12g22$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11201&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11201

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:45:38 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 21:45 UTC

On 3/15/2023 12:52 PM, Xocyll wrote:
> What is best, CEO?
>
> "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the
> lamentation of their shareholders"

Stealing this. :)

dirty old man.

Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<tuuup6$1cvsj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11204&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11204

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:32:50 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:32 UTC

On 14/03/2023 22:27, Justisaur wrote:
> Not to mention a lot of the banks that were dealing in crypto are being
> shut down. I don't know how bad that's going to affect everything though,
> and it's not necessarily because of crypto.

The only one to hit the news in the UK is SVB and it's interesting (well
to me anyway) as to the problems being a combination of the customer
profile (small tech companies), deregulation, inflation and long term
bonds. Once customers started withdrawing large amounts of cash it lead
to a cycle making another loss on the bonds and that worrying more
customers into removing their money.

Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<tuvf40$1ft6m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11211&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11211

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:11:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:11 UTC

On 3/16/2023 4:32 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 14/03/2023 22:27, Justisaur wrote:
>> Not to mention a lot of the banks that were dealing in crypto are being
>> shut down.  I don't know how bad that's going to affect everything
>> though,
>> and it's not necessarily because of crypto.
>
> The only one to hit the news in the UK is SVB and it's interesting (well
> to me anyway) as to the problems being a combination of the customer
> profile (small tech companies), deregulation, inflation and long term
> bonds. Once customers started withdrawing large amounts of cash it lead
> to a cycle making another loss on the bonds and that worrying more
> customers into removing their money.

That snowball effect as more and more customers try to withdraw their
deposits in a panic all at once is the common theme in pretty much all
bank collapses.

dirty old man.

Re: NFTs and Micro-Vision and Stadia, Oh my!

<tv4494$2eq4j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11223&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11223

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:37:17 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 18 Mar 2023 10:37 UTC

On 16/03/2023 16:11, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 3/16/2023 4:32 AM, JAB wrote:
>> On 14/03/2023 22:27, Justisaur wrote:
>>> Not to mention a lot of the banks that were dealing in crypto are being
>>> shut down.  I don't know how bad that's going to affect everything
>>> though,
>>> and it's not necessarily because of crypto.
>>
>> The only one to hit the news in the UK is SVB and it's interesting
>> (well to me anyway) as to the problems being a combination of the
>> customer profile (small tech companies), deregulation, inflation and
>> long term bonds. Once customers started withdrawing large amounts of
>> cash it lead to a cycle making another loss on the bonds and that
>> worrying more customers into removing their money.
>
> That snowball effect as more and more customers try to withdraw their
> deposits in a panic all at once is the common theme in pretty much all
> bank collapses.

Oh I agree but I did find it interesting how a certain set of
circumstances led to the snowball. Don't worry though as I'm sure some
media talking heads will pop up saying that it was caused by too much
regulation. When seems a fair point when you consider just how well
financial institutes have shown themselves to be when it comes to
self-regulation!