From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: System Shock remake has a release date
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 18:09:49 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 22:09 UTC

It's May 30th (of this year, which should be a given, except seeing
how long this game has been under development, I guess it's worth
being specific ;-)

I'm not sure I care, though. I mean... remakes, amirite? And while I
won't deny the original "System Shock" was a beloved game, I'm not
sure it's really due all the reverence showered upon it. It wasn't a
bad game... but I don't think it was an excellent one either. It
wasn't really all that revolutionary either, and it was fairly clunky
in design.

As much as I regard Looking Glass games, "System Shock" always seemed
one of their less exciting games. "Underworld" was more revolutionary
in design and technology; "Thief" was more novel in concept, "Flight
Unlimited" more visually impressive, "System Shock 2" more polished,
"Terra Nova" more fun. But what really di the original "System Shock"
bring to the table? Is it just that it's a cyberpunk game in an
industry where that genre has traditionally been underserved?

But we're getting the remake, and I guess some people will be happy
about it. It will probably make money simply from the nostalgia value;
I don't think that - barring its connection to the original - it would
sell very well otherwise. Its combat (based on the demo) is still
fairly clunky and the maps are still annoyingly maze-like. And despite
being an improvement over the original, the visuals aren't all that
impressive either. Despite the developers best efforts, the game still
looks and feels old. I didn't see the point of the "Dead Space" remake
either, but at least it played like a modern game.

Of course, I'll get the game regardless; I'm entirely the sort of
customer this game for whom this game was intended. I might not even
wait until it reaches super-duper-double-discount bargin-bin prices
and instead buy it when its only 50% off (that's extremely high praise
from somebody like me ;-). But I certainly won't pre-purchase the game
(what's the point?).

Sadly, no news on a "System Shock 2" remake (now THERE'S a game that
desperately needs a visual upgrade), and "System Shock 3" is dead in
the water. Either of those I'd get behind with more enthusiasm.

Re: System Shock remake has a release date

<umv41il6i2ks216c281p8eaacresi0e37h@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11203&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11203

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: System Shock remake has a release date
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 20:30:00 -0600
 by: PW - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 02:30 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 18:09:49 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>It's May 30th (of this year, which should be a given, except seeing
>how long this game has been under development, I guess it's worth
>being specific ;-)
>
>I'm not sure I care, though. I mean... remakes, amirite? And while I
>won't deny the original "System Shock" was a beloved game, I'm not
>sure it's really due all the reverence showered upon it. It wasn't a
>bad game... but I don't think it was an excellent one either. It
>wasn't really all that revolutionary either, and it was fairly clunky
>in design.
>
>As much as I regard Looking Glass games, "System Shock" always seemed
>one of their less exciting games. "Underworld" was more revolutionary
>in design and technology; "Thief" was more novel in concept, "Flight
>Unlimited" more visually impressive, "System Shock 2" more polished,
>"Terra Nova" more fun. But what really di the original "System Shock"
>bring to the table? Is it just that it's a cyberpunk game in an
>industry where that genre has traditionally been underserved?
>
>But we're getting the remake, and I guess some people will be happy
>about it. It will probably make money simply from the nostalgia value;
>I don't think that - barring its connection to the original - it would
>sell very well otherwise. Its combat (based on the demo) is still
>fairly clunky and the maps are still annoyingly maze-like. And despite
>being an improvement over the original, the visuals aren't all that
>impressive either. Despite the developers best efforts, the game still
>looks and feels old. I didn't see the point of the "Dead Space" remake
>either, but at least it played like a modern game.
>
>Of course, I'll get the game regardless; I'm entirely the sort of
>customer this game for whom this game was intended. I might not even
>wait until it reaches super-duper-double-discount bargin-bin prices
>and instead buy it when its only 50% off (that's extremely high praise
>from somebody like me ;-). But I certainly won't pre-purchase the game
>(what's the point?).
>
>Sadly, no news on a "System Shock 2" remake (now THERE'S a game that
>desperately needs a visual upgrade), and "System Shock 3" is dead in
>the water. Either of those I'd get behind with more enthusiasm.

*--

I am enjoying and am impressed so far with the Dead Space remake. Am
curious about how System Shock is going to turn out.

-pw

Re: System Shock remake has a release date

<tuuv2h$1cvsj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11205&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11205

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:37:49 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:37 UTC

On 15/03/2023 22:09, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Sadly, no news on a "System Shock 2" remake (now THERE'S a game that
> desperately needs a visual upgrade), and "System Shock 3" is dead in
> the water. Either of those I'd get behind with more enthusiasm.

SS:2 as a re-make I'd probably give a miss unless it was a Black Mesa
type of remake where you still keep the essence of the game but update
gameplay aspects knowing what worked and what didn't.

Re: System Shock remake has a release date

<6k361i9lcf5f3235s0vti3ul4crdmkqa6b@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11207&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11207

From: Xoc...@gmx.com (Xocyll)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 08:56:57 -0400
 by: Xocyll - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 12:56 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>It's May 30th (of this year, which should be a given, except seeing
>how long this game has been under development, I guess it's worth
>being specific ;-)
>
>I'm not sure I care, though. I mean... remakes, amirite? And while I
>won't deny the original "System Shock" was a beloved game, I'm not
>sure it's really due all the reverence showered upon it. It wasn't a
>bad game... but I don't think it was an excellent one either. It
>wasn't really all that revolutionary either, and it was fairly clunky
>in design.

Oh it was clunky for sure, but it pushed the boundaries of what was
possible in so many ways.

A shooter, with actual 3d environments, inventory controls, character
upgrades (cyber modules,) going into "cyberspace" to access certain
stuff, and so on.
Plus it had the greatest video game villain of all time: SHODAN

>As much as I regard Looking Glass games, "System Shock" always seemed
>one of their less exciting games. "Underworld" was more revolutionary
>in design and technology; "Thief" was more novel in concept, "Flight
>Unlimited" more visually impressive, "System Shock 2" more polished,
>"Terra Nova" more fun. But what really di the original "System Shock"
>bring to the table? Is it just that it's a cyberpunk game in an
>industry where that genre has traditionally been underserved?

Never played Terra Nova (or it was so unmemorable I forgot.)
And SS2 had that horrible wear rate and respawn at first until they told
us how to edit those down.

Bang, bang, break is not good for a gun wear rate, especially when the
whole level respawns in 5 minutes.
Still liked SS2 once that was corrected.

I think technically you'd have to classify System Shock as a
cyberpunk/survival horror fusion (with a dash of bond villain mocking
your progress)

Look at you hacker, a pathetic creature of meat and bone...

>But we're getting the remake, and I guess some people will be happy
>about it. It will probably make money simply from the nostalgia value;
>I don't think that - barring its connection to the original - it would
>sell very well otherwise. Its combat (based on the demo) is still
>fairly clunky and the maps are still annoyingly maze-like. And despite
>being an improvement over the original, the visuals aren't all that
>impressive either. Despite the developers best efforts, the game still
>looks and feels old. I didn't see the point of the "Dead Space" remake
>either, but at least it played like a modern game.

I guess it depends how old it looks.

A lot of the older games I loved are just unplayable now since the
graphics are so horribly bad and low resolution and my eyes are not what
they once were. In this regard a modern engine remake/reboot is just
what the doctor ordered, except when they do the tomb raider thing and
go full retard gimmicks/QTEs.

>Of course, I'll get the game regardless; I'm entirely the sort of
>customer this game for whom this game was intended. I might not even
>wait until it reaches super-duper-double-discount bargin-bin prices
>and instead buy it when its only 50% off (that's extremely high praise
>from somebody like me ;-). But I certainly won't pre-purchase the game
>(what's the point?).
>
>Sadly, no news on a "System Shock 2" remake (now THERE'S a game that
>desperately needs a visual upgrade), and "System Shock 3" is dead in
>the water. Either of those I'd get behind with more enthusiasm.

Maybe, if this remake is successful it will inspire those to be done
too.

Of course if a major studio did make SS3 it would probably be online
only (even as a single player game,) and have more microtransactions
than enemies. Hell they'd probably turn SHODAN into a shill.

SHILLDAN: Look at you hacker in that pathetic outfit, visit the
glamour-pod now to update your look. How can you hope to challenge a
perfect immortal machine looking like a vagabond?

Xocyll

Re: System Shock remake has a release date

<5o661itv9ob12stro8i41t32mrng31cuhu@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11208&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11208

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:41:06 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 13:41 UTC

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 18:09:49 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure I care, though. I mean... remakes, amirite? And while I
>won't deny the original "System Shock" was a beloved game, I'm not
>sure it's really due all the reverence showered upon it. It wasn't a
>bad game... but I don't think it was an excellent one either. It
>wasn't really all that revolutionary either, and it was fairly clunky
>in design.

I love remakes, bring them on.

As for System Shock, I generally agree with you. I liked it, but I
vastly preferred the sequel.

With that said, if the reviews are good, I will definitely be getting
this one.

Re: System Shock remake has a release date

<tuvd3n$1fj4c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11210&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11210

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:37:26 -0600
 by: rms - Thu, 16 Mar 2023 15:37 UTC

>I'm not sure I care, though. I mean... remakes, amirite?

I'm of the same opinion, but for different reasons: I backed this
project instantly on kickstarter 40-some-odd years ago, and with each delay
I've become more jaded about the eventual release. The original game
charmed me with its quirky difficult-to-learn control scheme, pixelated
graphics and lighting effects that left plenty room for the imagination, and
amazing soundtrack (who can forget the elevator music?). This new version
will be so massaged-by-committee and console-friendly as to blend without
remark into the stew that is a modern fps.

Well, that's my completely negative expectation, having carefully avoided
any demos and most of the media for it. I'll be happily surprised to be
proved wrong! Wouldn't mind replaying the original now, either (though with
the modern control scheme from the remaster): I'm hankering for the balm of
calming elevator music in the midst of the space horror.

rms