From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Ships That Fight Underground (formerly Descent: Underground) Update
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:29:58 -0600
 by: rms - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:29 UTC

Yes, kids: Remember when the Descent name was stolen from the original devs
by rogue Star Citizenites? No? Well, that project crashed & burned, but it
appears that after the dust has settled the core of the new game is still
there, and today the new owners Little Orbit gave a big update:
https://www.gamersfirst.com/stfu/news/2023/3/8/kickstarter-blog

Well, good for them. I'm delighted the Descent name is no longer associated
with this STFU title, and they're probably relieved as well. Nothing good
came of this whole fiasco, but at least all parties can move on and do their
own thing now.

rms

Re: Ships That Fight Underground (formerly Descent: Underground) Update

<bjhj1ip4dujig8krupch01tsdfam5gidan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11263&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11263

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:11:24 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:11 UTC

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:29:58 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>Yes, kids: Remember when the Descent name was stolen from the original devs
>by rogue Star Citizenites?
Yes. In fact, I even wrote several posts on the subject.

>No?

No, yes!

Although I don't recall "Star Citizen" having anything to do with it
(man, "Star Citizen", there's another project worthy repeated
discussion... in the same way I keep bringing up NFTs and for much the
same reason ;-). I'd read it was just Interplay* being Interplay.

>Well, that project crashed & burned, but it
>appears that after the dust has settled the core of the new game is still
>there, and today the new owners Little Orbit gave a big update:
>https://www.gamersfirst.com/stfu/news/2023/3/8/kickstarter-blog

>Well, good for them. I'm delighted the Descent name is no longer associated
>with this STFU title, and they're probably relieved as well. Nothing good
>came of this whole fiasco, but at least all parties can move on and do their
>own thing now.

Even though I have little interest in the game myself, I've been
supportive of the project, and am happy that it's currently still in
production. It will be an incredibly niche title - gamers as a whole
have repeatedly indicated that they've little interest in 6DOF games -
but it has a devoted cadre of fans.

Although - while I enjoyed the chuckle the abbreviation of the game's
title gave me - it doesn't inspire me with confidence that the game
will sell well outside that cadre. Perhaps another rebranding is in
order.

* although its not really the company founded by Brian Fargo, and
really just a holding company these days ekeing out the last dollars
worth of their increasingly aging IPs.

Re: Ships That Fight Underground (formerly Descent: Underground) Update

<phoj1i54t111qt5q60511s8q98j4uk3n7j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11266&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11266

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:59:19 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 16:59 UTC

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 11:11:24 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>It will be an incredibly niche title - gamers as a whole
>have repeatedly indicated that they've little interest in 6DOF games -
>but it has a devoted cadre of fans.

I resemble those fans. I'm doing Overload rn. A little sparse on the
graphics, but a very satisfying 6DOF shooter.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten