Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion. -- Mike Coleman

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

SubjectAuthor
* CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceThomas E.
+* Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceJohn
|`* Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceThomas E.
| `* Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceJohn
|  +- Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceThomas E.
|  `- Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceThomas E.
`* Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceSandman
 `- Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experienceThomas E.

1
CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<ca20aaec-28fb-4a6e-81e0-9b338d1aa262n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11268&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11268

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 14:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 21:10 UTC

In December I traded the 2019 Insight for a 2022 Accord Touring (Hybrid). I love this car. I loved the Insight too, but wanted something a bit bigger for transporting my growing RC model fleet to the local flying field.

Anyway, I digress. The Touring edition comes with total wireless CarPlay and charging, the Insight used an UBS connection + Bluetooth. The wireless connection is a huge improvement over USB/Bluetooth. But it's not been perfect either.

In 8 months and 12,000 miles I've seen very few audio glitches like the Insight's. The solution remains pause and resume the audio stream or switch channels. The insight was doing this every few hours.

More concerning is that in 2 months or so CarPlay simply refuses to connect the phone. I tried telling the car system to forget the connection and then a re-do. That does not work. Nor does a phone restart. The failure is Bluetooth. The car and the phone simply will not connect. The only solution I can find is reseting the car system to factory defaults. On an Accord forum other owners have reported the same solution. It appears to be a Honda issue.

Wireless charging has also caused issues. I had to install a 1/4" shim in the front of the charging bay to get the charger to work with my SE2. On 2 occasions I have had the phone overheat and shut off on longish trips. It never does that on my wireless charger at home. It gets warm, not hot to the touch. May have something to do with being in a bay that does not get good air circulation?

Anyway, I feel like CarPlay is much closer to being the reliable system it should be. Thought you fanbois would like to hear that.

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<pEOdnajvE8gLxpX-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11277&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11277

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 22:36:29 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nos...@nospam.com (John)
 by: John - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 05:36 UTC

On 8/25/2022 2:10 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> In December I traded the 2019 Insight for a 2022 Accord Touring (Hybrid). I love this car. I loved the Insight too, but wanted something a bit bigger for transporting my growing RC model fleet to the local flying field.
>
> Anyway, I digress. The Touring edition comes with total wireless CarPlay and charging, the Insight used an UBS connection + Bluetooth. The wireless connection is a huge improvement over USB/Bluetooth. But it's not been perfect either.
>
> In 8 months and 12,000 miles I've seen very few audio glitches like the Insight's. The solution remains pause and resume the audio stream or switch channels. The insight was doing this every few hours.
>
> More concerning is that in 2 months or so CarPlay simply refuses to connect the phone. I tried telling the car system to forget the connection and then a re-do. That does not work. Nor does a phone restart. The failure is Bluetooth. The car and the phone simply will not connect. The only solution I can find is reseting the car system to factory defaults. On an Accord forum other owners have reported the same solution. It appears to be a Honda issue.
>
> Wireless charging has also caused issues. I had to install a 1/4" shim in the front of the charging bay to get the charger to work with my SE2. On 2 occasions I have had the phone overheat and shut off on longish trips. It never does that on my wireless charger at home. It gets warm, not hot to the touch. May have something to do with being in a bay that does not get good air circulation?
>
> Anyway, I feel like CarPlay is much closer to being the reliable system it should be. Thought you fanbois would like to hear that.

No problems with Carplay on this end. However as you say wireless
charging just does not work right anymore with the stupid Magsafe design
on newer iPhones. My 2019 Camry wireless charger used to work great
prior to that. Cannot get it to work now. In engineering we use the
term AFU to describe such behavior.

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<5151d6bd-949e-47e2-8aa8-8ff3589dabcdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11450&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11450

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 13:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:58 UTC

On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 1:36:34 AM UTC-4, John wrote:
> On 8/25/2022 2:10 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> > In December I traded the 2019 Insight for a 2022 Accord Touring (Hybrid). I love this car. I loved the Insight too, but wanted something a bit bigger for transporting my growing RC model fleet to the local flying field.
> >
> > Anyway, I digress. The Touring edition comes with total wireless CarPlay and charging, the Insight used an UBS connection + Bluetooth. The wireless connection is a huge improvement over USB/Bluetooth. But it's not been perfect either.
> >
> > In 8 months and 12,000 miles I've seen very few audio glitches like the Insight's. The solution remains pause and resume the audio stream or switch channels. The insight was doing this every few hours.
> >
> > More concerning is that in 2 months or so CarPlay simply refuses to connect the phone. I tried telling the car system to forget the connection and then a re-do. That does not work. Nor does a phone restart. The failure is Bluetooth. The car and the phone simply will not connect. The only solution I can find is reseting the car system to factory defaults. On an Accord forum other owners have reported the same solution. It appears to be a Honda issue.
> >
> > Wireless charging has also caused issues. I had to install a 1/4" shim in the front of the charging bay to get the charger to work with my SE2. On 2 occasions I have had the phone overheat and shut off on longish trips. It never does that on my wireless charger at home. It gets warm, not hot to the touch. May have something to do with being in a bay that does not get good air circulation?
> >
> > Anyway, I feel like CarPlay is much closer to being the reliable system it should be. Thought you fanbois would like to hear that.
> No problems with Carplay on this end. However as you say wireless
> charging just does not work right anymore with the stupid Magsafe design
> on newer iPhones. My 2019 Camry wireless charger used to work great
> prior to that. Cannot get it to work now. In engineering we use the
> term AFU to describe such behavior.

What do you mean by "newer"? My 2.5 year old SE 2 charges but produces enough heat to overtempt every so often. What is surprising is just how small the area is on the phone/charger interface that actually transfers the energy to charge the phone battery.

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<CLmcnUblivCI-o7-nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11451&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11451

Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 07:39:16 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nos...@nospam.com (John)
 by: John - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:39 UTC

On 9/2/2022 1:58 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
> On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 1:36:34 AM UTC-4, John wrote:
>> On 8/25/2022 2:10 PM, Thomas E. wrote:
>>> In December I traded the 2019 Insight for a 2022 Accord Touring (Hybrid). I love this car. I loved the Insight too, but wanted something a bit bigger for transporting my growing RC model fleet to the local flying field.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I digress. The Touring edition comes with total wireless CarPlay and charging, the Insight used an UBS connection + Bluetooth. The wireless connection is a huge improvement over USB/Bluetooth. But it's not been perfect either.
>>>
>>> In 8 months and 12,000 miles I've seen very few audio glitches like the Insight's. The solution remains pause and resume the audio stream or switch channels. The insight was doing this every few hours.
>>>
>>> More concerning is that in 2 months or so CarPlay simply refuses to connect the phone. I tried telling the car system to forget the connection and then a re-do. That does not work. Nor does a phone restart. The failure is Bluetooth. The car and the phone simply will not connect. The only solution I can find is reseting the car system to factory defaults. On an Accord forum other owners have reported the same solution. It appears to be a Honda issue.
>>>
>>> Wireless charging has also caused issues. I had to install a 1/4" shim in the front of the charging bay to get the charger to work with my SE2. On 2 occasions I have had the phone overheat and shut off on longish trips. It never does that on my wireless charger at home. It gets warm, not hot to the touch. May have something to do with being in a bay that does not get good air circulation?
>>>
>>> Anyway, I feel like CarPlay is much closer to being the reliable system it should be. Thought you fanbois would like to hear that.
>> No problems with Carplay on this end. However as you say wireless
>> charging just does not work right anymore with the stupid Magsafe design
>> on newer iPhones. My 2019 Camry wireless charger used to work great
>> prior to that. Cannot get it to work now. In engineering we use the
>> term AFU to describe such behavior.
>
> What do you mean by "newer"? My 2.5 year old SE 2 charges but produces enough heat to overtempt every so often. What is surprising is just how small the area is on the phone/charger interface that actually transfers the energy to charge the phone battery.

By newer I mean any iPhone using Magsafe technology. It messes older
car chargers up.

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<32a8d6b4-ed92-4460-938f-d812945ecd79n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11452&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11452

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 14:33:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 21:33 UTC

On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 10:39:22 AM UTC-4, John wrote:
> On 9/2/2022 1:58 PM, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> No problems with Carplay on this end. However as you say wireless
> >> charging just does not work right anymore with the stupid Magsafe design
> >> on newer iPhones. My 2019 Camry wireless charger used to work great
> >> prior to that. Cannot get it to work now. In engineering we use the
> >> term AFU to describe such behavior.
> >
> > What do you mean by "newer"? My 2.5 year old SE 2 charges but produces enough heat to overtempt every so often. What is surprising is just how small the area is on the phone/charger interface that actually transfers the energy to charge the phone battery.
> By newer I mean any iPhone using Magsafe technology. It messes older
> car chargers up.

OK, but my car is a 2022. Works fine.

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<sandman-4d47c1795ed609a040805ad9e0954ee3@individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11498&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11498

From: mr...@sandman.net (Sandman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 10 Sep 2022 07:12:10 GMT
 by: Sandman - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 07:12 UTC

In article <ca20aaec-28fb-4a6e-81e0-9b338d1aa262n@googlegroups.com>, Thomas E.
wrote:

> In December I traded the 2019 Insight for a 2022 Accord Touring

> (Hybrid). I love this car. I loved the Insight too, but wanted

> something a bit bigger for transporting my growing RC model fleet to

> the local flying field.

> Anyway, I digress. The Touring edition comes with total wireless

> CarPlay and charging, the Insight used an UBS connection +

> Bluetooth. The wireless connection is a huge improvement over

> USB/Bluetooth. But it's not been perfect either.

> In 8 months and 12,000 miles I've seen very few audio glitches like

> the Insight's. The solution remains pause and resume the audio

> stream or switch channels. The insight was doing this every few

> hours.

> More concerning is that in 2 months or so CarPlay simply refuses to

> connect the phone. I tried telling the car system to forget the

> connection and then a re-do. That does not work. Nor does a phone

> restart. The failure is Bluetooth. The car and the phone simply will

> not connect. The only solution I can find is reseting the car system

> to factory defaults. On an Accord forum other owners have reported

> the same solution. It appears to be a Honda issue.

> Wireless charging has also caused issues. I had to install a 1/4"

> shim in the front of the charging bay to get the charger to work

> with my SE2. On 2 occasions I have had the phone overheat and shut

> off on longish trips. It never does that on my wireless charger at

> home. It gets warm, not hot to the touch. May have something to do

> with being in a bay that does not get good air circulation?

> Anyway, I feel like CarPlay is much closer to being the reliable

> system it should be. Thought you fanbois would like to hear that.

Had my Ford Mustang Mach-E GT since February, wireless Carplay connects each and
every single time within about five seconds when I turn on the vehicle. Once or
twice there has been a bug in the infotainment system that has also affected
Carplay, like the volume knob not working.

Plus, the QI charging pad fits my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the millimeter when I have
a leather case on. Always works, obviously no overheating.

--
Sandman

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<42b686da-8cd4-403b-818c-22afda915010n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11506&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11506

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 05:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:43 UTC

On Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 3:12:14 AM UTC-4, Sandman wrote:
> In article <ca20aaec-28fb-4a6e...@googlegroups.com>, Thomas E.
> wrote:
> > In December I traded the 2019 Insight for a 2022 Accord Touring
>
> > (Hybrid). I love this car. I loved the Insight too, but wanted
>
> > something a bit bigger for transporting my growing RC model fleet to
>
> > the local flying field.
>

> > Anyway, I digress. The Touring edition comes with total wireless
>
> > CarPlay and charging, the Insight used an UBS connection +
>
> > Bluetooth. The wireless connection is a huge improvement over
>
> > USB/Bluetooth. But it's not been perfect either.
>

> > In 8 months and 12,000 miles I've seen very few audio glitches like
>
> > the Insight's. The solution remains pause and resume the audio
>
> > stream or switch channels. The insight was doing this every few
>
> > hours.
>

> > More concerning is that in 2 months or so CarPlay simply refuses to
>
> > connect the phone. I tried telling the car system to forget the
>
> > connection and then a re-do. That does not work. Nor does a phone
>
> > restart. The failure is Bluetooth. The car and the phone simply will
>
> > not connect. The only solution I can find is reseting the car system
>
> > to factory defaults. On an Accord forum other owners have reported
>
> > the same solution. It appears to be a Honda issue.
>

> > Wireless charging has also caused issues. I had to install a 1/4"
>
> > shim in the front of the charging bay to get the charger to work
>
> > with my SE2. On 2 occasions I have had the phone overheat and shut
>
> > off on longish trips. It never does that on my wireless charger at
>
> > home. It gets warm, not hot to the touch. May have something to do
>
> > with being in a bay that does not get good air circulation?
>

> > Anyway, I feel like CarPlay is much closer to being the reliable
>
> > system it should be. Thought you fanbois would like to hear that.
> Had my Ford Mustang Mach-E GT since February, wireless Carplay connects each and
> every single time within about five seconds when I turn on the vehicle. Once or
> twice there has been a bug in the infotainment system that has also affected
> Carplay, like the volume knob not working.
>

> Plus, the QI charging pad fits my iPhone 13 Pro Max to the millimeter when I have
> a leather case on. Always works, obviously no overheating.
>
> --
> Sandman

Different vehicle, different phone, different experience. Big whoop!

Most of the time my experience is the same. The SE2 seems to be sensitive to placement on wireless chargers. It also gets very warm sitting on the home charger. The 13 is a larger phone so it would probably not need a shim in my car.

Re: CarPlay update - the 2022 Accord Touring experience

<2e4d3c1c-2345-43d2-b249-9676a1802990n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11554&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11554

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:47:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 19:47 UTC

On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 10:39:22 AM UTC-4, John wrote:
> On 9/2/2022 1:58 PM, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> No problems with Carplay on this end. However as you say wireless
> >> charging just does not work right anymore with the stupid Magsafe design
> >> on newer iPhones. My 2019 Camry wireless charger used to work great
> >> prior to that. Cannot get it to work now. In engineering we use the
> >> term AFU to describe such behavior.
> >
> > What do you mean by "newer"? My 2.5 year old SE 2 charges but produces enough heat to overtempt every so often. What is surprising is just how small the area is on the phone/charger interface that actually transfers the energy to charge the phone battery.
> By newer I mean any iPhone using Magsafe technology. It messes older
> car chargers up.

So I bought a Magsafe charger for the car. It always works and charges faster.