Time-sharing is the junk-mail part of the computer business. -- H. R. J. Grosch (attributed)

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

SubjectAuthor
* What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartAndy Burnelli
+* Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern snospam
|`* Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern sAndy Burnelli
| `- Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern sJohn
+* Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled comparedAlan
|`- Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern sYour Name
`- Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled comparedThomas E.

1
What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<tehadc$p9o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11314&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11314

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 04:05:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 03:05 UTC

This conversation requires adult cognitive skills to comprehend the topic.

I realize iKooks _hate_ how horribly crippled the iPhone is; but it is.
Fundamentally, the iPhone will always be crippled but the question is why.

1. Apple hardware is no better (or worse) than anyone elses' hardware
2. But... Apple hardware is always completely missing in some functionality
3. So Apple _hardware_ will always be crippled compared to modern devices

Common examples include sd slots, common aux port, substandard cheap
batteries and battery components and cheap boards, lack of standard USB
ports, missing 3.5mm ports, missing FM radios, missing chargers, etc.

While those facts prove Apple iPhones are crippled in terms of hardware,
the real crippling effect on Apple devices is the restrictions by Apple.

The fact is the MARKET determines the functionality on a modern device, and
not the maker of that device. *This is key to why iPhones are crippled.*

It's a fact the iPhone can't do the simplest of things, such as spoof the
GPS location, or debug wifi signal strength properly, or even auto record
phone calls, or even set up the homescreen the way you want it to be.

Nobody sane could possibly dispute the iPhone is crippled if they know
facts about it such that you can't even change the name of an installed app
icon for heaven's sake (no other operating system is _that_ crippled!) and
if they know the myriad ways the iPhone can't do the simplest of the most
basic things that _every_ other modern OS does (like set all app defaults).

Nobody sensible would ever doubt how crippled the iPhone is when it can't
even download an app that Apple doesn't want you to have, whereas again, as
always _every_ other modern operating system allows that.

Take, for example, Google hating system-wide firewalls with ad blocking,
such that the NetGuard on the Google Play Store is crippled compared to the
one you can get on GitHub - which is the same app with _all_ the
functionality.

Notice what's important for adults to recognize is this simple fact:
*Apple restricts what apps you can install... while google can't*

I realize the iKooks _hate_ every fact about Apple products but it's just a
fact you can't get the functionality of something as simple as NewPipe on
either the Apple or Google app stores, and yet, for Android, you just
download the app from the newpipe web site (or F-Droid) and you've got it.

Notice the iKooks _hate_ how horribly crippled the iPhone is but it is.
*Apple limits the hardware & software functionality; Google can't*

That's the single most obvious reason why the iPhone is always crippled
compared to _every_ other modern common consumer computing platform.

Do you agree?
If not, what facts can you show that back up your viewpoint.

Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<290820220646115762%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11320&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11320

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:46:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:46 UTC

In article <tehadc$p9o$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> This conversation requires adult cognitive skills to comprehend the topic.

then you'll need to sit this one out.

Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<teihf8$8s6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11323&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11323

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:12:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:12 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> This conversation requires adult cognitive skills to comprehend the topic.
>
> then you'll need to sit this one out.

Notice you iKooks hate the facts so much you have no _adult_ response.
*The question is a valid question of _why_ the iPhone is always crippled*

FACTS:

The 1st fact is a valid fact that Apple _restricts_ what the MARKET can
provide to the consumer - so that the consumer has to rely on Apple alone.
a. Apple restricts the hardware
b. Apple restricts the apps

The 2nd fact is a valid fact that Google can't.
a. Google _can't_ restrict the hardware
b. Google _can't_ restrict what apps exist

I realize these are _adult_ concepts, nospam, which you can't comprehend.
But your childish response to those facts indicates you _did_ comprehend.

Adults first agree on the facts before proceeding to the assessments.

ASSESSMENT:
a. iPhone functionality will _always_ be crippled compared to Android
b. Simply because... Apple _restricts_ what the MARKET can provide

--
My goal on the Apple newsgroups is to present the facts about Apple.

Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<teiquh$16cja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11330&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11330

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared
to modern smartphones?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:53:36 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:53 UTC

On 2022-08-28 20:05, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> This conversation requires adult cognitive skills to comprehend the topic.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

<snips>

Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<tejcba$bu0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11347&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11347

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 09:50:35 +1200
 by: Your Name - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:50 UTC

On 2022-08-29 16:53:36 +0000, Alan said:
> On 2022-08-28 20:05, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> This conversation requires adult cognitive skills to comprehend the topic.
>
> Assumes facts not in evidence.
>
> <snips>

You can't have evidence when it doesn't even exist in the case of "Andy
Burnelli" (or whatever other idiot posting name the moron is using this
week).

Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<58ff568a-c54d-4f1b-8259-1e833aca926en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11357&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11357

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 04:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
to modern smartphones?
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:24 UTC

On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 11:05:23 PM UTC-4, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> [...]
> fact you can't get the functionality of something as simple as NewPipe on
> either the Apple or Google app stores, and yet, for Android, you just
> download the app from the newpipe web site (or F-Droid) and you've got it.
>
> Notice the iKooks _hate_ how horribly crippled the iPhone is but it is.
> *Apple limits the hardware & software functionality; Google can't*
>
> That's the single most obvious reason why the iPhone is always crippled
> compared to _every_ other modern common consumer computing platform.
>
> Do you agree?
> If not, what facts can you show that back up your viewpoint.

"Nobody sane could possibly dispute the iPhone is crippled if they know
facts about it such that you can't even change the name of an installed app
icon for heaven's sake (no other operating system is _that_ crippled!)"

Please supply instructions for changing the MS Word icon in Windows 11.

Re: What are the main reasons why the iPhone is so crippled compared to modern smartphones?

<axicnfhYmMis5JL-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11390&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11390

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 08:07:29 -0700
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nos...@nospam.com (John)
 by: John - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 15:07 UTC

On 8/29/2022 7:12 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> This conversation requires adult cognitive skills to comprehend the
>>> topic.
>>
>> then you'll need to sit this one out.
>
> Notice you iKooks hate the facts so much you have no _adult_ response.
> *The question is a valid question of _why_ the iPhone is always crippled*
>
> FACTS:
>
> The 1st fact is a valid fact that Apple _restricts_ what the MARKET can
> provide to the consumer - so that the consumer has to rely on Apple alone.
> a. Apple restricts the hardware
> b. Apple restricts the apps
>
> The 2nd fact is a valid fact that Google can't.
> a. Google _can't_ restrict the hardware
> b. Google _can't_ restrict what apps exist
>
> I realize these are _adult_ concepts, nospam, which you can't comprehend.
> But your childish response to those facts indicates you _did_ comprehend.
>
> Adults first agree on the facts before proceeding to the assessments.
>
> ASSESSMENT:
> a. iPhone functionality will _always_ be crippled compared to Android
> b. Simply because... Apple _restricts_ what the MARKET can provide
>
> Do you agree?
> If not, what facts can you show that back up your viewpoint.

You have to be a total idiot to believe iPhones are crippled.
Intelligent people realize the iPhone is the best and most
technologically advanced phone on the market by far. It's not even close.