A fail-safe circuit will destroy others. -- Klipstein

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

SubjectAuthor
* A fun question posed to OpenAIDMP
+* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAISpalls Hurgenson
|+* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
||+* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJustisaur
|||`* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJAB
||| `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAISpalls Hurgenson
|||  +* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
|||  |+* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJustisaur
|||  ||`- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
|||  |`- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIAnssi Saari
|||  +- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJAB
|||  `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
|||   +- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIWerner P.
|||   `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIAnssi Saari
|||    +- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
|||    `- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIRoss Ridge
||`- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIWerner P.
|`- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIRin Stowleigh
+- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
+* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
|`* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIMike S.
| `- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJustisaur
`* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJAB
 +- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIMike S.
 +- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAISpalls Hurgenson
 `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIWerner P.
  `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIMike S.
   `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAISpalls Hurgenson
    `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIMike S.
     `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAISpalls Hurgenson
      +* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIZaghadka
      |`- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIJAB
      `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIMike S.
       `* Re: A fun question posed to OpenAISpalls Hurgenson
        `- Re: A fun question posed to OpenAIMike S.

Pages:12
Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<s4gm1i5eppkv036sqbnheae87ep6baiio8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11298&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11298

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:59:08 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 17:59 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 14:52:44 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Chrono Trigger is the Ultima 7 of the JRPG crowd, it stands out being a
>JRPG but it is highly regarded as one of the best if not the best JRGPs
>(which I personally doubt, there is a ton of nostalgia into that, the
>same goes for Ultima 7 while it was a huge milestone did not age that
>well due to its broken combat system)

Ok, I have not played Ultima 7 in at least 2 1/2 decades by this point
admittedly, but I doubt the game aged poorly due to its combat. The
combat was always bad. It sucked from day one. It did not stop the
game from being really good. If the game has aged poorly, I would
think it would be for other reasons.

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<vono1ilsi2velrog5clv0u8aloa4megq3h@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11318&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11318

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:23:06 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:23 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:59:08 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 14:52:44 +0100, "Werner P." <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
>
>>Chrono Trigger is the Ultima 7 of the JRPG crowd, it stands out being a
>>JRPG but it is highly regarded as one of the best if not the best JRGPs
>>(which I personally doubt, there is a ton of nostalgia into that, the
>>same goes for Ultima 7 while it was a huge milestone did not age that
>>well due to its broken combat system)
>
>Ok, I have not played Ultima 7 in at least 2 1/2 decades by this point
>admittedly, but I doubt the game aged poorly due to its combat. The
>combat was always bad. It sucked from day one. It did not stop the
>game from being really good. If the game has aged poorly, I would
>think it would be for other reasons.

The game is still good. But if there's one thing keeping me from
playing it today?

It's the god damn choice of font used in all the text. It has an
excess of seriffs that - combined with the default 320x200 resolution
- makes it incredibly hard to read over the long run.

Fortunately, various hacks - such as Exult - allow you to change the
font to something more readable. But if they didn't exist? I don't
think I could play the game anymore.

Anyway, I never minded the combat system, but that's largely because I
always found combat in CRPGs the least interesting part anyway. Being
able to push a button to make monsters die without any effort on my
part was always one of the strengths of the game. That way I could
focus more on the characters, the story, and exploring the setting.
You know; the good stuff! ;-)

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<i35p1i91065mbmbr763l81pgofgh8vbaen@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11325&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11325

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:08:49 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 18:08 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 10:23:06 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Anyway, I never minded the combat system, but that's largely because I
>always found combat in CRPGs the least interesting part anyway. Being
>able to push a button to make monsters die without any effort on my
>part was always one of the strengths of the game. That way I could
>focus more on the characters, the story, and exploring the setting.
>You know; the good stuff! ;-)

The combat is the good stuff! (to me) :-P

But seriously, I have never cared about combat in any of the main line
Ultima games. Combat was either boring or broken. I had more fun (at
least starting in Ultima IV) going around and talking to everyone and
figuring out the keywords needed to advance the game and plot.

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<tvid3k$19tcv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11327&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11327

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:33:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:33 UTC

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> wrote:
>Hardly roleplaying that everyone in the Legion magically knew I did that
>with no one left alive. But it was the same thing in FO4. I remember
>wiping out the Railroad leaders. To make it easier, I started with the
>heavy and murdered her in her sleep since I had that ability (Mister
>Sandman). No witnesses but suddenly they all hated me because they
>magically sensed a change in alignment or whatever.

It's the same thing in all the Fallout games. Kill one little child in
Fallout 1 or 2 you're labeled a child murderer and everyone hates you,
no matter if anyone saw you do it. (Actually you had to kill two or
three children before people actully started hating you, but you got the
label on the first child murder.) Personally I've never had a problem
with it. Realistically killing every soldier in a camp is not something
you can keep secret. If you're a stranger in town and seen walking out
of an alley where a child's body is later found, don't expect anyone to
believe you had nothing to do with it.

Thse games aren't supposed to be murder simulators, like say the Hitman
games, so I don't expect to be able to plan and execute the perfect
murder in them. They represent reputation with crude point systems that
don't even come close how a person's reputation works in the real world.
No amount of goods deeds would rehabilitate the reputation of a serial
killer, for example. You can call it "magic" that people automatically
know what you do, but by that standard the whole reputation system in
games like these is magic.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<ftdr1itbh59ikr32o563tlpletif64b5tp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11351&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11351

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:49:30 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:49 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:08:49 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>But seriously, I have never cared about combat in any of the main line
>Ultima games. Combat was either boring or broken. I had more fun (at
>least starting in Ultima IV) going around and talking to everyone and
>figuring out the keywords needed to advance the game and plot.

Name! Job! Mantra? Bye!

The Avatar is truly the greatest orator in Britainian history. It's
great dialogue like that which made the Ultima series so memorable.
It's a wonder the inhabitants of Britannia didn't just ignore the
monosyllabic idiot.

Then again, if some over-roided (Strength 30) schmuck carrying 100
stone of weapons and armor asked me who I was and what my profession
was, I'd probably answer him politely too. ;-)

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<v2jr1ilden1fkamnqjc900196rpgis28ru@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11360&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11360

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 11:14:47 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:14 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:49:30 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:08:49 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
>wrote:
>

>>But seriously, I have never cared about combat in any of the main line
>>Ultima games. Combat was either boring or broken. I had more fun (at
>>least starting in Ultima IV) going around and talking to everyone and
>>figuring out the keywords needed to advance the game and plot.
>
>Name! Job! Mantra? Bye!
>
>The Avatar is truly the greatest orator in Britainian history. It's
>great dialogue like that which made the Ultima series so memorable.
>It's a wonder the inhabitants of Britannia didn't just ignore the
>monosyllabic idiot.
>
>Then again, if some over-roided (Strength 30) schmuck carrying 100
>stone of weapons and armor asked me who I was and what my profession
>was, I'd probably answer him politely too. ;-)

Hey, at least it wasn't Oblivion's dialogue system?

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<nunr1i1mtv01jtccud83tdcbm0rmnhm27l@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11361&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11361

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:38:18 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:38 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:49:30 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Name! Job! Mantra? Bye!
>
>The Avatar is truly the greatest orator in Britainian history. It's
>great dialogue like that which made the Ultima series so memorable.
>It's a wonder the inhabitants of Britannia didn't just ignore the
>monosyllabic idiot.

LOL Spalls. :)

Don't forget Health! They respond to that as well.

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<tvmlm2$25jl1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11364&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11364

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:24:49 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:24 UTC

On 24/03/2023 16:14, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:49:30 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 14:08:49 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> But seriously, I have never cared about combat in any of the main line
>>> Ultima games. Combat was either boring or broken. I had more fun (at
>>> least starting in Ultima IV) going around and talking to everyone and
>>> figuring out the keywords needed to advance the game and plot.
>>
>> Name! Job! Mantra? Bye!
>>
>> The Avatar is truly the greatest orator in Britainian history. It's
>> great dialogue like that which made the Ultima series so memorable.
>> It's a wonder the inhabitants of Britannia didn't just ignore the
>> monosyllabic idiot.
>>
>> Then again, if some over-roided (Strength 30) schmuck carrying 100
>> stone of weapons and armor asked me who I was and what my profession
>> was, I'd probably answer him politely too. ;-)
>>
> Hey, at least it wasn't Oblivion's dialogue system?

The two parts that annoyed me most about Oblivion where the main plot
line seeming to be just go to this gate (which looks much like the last
one), kill things and shut it down. The second, the amount of cookie
cutter dungeons as opposed to what I think of as real content.

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<sr4u1ihna5pu4ath1tf3v5rb2feilf1c16@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11366&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11366

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:34:52 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:34 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:38:18 -0400, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:49:30 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Name! Job! Mantra? Bye!
>>
>>The Avatar is truly the greatest orator in Britainian history. It's
>>great dialogue like that which made the Ultima series so memorable.
>>It's a wonder the inhabitants of Britannia didn't just ignore the
>>monosyllabic idiot.
>
>LOL Spalls. :)
>
>Don't forget Health! They respond to that as well.

Technically, they respond to HEAL. The Ultima text parser only
recognized the first four letters of the word.
(so, yes, NAME, JOB, MANT, BYE ;-)

Although I never used HEAL except when bugging lazy ol' Lord British
to - if it wouldn't inconvenience him any - mend all the wounds I took
questing in his service.

Re: A fun question posed to OpenAI

<bidu1ipqi2eocoeq4sppt24tciaij3mhh0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11368&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11368

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 13:59:17 -0400
 by: Mike S. - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 17:59 UTC

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:34:52 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Technically, they respond to HEAL. The Ultima text parser only
>recognized the first four letters of the word.
>(so, yes, NAME, JOB, MANT, BYE ;-)

Good catch! I forgot about that.