A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. -- P. Erdos

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Eve Online the NFT version

SubjectAuthor
* Eve Online the NFT versionJAB
`* Re: Eve Online the NFT versionSpalls Hurgenson
 +- Re: Eve Online the NFT versionZaghadka
 `* Re: Eve Online the NFT versionJAB
  `* Re: Eve Online the NFT versionJustisaur
   +* Re: Eve Online the NFT versionSpalls Hurgenson
   |+- Re: Eve Online the NFT versionJustisaur
   |`- Re: Eve Online the NFT versionRoss Ridge
   `- Re: Eve Online the NFT versionJAB

1
Eve Online the NFT version

<tvhgau$14u96$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11316&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11316

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Eve Online the NFT version
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:22:53 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:22 UTC

I realise that dev studios have to raise cash from somewhere but NFT's,
really. I particularly liked this quote.

"Now, with advancements made within blockchain, we can forge a new
universe deeply imbued with our expertise in player agency and autonomy,
empowering players to engage in new ways."

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/eve-onlines-developers-are-making-a-blockchain-game-in-the-eve-universe

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<tlqo1it1bj5amsktj26o35qs2eae25tjqk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11321&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11321

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Eve Online the NFT version
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:07:45 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:07 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:22:53 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>I realise that dev studios have to raise cash from somewhere but NFT's,
>really. I particularly liked this quote.
>
>"Now, with advancements made within blockchain, we can forge a new
>universe deeply imbued with our expertise in player agency and autonomy,
>empowering players to engage in new ways."
>
>https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/eve-onlines-developers-are-making-a-blockchain-game-in-the-eve-universe

At this point, you have to wonder... why?

Do they really think that THIS block-chain game will be any more
successful than the rest of the failures?

Or do they just hope to swoop in, scam the stupid who still believe in
crypto out of a few hundred billion, and then walk away. Do they
consider it akin to mining a cesspit for lost diamonds?

Sadly, I fear it's the latter.

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<gspp1ipvkb3rv0ihf0fd3m9ah9f7p69j9o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11332&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11332

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 19:05:15 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 00:05 UTC

On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 11:07:45 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:22:53 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>>I realise that dev studios have to raise cash from somewhere but NFT's,
>>really. I particularly liked this quote.
>>
>>"Now, with advancements made within blockchain, we can forge a new
>>universe deeply imbued with our expertise in player agency and autonomy,
>>empowering players to engage in new ways."
>>
>>https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/eve-onlines-developers-are-making-a-blockchain-game-in-the-eve-universe
>
>At this point, you have to wonder... why?
>
>Do they really think that THIS block-chain game will be any more
>successful than the rest of the failures?

And that people will pay their electricity bill (or others') for the
poorly scalable, shocking amount of processor power required to drive
such an economy as it expands?

https://support.metamask.io/hc/en-us/articles/360058751211-Why-are-my-gas-fees-so-high-

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<tvjt9d$1k3ev$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11344&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11344

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:16:12 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:16 UTC

On 23/03/2023 15:07, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:22:53 +0000, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:
>
>> I realise that dev studios have to raise cash from somewhere but NFT's,
>> really. I particularly liked this quote.
>>
>> "Now, with advancements made within blockchain, we can forge a new
>> universe deeply imbued with our expertise in player agency and autonomy,
>> empowering players to engage in new ways."
>>
>> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/eve-onlines-developers-are-making-a-blockchain-game-in-the-eve-universe
>
> At this point, you have to wonder... why?
>
> Do they really think that THIS block-chain game will be any more
> successful than the rest of the failures?
>
> Or do they just hope to swoop in, scam the stupid who still believe in
> crypto out of a few hundred billion, and then walk away. Do they
> consider it akin to mining a cesspit for lost diamonds?
>
> Sadly, I fear it's the latter.

Tricky to know although the large chunk of change that was invested with
them may have clouded their judgement.

If I had to guess I'd also go with the latter as I find it hard to
believe that any game dev's (even if they are cryptobros) really think a
NFT game can be a success, at least in the sense of a game, given the
push back given by gamers. It's a good way to ruin your reputation though.

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<e3683d01-6fd5-42bc-a19a-1da929a601b3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11393&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11393

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 22:37 UTC

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 3:16:15 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:
> On 23/03/2023 15:07, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:22:53 +0000, JAB <no...@nochance.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I realise that dev studios have to raise cash from somewhere but NFT's,
> >> really. I particularly liked this quote.
> >>
> >> "Now, with advancements made within blockchain, we can forge a new
> >> universe deeply imbued with our expertise in player agency and autonomy,
> >> empowering players to engage in new ways."
> >>
> >> https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/eve-onlines-developers-are-making-a-blockchain-game-in-the-eve-universe
> >
> > At this point, you have to wonder... why?
> >
> > Do they really think that THIS block-chain game will be any more
> > successful than the rest of the failures?
> >
> > Or do they just hope to swoop in, scam the stupid who still believe in
> > crypto out of a few hundred billion, and then walk away. Do they
> > consider it akin to mining a cesspit for lost diamonds?
> >
> > Sadly, I fear it's the latter.
> >

> Tricky to know although the large chunk of change that was invested with
> them may have clouded their judgement.
>
> If I had to guess I'd also go with the latter as I find it hard to
> believe that any game dev's (even if they are cryptobros) really think a
> NFT game can be a success, at least in the sense of a game, given the
> push back given by gamers. It's a good way to ruin your reputation though..

Does EO have a reputation besides being the most expensive game to play?

- Justisaur

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<cf372ipnj0oi7hlef9gqg24vfvtjv80qif@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11401&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11401

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:11:32 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 01:11 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>Does EO have a reputation besides being the most expensive game to play?

Its only expensive if you want to have fun. ;-)

Years back, I gave EVE Online a try, so take my opinion with a grain
of salt; I don't know how much things have changed since then. The
game itself was interesting, and even moderately fun. Its expansive
world, largely controlled by the dictates of the playerbase, was
intriguing to explore, and the core gameplay - even for somebody who
only bought the cheapest monthly access - was entertaining... but only
for a while. It was - unsurprisingly - quite grindy and the risk of
losing all your progress at any moment because you landed in the
sights of some grumpy newb-killer was a pressure I didn't really want
from my game. To really enjoy the game, you have to join with a
faction and, yes, invest a lot of time to get to the big battles and
escapades that make the news.

But money isn't really necessary; in fact, a lot of people played the
game for freed by trading in-game currency for real-money (I forget
the details) that paid for their subscriptions. But that method
required you to risk your in-game investments, which is why we often
hear about people losing $10,000 spaceships. It's not that they paid
that much for the ship with real cash - most earned them the 'hard
way' in-game - but that's how much the ships were valued.

Still, the whole experience was just too grindy, cliquey and niche for
me. It's called a 3D spreadsheet game for a reason; you really need to
learn the ins and outs of all the mechanics, and the values of all the
items and actions, and do a cost-effectiveness summary of it all if
you ever want to get anywhere. And while that is fun for some (and
more power to them) it wasn't for me.

TL;DR; it wasn't the /monetary/ cost of the game that drove me away
from EVE Online.

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<9165886a-12aa-4a5f-a542-543e7542b419n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11418&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11418

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 12:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 19:06 UTC

On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 6:11:50 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Does EO have a reputation besides being the most expensive game to play?
> Its only expensive if you want to have fun. ;-)
>
> Years back, I gave EVE Online a try, so take my opinion with a grain
> of salt; I don't know how much things have changed since then. The
> game itself was interesting, and even moderately fun. Its expansive
> world, largely controlled by the dictates of the playerbase, was
> intriguing to explore, and the core gameplay - even for somebody who
> only bought the cheapest monthly access - was entertaining... but only
> for a while. It was - unsurprisingly - quite grindy and the risk of
> losing all your progress at any moment because you landed in the
> sights of some grumpy newb-killer was a pressure I didn't really want
> from my game. To really enjoy the game, you have to join with a
> faction and, yes, invest a lot of time to get to the big battles and
> escapades that make the news.
>
> But money isn't really necessary; in fact, a lot of people played the
> game for freed by trading in-game currency for real-money (I forget
> the details) that paid for their subscriptions. But that method
> required you to risk your in-game investments, which is why we often
> hear about people losing $10,000 spaceships. It's not that they paid
> that much for the ship with real cash - most earned them the 'hard
> way' in-game - but that's how much the ships were valued.
>
> Still, the whole experience was just too grindy, cliquey and niche for
> me. It's called a 3D spreadsheet game for a reason; you really need to
> learn the ins and outs of all the mechanics, and the values of all the
> items and actions, and do a cost-effectiveness summary of it all if
> you ever want to get anywhere. And while that is fun for some (and
> more power to them) it wasn't for me.

I do like me some spreadsheets, and I like space combat sims. That
almost sounds fun, but I'm not a fan of grindy. A little grindy is fine,
but when it gets to a certain point it really turns me off.

It sounds a bit like Warframe's model, only they avoid the too grindy if
you keep your eyes open and try different things for a long long time.
It eventually gets there though, but long after you've got so much out
of the game that it felt worth it to get to that point. It does allow you
to grind/make things for real money, or buy stuff with real money too.
It doesn't have the sub cost though. Similarly I probably had like
$500-$1000 worth of equipment/upgrades but I only spent a measly
$40 or $50 on it, partly out of guilt for getting so much content without
otherwise paying for it.

Unlike EO I can't lose any of that. It also doesn't feel cliquey to me,
which is probably the last thing that turns me off.

Between the possibility of loosing progress with real world $ value,
PVP, grind, and the clique' feel that's 4 strikes.

- Justisaur

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<u03j46$pioj$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11423&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11423

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:00:50 +0100
 by: JAB - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:00 UTC

On 27/03/2023 23:37, Justisaur wrote:
> On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 3:16:15 AM UTC-7, JAB wrote:

>>> At this point, you have to wonder... why?
>>>
>>> Do they really think that THIS block-chain game will be any more
>>> successful than the rest of the failures?
>>>
>>> Or do they just hope to swoop in, scam the stupid who still believe in
>>> crypto out of a few hundred billion, and then walk away. Do they
>>> consider it akin to mining a cesspit for lost diamonds?
>>>
>>> Sadly, I fear it's the latter.
>>>

>> Tricky to know although the large chunk of change that was invested with
>> them may have clouded their judgement.
>>
>> If I had to guess I'd also go with the latter as I find it hard to
>> believe that any game dev's (even if they are cryptobros) really think a
>> NFT game can be a success, at least in the sense of a game, given the
>> push back given by gamers. It's a good way to ruin your reputation though.
>
> Does EO have a reputation besides being the most expensive game to play?

Never played it myself but my understanding is that it has a rather
loyal fanbase that are highly invested in the game.

Re: Eve Online the NFT version

<u04lo4$10aef$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11432&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11432

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 18:51:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ross Ridge - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 18:51 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>But money isn't really necessary; in fact, a lot of people played the
>game for freed by trading in-game currency for real-money (I forget
>the details) that paid for their subscriptions.

That isn't as practical as it used to be. I've played EVE Online off
and on since 2009, and its gotten a lot harder to earn enough in-game
currency to pay a monthly subscription. Part of that is down to the
recent increase the base monthly subscription price from $15 to $25,
but thw long-term price trend was been pushing up the cost before that.
When I started playing, a 30-day subscription cost only 200M ISK
(InterStellar Kredits, the in-game currency), now it's 2.5B ISK.

(And before anyone blames the inevitable "mudflation" that all MMOs
supposedly suffer from, I'd point out that for most of EVE Online's 20
year history in-game prices overall had remained steady. A few years ago
though they started mucking with the economy in ways that have upended
prices, though mostly in a way that makes players poorer.)

Despite that you can still play EVE Online completely for free without
paying a cent if you want. You're limitted to just an "Alpha" account,
with some pretty severe limitations on what ships you can fly, but
you can still do a fair amount of stuff in the game. You can join a
null-sec corporation (guild) living in the "no rules" part of the game
world, get some free ships they'll handout and risk almost nothing.
Even as a newbie you can join a fleet of 200 ships and help defend your
corporation's space (or attack someone else's), maybe even get into one
those epic 6000 ship battles you hear of from time to time.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca