From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game: Neurodeck
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:45:20 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:45 UTC

My generosity knows no bounds; here's ANOTHER free game. Ignore the
publisher behind the curtain. It's me, me, me! ;-)

And what free game do we get today? Well, let me tell you; it's:

* Neurodeck: The Game
https://www.gog.com/en/game/neurodeck_psychological_deckbuilder
It's a deckbuilding game. An Indie deckbuilding game. Build cards then
"battle" them against one another. The cards represent phobias and
various other psychological ailments. Bleh. I hate deckbuilder games,
but apparently they're popular. I blame the Pokemons. No reason why;
just seemed the thing to do.

If you think deckbuilders are popular for a good reason, grab it
within 72 hours and this masterpiece is yours. If not, come join me on
my terrace and where we can all yell at the young'uns daring to step
on the lawn.

Re: Free Game: Neurodeck

<tvkncs$1osrp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11362&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11362

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game: Neurodeck
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 11:41:46 -0600
 by: rms - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 17:41 UTC

>* Neurodeck: The Game

Got em all, thx spalls!

rms

Re: Free Game: Neurodeck

<5ttr1ipj9hjvv1s9u9b1j454e5pe7p7odh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11363&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11363

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 14:22:53 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 19:22 UTC

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 10:45:20 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>My generosity knows no bounds; here's ANOTHER free game. Ignore the
>publisher behind the curtain. It's me, me, me! ;-)
>
>And what free game do we get today? Well, let me tell you; it's:
>
>* Neurodeck: The Game
>https://www.gog.com/en/game/neurodeck_psychological_deckbuilder
>It's a deckbuilding game. An Indie deckbuilding game. Build cards then
>"battle" them against one another. The cards represent phobias and
>various other psychological ailments. Bleh. I hate deckbuilder games,
>but apparently they're popular. I blame the Pokemons. No reason why;
>just seemed the thing to do.
>
>If you think deckbuilders are popular for a good reason, grab it
>within 72 hours and this masterpiece is yours. If not, come join me on
>my terrace and where we can all yell at the young'uns daring to step
>on the lawn.

Dude, deckbuilders have been popular since Magic: The Gathering in 1993.

Not that I disagree. I played some Kazaak in KotOR, but that's about it.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Free Game: Neurodeck

<6d54e687-ab81-4e39-b411-ee9ddd2a7c64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11388&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11388

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:24:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 22:24 UTC

On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 7:45:43 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> My generosity knows no bounds; here's ANOTHER free game. Ignore the
> publisher behind the curtain. It's me, me, me! ;-)
>
> And what free game do we get today? Well, let me tell you; it's:
>
> * Neurodeck: The Game
> https://www.gog.com/en/game/neurodeck_psychological_deckbuilder
> It's a deckbuilding game. An Indie deckbuilding game. Build cards then
> "battle" them against one another. The cards represent phobias and
> various other psychological ailments. Bleh. I hate deckbuilder games,
> but apparently they're popular. I blame the Pokemons. No reason why;
> just seemed the thing to do.
>
> If you think deckbuilders are popular for a good reason, grab it
> within 72 hours and this masterpiece is yours. If not, come join me on
> my terrace and where we can all yell at the young'uns daring to step
> on the lawn.

Damn, missed it. I was too busy playing games to check here over the
weekend. Oh well. Nothing of value was lost.

I don't really understand the appeal of deckbuilders. I don't mind it
so much, but cards are the computer/randomizer of card/board
games. Why not just have a sim of the thing the cards represent
instead of the cards?

I mean, I don't have an onscreen typewriter when I'm typing things
into games. Most computer games don't have dice show up on
screen when you attack and do damage, etc. There's a reason for
that. It sets you one level of abstraction further away, removing
immersion.

I can see it if you want to play a particular card game, like Magic
or board/card game like Talisman. Most of these aren't based
on a game that was a card game previously. I suppose I can see
it if they're simulating a card game to release, or along side an
actual card game I guess?

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game: Neurodeck

<6e572ihosbgm7idtkh80o1okjfvtg5itv8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11403&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11403

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:42:14 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 01:42 UTC

On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>I don't really understand the appeal of deckbuilders. I don't mind it
>so much, but cards are the computer/randomizer of card/board
>games. Why not just have a sim of the thing the cards represent
>instead of the cards?
>
>I mean, I don't have an onscreen typewriter when I'm typing things
>into games. Most computer games don't have dice show up on
>screen when you attack and do damage, etc. There's a reason for
>that. It sets you one level of abstraction further away, removing
>immersion.
>
>I can see it if you want to play a particular card game, like Magic
>or board/card game like Talisman. Most of these aren't based
>on a game that was a card game previously. I suppose I can see
>it if they're simulating a card game to release, or along side an
>actual card game I guess?

Honestly, most games just use 'cards' as representative of what might
otherwise be called "spells" or "buffs" or "powers" in other games. In
those other games, those abilities are gained by grinding XP or being
attached to weapons scrounged in the dungeons; in 'deckbuilders', you
just happen to find 'cards'. But mechanically, they aren't that
different; trigger the power/card and something magical happens, then
either wait for it to recharge or find a replacement. Whether its a
card or a magic scroll, it works pretty much the same.

Still, even aware of this, I don't like them. But that's for reasons
that have nothing to do with how they're used in game. Rather, the
underlying cause is an emotional reaction tied to how MtG dominated
table-top gaming scene in the early 90s. It displaced my own sacred
cow, the tabletop RPG. It's completely ridiculous and irrational; an
ancient grudge that I still happily nuture three decades later, just
because I can. ;-)

Re: Free Game: Neurodeck

<f41cf118-4492-41a0-829c-f276d9aee03fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11417&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11417

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:11 UTC

On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 6:42:32 PM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:24:08 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
> <just...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Still, even aware of this, I don't like them. But that's for reasons
> that have nothing to do with how they're used in game. Rather, the
> underlying cause is an emotional reaction tied to how MtG dominated
> table-top gaming scene in the early 90s. It displaced my own sacred
> cow, the tabletop RPG. It's completely ridiculous and irrational; an
> ancient grudge that I still happily nuture three decades later, just
> because I can. ;-)

Oh I get that. Even though I played MtG, and Everquest, they both
had an impact on availability of people, and while I enjoyed them,
I never enjoyed them as much as D&D and felt somewhat the same.
MtG doesn't seem that big a thing anymore, but I don't think it's
sucking people away from D&D in a long long time.

Now I barely play, and only online. Kids put a huge damper in my
D&D time, my issues with post WotC D&D and lack of people who
want to play 'old school' put it in the hospital, and Covid put it on
life support.

- Justisaur