If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you probably missed some.

computers / comp.sys.mac.apps / Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolWally J
+* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolCarlos E. R.
> [...]
|     |  `* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolDave Roya
|     |   `- Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolJörg Lorenz
|     `* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolAlan Browne
|      +* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolLarry Wolff
|      |`* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolBradley
|      | `- Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolCarlos E. R.
|      `- Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolCarlos E. R.
`* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolJörg Lorenz
 `* Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolCarlos E. R.
  +- Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolWally J
  `- Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocolJörg Lorenz

Pages:12
Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1114&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1114

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 16:05:38 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 20:05 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>> Not at all.� Apple's system is not a walled garden.� More like an
>> exclusive country club where you get more but can also go anywhere off
>> of the club you want.
>
> The point is that *here* there are only 21% of iPhones, so those users
> have to get out of their walled garden to talk with the people, 80% of
> which are on Android. So, they don't use iMessages.

Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).

But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktk43cFbr24U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1116&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1116

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 22:21:48 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 21:21 UTC

On 2023-12-09 21:05, Wally J wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
>>> Not at all.  Apple's system is not a walled garden.  More like an
>>> exclusive country club where you get more but can also go anywhere off
>>> of the club you want.
>>
>> The point is that *here* there are only 21% of iPhones, so those users
>> have to get out of their walled garden to talk with the people, 80% of
>> which are on Android. So, they don't use iMessages.
>
> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>
> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.

That is not so.

Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
expensive, or is being phased out.

So yes, we do have problems and we do complain.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<lv5dN.7529$83n7.2713@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1118&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1118

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 17:04:00 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 22:04 UTC

On 2023-12-09 16:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-12-09 21:05, Wally J wrote:
>> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>>> The point is that *here* there are only 21% of iPhones, so those users
>>> have to get out of their walled garden to talk with the people, 80% of
>>> which are on Android. So, they don't use iMessages.
>>
>> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on
>> Android, and
>> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
>> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>>
>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>
> That is not so.
>
> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
> expensive, or is being phased out.

MMS has no additional cost here but may contribute to the user's monthly
bandwidth plan limit.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul3eds$2hfbu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1121&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1121

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 00:22:20 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:22 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
>> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
>> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>>
>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>
> That is not so.
>
> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
> expensive, or is being phased out.
>
> So yes, we do have problems and we do complain.

Hi Carlos,

I think I understood you but I don't think you understood me yet.
Maybe I am wrong though - so here's my always sensible logical path...

Look at it logically.
You complain about messaging, right? I don't. Right?
What's the difference?

*We're both on Android, right?*

I have absolutely zero issues communicating with iOS users.
You do.

*So the problem isn't Android.*

The problem (as I understand it) is you have to pay for MMS and I don't.

*But that has _nothing_ to do with Android.*

Nobody on Android is complaining because of Android.
You are complaining about the way you're billed for MMS.

That's different.
--
*Why are only some people having trouble with carrier messaging?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/6gFYKyubHy4>

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul3ehp$2hff1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1122&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1122

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 00:24:25 -0400
References: <uzSdnWmqnpcGVO74nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@supernews.com> <ul0tg0$23uaj$1@dont-email.me> <OXudnduARo6AYu74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com> <ktie3jFsufbU1@mid.individual.net> <wMZcN.9273$7sbb.9229@fx16.iad> <ktji9pF8ae9U1@mid.individual.net> <k62dN.536$IfLe.309@fx36.iad> <ktjueoFbr26U3@mid.individual.net> <ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ktk43cFbr24U1@mid.individual.net> <lv5dN.7529$83n7.2713@fx18.iad>
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:24 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>>
>> That is not so.
>>
>> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
>> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
>> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
>> expensive, or is being phased out.
>
> MMS has no additional cost here but may contribute to the user's monthly
> bandwidth plan limit.

I have no problems using carrier messaging even as many of my own family
members are on iOS. Yet others need messaging to be improved. Why?

What's the fundamental problem?

1. I am aware that due to the fee structure in many places in Europe,
WhatsApp & RCS is useful to circumvent imposed carrier costs.

But that, in and of itself, has _nothing_ per se to do with Android.

2. I am also aware that iOS users see colored bubbles, which, for some
rather strange reason, seems to bother them - but they're iOS users.

What's the problem on Android that needs to be solved in messaging?

There are two ways to look at that question, which are fundamental:
A. What's the problem when Android users interact with Android users?
B. What's the problem when Android users interact with iOS users?

If there's a problem, why don't I experience it interacting with both?

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul40s4$2kjad$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1123&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1123

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:37:07 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:37 UTC

On 09.12.23 21:05, Wally J wrote:
> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).

Bullshit. In the US more than 50% of the installed base are iPhones.
Hence the discussion here which in most other regions of the world are
absolutely irrelevant.

> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.

Even more bullshit. Apple devices have their own software and systems.
Android not. That is the reason why Google tries to spread such an
inferior chat tool like RCS. The American market is the driving force
idiot. And stop try to spread FUD and lies.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul40ua$2kjad$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1124&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1124

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:38:18 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:38 UTC

On 09.12.23 22:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-12-09 21:05, Wally J wrote:
>> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>>> The point is that *here* there are only 21% of iPhones, so those users
>>> have to get out of their walled garden to talk with the people, 80% of
>>> which are on Android. So, they don't use iMessages.
>>
>> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
>> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
>> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>>
>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>
> That is not so.
>
> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
> expensive, or is being phased out.
>
> So yes, we do have problems and we do complain.

I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul40vb$2kjad$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1125&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1125

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:38:51 +0100

On 09.12.23 23:04, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-12-09 16:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-12-09 21:05, Wally J wrote:
>>> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>>> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on
>>> Android, and
>>> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
>>> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>>>
>>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>>
>> That is not so.
>>
>> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
>> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
>> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
>> expensive, or is being phased out.
>
> MMS has no additional cost here but may contribute to the user's monthly
> bandwidth plan limit.

In advanced markets MMS does not exist anymore.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktlonhFolo2U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1126&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1126

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:20:01 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:20 UTC

On 2023-12-10 05:24, Wally J wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

> What's the problem on Android that needs to be solved in messaging?
>
> There are two ways to look at that question, which are fundamental:
> A. What's the problem when Android users interact with Android users?
> B. What's the problem when Android users interact with iOS users?

For me, no photos or any multimedia content, just plain text, unless
they use WhatsApp.

> If there's a problem, why don't I experience it interacting with both?

You have free MMS. I don't.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktlos7Folo2U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1127&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1127

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:22:31 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:22 UTC

On 2023-12-10 10:38, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 09.12.23 22:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-12-09 21:05, Wally J wrote:
>>> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>>> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
>>> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
>>> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>>>
>>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>>
>> That is not so.
>>
>> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
>> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
>> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
>> expensive, or is being phased out.
>>
>> So yes, we do have problems and we do complain.
>
> I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.

Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch to
WhatsApp.

It is the same issue in both directions.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktlov6Folo2U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1128&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1128

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:24:06 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:24 UTC

On 2023-12-10 10:37, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 09.12.23 21:05, Wally J wrote:
>> Carlos brings up the valid points that most of the world is on Android, and
>> most of the world seems to use WhatsApp (which is the same as iMessage
>> anyway, in terms of needing to connect to a middleman mothership server).
>
> Bullshit. In the US more than 50% of the installed base are iPhones.
> Hence the discussion here which in most other regions of the world are
> absolutely irrelevant.

It is relevant for me, who don't live in the USA.

>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>
> Even more bullshit. Apple devices have their own software and systems.
> Android not. That is the reason why Google tries to spread such an
> inferior chat tool like RCS. The American market is the driving force
> idiot. And stop try to spread FUD and lies.

Bullshit. :-P

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<g0jdN.757$IfLe.615@fx36.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1129&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1129

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 08:26:35 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:26 UTC

On 2023-12-10 04:38, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 09.12.23 23:04, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> That is not so.
>>>
>>> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third party
>>> tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient protocols
>>> like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many countries it is
>>> expensive, or is being phased out.
>>
>> MMS has no additional cost here but may contribute to the user's monthly
>> bandwidth plan limit.
>
> In advanced markets MMS does not exist anymore.

You mean in overpriced telecoms markets like Europe. MMS is still very
relevant when out of WiFi range and using the cellco for basic chat with
images and video and not using a 3rd party app.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<n3jdN.758$IfLe.453@fx36.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1130&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1130

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 08:29:54 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:29 UTC

On 2023-12-10 07:22, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-12-10 10:38, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> On 09.12.23 22:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>>
>>> So yes, we do have problems and we do complain.
>>
>> I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.
>
> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
> not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch to
> WhatsApp.

Eh? I send/receive photos and videos to/from people with Android phones
all the time - using basic message service (cell phone). Of course such
is covered in data plans here as part of overall "data" so there are no
ridiculous charges as one may see in Europe and elsewhere.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktma0eFaqjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1132

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: 10 Dec 2023 17:14:54 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:14 UTC

On 2023-12-10, Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-12-10 10:38, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> That is not so.
>>>
>>> Android users have to communicate with iPhone users using third
>>> party tools, like WhatsApp, thats not popular in the USA, or ancient
>>> protocols like SMS, which lack features. Or use MMS, which in many
>>> countries it is expensive, or is being phased out.
>>>
>>> So yes, we do have problems and we do complain.
>>
>> I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.
>
> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
> not send photos or multimedia

No, they can send photos and multimedia.

JR

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul4us2$2jsa7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1134&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1134

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 14:09:07 -0400
References: <uzSdnWmqnpcGVO74nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@supernews.com> <ul0tg0$23uaj$1@dont-email.me> <OXudnduARo6AYu74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com> <ktie3jFsufbU1@mid.individual.net> <wMZcN.9273$7sbb.9229@fx16.iad> <ktji9pF8ae9U1@mid.individual.net> <k62dN.536$IfLe.309@fx36.iad> <ktjueoFbr26U3@mid.individual.net> <ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ktk43cFbr24U1@mid.individual.net> <lv5dN.7529$83n7.2713@fx18.iad> <ul3ehp$2hff1$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ktlonhFolo2U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 18:09 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>> What's the problem on Android that needs to be solved in messaging?
>>
>> There are two ways to look at that question, which are fundamental:
>> A. What's the problem when Android users interact with Android users?
>> B. What's the problem when Android users interact with iOS users?
>
> For me, no photos or any multimedia content, just plain text, unless
> they use WhatsApp.
>

>> If there's a problem, why don't I experience it interacting with both?
>
> You have free MMS. I don't.

Hi Carlos,

I'm always trying to understand everyone's problems, logically & sensibly.

Thanks for explaining that which I was aware of but which I don't associate
with "Android" per se, but with the way carriers charge for MMS messages.

I appreciate that patient answer as you know I know about Andy's and your
MMS issues being solved with RCS - but I was trying to figure out why only
the iOS users complained about their messaging app and not Android users.

I can _easily_ agree with you that if the solution to the MMS charges are a
different MMS app (such as Google's recently renamed app with RCS), then
that's a solution which is on Android - even as it's not an Android issue.

I'm all for using all the free capabilities that apps provide us, so I'm
100% with you and Andy and anyone else who wants free MMS who doesn't have
it (where it's never free but it's "bundled" into our service in the USA).

Your answer is helpful in that I am trying to explain to the iKooks that
nobody on Android is complaining about their Android messaging app per se.

It's only the iKooks who complain about it.

What you're complaining about is not that Android doesn't support RCS,
but that Apple doesn't yet support RCS (which is a different thing also).
--
Factual information + logic + sense = intelligent assessments of fact

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul5h5n$2kq3v$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1135&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1135

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:21:28 -0400
References: <uzSdnWmqnpcGVO74nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@supernews.com> <ul0tg0$23uaj$1@dont-email.me> <OXudnduARo6AYu74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com> <ktie3jFsufbU1@mid.individual.net> <wMZcN.9273$7sbb.9229@fx16.iad> <ktji9pF8ae9U1@mid.individual.net> <k62dN.536$IfLe.309@fx36.iad> <ktjueoFbr26U3@mid.individual.net> <ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ktk43cFbr24U1@mid.individual.net> <ul40ua$2kjad$3@dont-email.me> <ktlos7Folo2U2@mid.individual.net> <ktma0eFaqjU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:21 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

>>> I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.
>>
>> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
>> not send photos or multimedia
>
> No, they can send photos and multimedia.

I strive to comprehend the fundamental problems involved - to solve them.

First off, it _is_ the iPhone people doing most of the complaining here.
But, there are _also_ some Android users also complaining about messaging.

As always, I strive to comprehend what the problem set is we're solving.

The Android users' complaint appears to be that Apple doesn't support RCS
yet and some people (those who are charged for MMS messages mostly)
naturally want to send MMS messages via RCS to Apple users. (That's NOT an
Android problem, by the way - that's clearly an iOS problem since there are
already a half dozen free Android messaging apps which support RCS.)

In addition, there are _plenty_ of cross-platform messaging apps which
support sending MMS messages over the Internet such as this Android app.
<https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>'
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTcn1wfmWjU>

So it's not that the Android users can't send MMS for free; it's that they
want to send them to iOS users using either RCS or a different mechanism.

Which means Android has no problem sending those MMS images for free.
It's iOS that can't get them.

Now for the iOS side of the complaints, most of the complaints from the iOS
users appears to be about the color of the bubbles - which is just absurd.

Ignoring the silly color of the bubbles (heck, Android users can set any
conversation or group to any color they want to set them to - which is one
of the many things the utterly primitive iMessages system can't do) what
are the iOS users complaining about if it's NOT that they can't get the MMS
messages from Android users who want to send them for free via RCS?

Other than silly bubble colors, why are iOS users complaining so much here?

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul5h8f$2kq5n$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1136&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1136

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:22:56 -0400
References: <uzSdnWmqnpcGVO74nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@supernews.com> <ul0tg0$23uaj$1@dont-email.me> <OXudnduARo6AYu74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com> <ktie3jFsufbU1@mid.individual.net> <wMZcN.9273$7sbb.9229@fx16.iad> <ktji9pF8ae9U1@mid.individual.net> <k62dN.536$IfLe.309@fx36.iad> <ktjueoFbr26U3@mid.individual.net> <ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ktk43cFbr24U1@mid.individual.net> <ul40ua$2kjad$3@dont-email.me> <ktlos7Folo2U2@mid.individual.net> <n3jdN.758$IfLe.453@fx36.iad>
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:22 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
>> not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch to
>> WhatsApp.
>
> Eh? I send/receive photos and videos to/from people with Android phones
> all the time - using basic message service (cell phone). Of course such
> is covered in data plans here as part of overall "data" so there are no
> ridiculous charges as one may see in Europe and elsewhere.

If I understand the problem set from Carlos & Andy Burns, it's NOT an
Andrloid problem - but - it _is_ an iOS inability to handle protocols.

Android users can send free MMS via RCS but iOS users can't receive them.
Whose fault is that?

In so many ways the primitive iMessages server system can't do the simplest
of things which Android has had for a very long time - where RCS is one.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul5ikc$2ks82$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1137&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1137

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:46:21 -0400
References: <uzSdnWmqnpcGVO74nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@supernews.com> <ul0tg0$23uaj$1@dont-email.me> <OXudnduARo6AYu74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com> <ktie3jFsufbU1@mid.individual.net> <wMZcN.9273$7sbb.9229@fx16.iad> <ktji9pF8ae9U1@mid.individual.net> <k62dN.536$IfLe.309@fx36.iad> <ktjueoFbr26U3@mid.individual.net> <ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ul40s4$2kjad$2@dont-email.me> <ktlov6Folo2U3@mid.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 23:46 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>> Bullshit. In the US more than 50% of the installed base are iPhones.
>> Hence the discussion here which in most other regions of the world are
>> absolutely irrelevant.
>
> It is relevant for me, who don't live in the USA.

Hi Carlos,
Please don't take anything jughead Lorenze says as if it were well thought
out. He's upset because the primitive iMessages system can't do this stuff.
<https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>'
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTcn1wfmWjU>
>>> But even those on Android in the US have no problem communicating with
>>> iPhone users; it's always mainly the iPhone users who complain about it.
>>
>> Even more bullshit. Apple devices have their own software and systems.
>> Android not. That is the reason why Google tries to spread such an
>> inferior chat tool like RCS. The American market is the driving force
>> idiot. And stop try to spread FUD and lies.
>
> Bullshit. :-P

Hi Carlos,

Nobody responds to Alan Baker or Jughead Lorenze if they want to have an
intelligent discussion that would befit an actual adult conversation.

Given iOS messages is nothing different than any Internet messaging
<https://i.postimg.cc/rwyGPpV9/locked-05.jpg> you log into iOS Messages!

*Apple Messages === WhatsApp* (they're the same thing fundamentally)

Clearly Jughead Lorenze isn't aware there are a half dozen Android apps
which support RCS (Jeorg is so ignorant, he only knows of Google's app)...

There are two fundamental ways to send those charge-for-MMS for free:
a. Use the same type of system Apple Messages uses (e.g., WhatsApp)
b. Use the same type of system Google Messags uses (i.e., RCS)

The problem is not on the Android side.
*The problem is on the iOS side.*

All the problems are due to the primitive iOS Messages not supporting even
the most basic of things (e.g., mere colors or reading RCS protocols).

Trust me that I use iOS messaging all the time and it's utter crap.
It's so primitive - it can't even set the color of a conversation.

WTF? *Why do iOS users put up with such primitive software?*(

I've tested _all_ the free messaging systems out there, and none are as
locked in primitive and non functional as the iOS messaging is, Carlos.

In summary, while I have no problem communicating with Android users, I
accept (and understand) that those who are billed for MMS messages would
prefer to use any of the half dozen free apps which support RCS.

Hence, the problem isn't Android.
It's iOS.

Specifically, the iOS platform is so primitive, it can't support common
modern interoperability standards that every other system easily supports.
--
What's new with Apple? Nothing. Apple is all marketing. And no engineering.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktnv0cFbvu1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1138&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1138

From: bef...@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.apps,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 11 Dec 2023 08:19:24 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 08:19 UTC

On 10. Dec 2023 at 13:22:31 CET, ""Carlos E. R."" <robin_listas@es.invalid>
wrote:

> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
> not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch to
> WhatsApp.

Sorry, you are missing something:

Telegram, Signal, Threema for instance.

No WhatsApp over here and still happily communicating (and exchanging
pictures) with lots of Androids :-)

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<kto9p4Fdtm8U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1139&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1139

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:23:16 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:23 UTC

On 2023-12-10 14:29, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2023-12-10 07:22, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.
>>
>> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
>> not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch
>> to WhatsApp.
>
> Eh?  I send/receive photos and videos to/from people with Android phones
> all the time - using basic message service (cell phone).  Of course such
> is covered in data plans here as part of overall "data" so there are no
> ridiculous charges as one may see in Europe and elsewhere.

In Europe, and probably the entire world excep NA, iphone users can not
send photos to android users using imessage.

Two reasons: if MMS is available, it is expensive. And in several
countries or providers, MMS has been removed.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<kto9rsFdtm8U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1140&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1140

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:24:44 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:24 UTC

On 2023-12-10 18:14, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-12-10, Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think this is a fair statement. iPhone users do not complain.
>>
>> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
>> not send photos or multimedia
>
> No, they can send photos and multimedia.

Not in Europe, not probably in most of the world. Not using imessages.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ktoa2eFdtm8U4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1141&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1141

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.apps,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 12:28:14 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 11:28 UTC

On 2023-12-11 09:19, Bernd Froehlich wrote:
> On 10. Dec 2023 at 13:22:31 CET, ""Carlos E. R."" <robin_listas@es.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
>> not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch to
>> WhatsApp.
>
> Sorry, you are missing something:
>
> Telegram, Signal, Threema for instance.

Certainly, but we are talking of their native messaging tool that they
are so happy about, imessages.

As I said, two reasons: in Europe, and probably most of the world except
NA, MMS which is used to send photos to non Apple users is expensive or
has been removed, it is not even available.

> No WhatsApp over here and still happily communicating (and exchanging
> pictures) with lots of Androids :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<WQEdN.12224$7sbb.6717@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1142&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1142

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:16:21 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:16 UTC

[AAA]____________

> In Europe, and probably the entire world excep NA, iphone users can not
> send photos to android users using imessage.
>
> Two reasons: if MMS is available, it is expensive. And in several
> countries or providers, MMS has been removed.

Well, can't help that, and yes I noted the ridiculous charges. [AAA]

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul75n1$2s16f$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1143&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1143

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:18:10 -0400
References: <uzSdnWmqnpcGVO74nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@supernews.com> <ul0tg0$23uaj$1@dont-email.me> <OXudnduARo6AYu74nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com> <ktie3jFsufbU1@mid.individual.net> <wMZcN.9273$7sbb.9229@fx16.iad> <ktji9pF8ae9U1@mid.individual.net> <k62dN.536$IfLe.309@fx36.iad> <ktjueoFbr26U3@mid.individual.net> <ul2hai$2batc$1@paganini.bofh.team> <ktk43cFbr24U1@mid.individual.net> <ul40ua$2kjad$3@dont-email.me> <ktlos7Folo2U2@mid.individual.net> <n3jdN.758$IfLe.453@fx36.iad> <kto9p4Fdtm8U2@mid.individual.net>
 by: Wally J - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:18 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

>> Eh?� I send/receive photos and videos to/from people with Android phones
>> all the time - using basic message service (cell phone).� Of course such
>> is covered in data plans here as part of overall "data" so there are no
>> ridiculous charges as one may see in Europe and elsewhere.
>
> In Europe, and probably the entire world excep NA, iphone users can not
> send photos to android users using imessage.
>
> Two reasons: if MMS is available, it is expensive. And in several
> countries or providers, MMS has been removed.

Sensible logic...

a. Free or not-free MMS is a carrier problem, and not Android, per se.

b. Android has a half-dozen modern free RCS-enabled apps to send MMS free.

c. It's iOS' problem that it is too primitive to _receive_ modern RCS.

Only iOS has the problem. As always. iOS is primitive. A closed system.

Re: Beeper Mini: Latest Android app to emulate iMessage protocol

<ul76t3$2s2qi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1144&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#1144

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,comp.sys.mac.apps,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:38:27 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 14:38 UTC

Bernd Froehlich <befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote

>> Yes, they do, when they want to communicate with Android users and can
>> not send photos or multimedia, unless they ditch iMessages and switch to
>> WhatsApp.
>
> Sorry, you are missing something:
>
> Telegram, Signal, Threema for instance.
>
> No WhatsApp over here and still happily communicating (and exchanging
> pictures) with lots of Androids :-)

Bernd,

I'm trying to understand the problem (as I don't have it in the states).

*The main problem appears to be a carrier-imposed fee on 'sending MMS'*
*The other problem appears to be iOS uses a primitive messaging system.*
(Substituted "closed" if you have a visceral dislike to "primitive".)

One part of the problem appears to be...
1. Android users who are charged those fees can send MMS via RCS for free.
2. But iOS users can't receive them (it appears).
3. So in that respect, the problem is on the iOS recipient's side.

Another part of the problem appears to be...
A. Android users who are charged those fees can send MMS via RCS for free.
B. But Android users can't receive them unless they use an RCS messenger.
C. So in that respect, the problem is on the Android recipient's side.

Meanwhile... the third part of the problem appears to be...
a. iOS users can send "things" (e.g., pictures) via their Internet app
b. Which is no different than Telegram, Signal, Threema or WhatsApp
c. The only difference being all iPhones have that proprietary messaging

Is this an accurate summary of the problem set yet?