"Yo baby yo baby yo." -- Eddie Murphy

computers / comp.periphs.printers / Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'

SubjectAuthor
* Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWade Garrett
+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
+* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWolffan
|+* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWade Garrett
||+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
||+* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessPercival John Hackworth
|||+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessDr Eberhard W Lisse
||| `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessPercival John Hackworth
|||  +* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAlan Baker
|||  |`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||  | `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAlan Baker
|||  |  `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||  |   `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAlan Baker
|||  |    `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessLewis
|||  `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAndreas Kohlbach
|||   `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessStuart
|||    `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAndreas Kohlbach
||+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessWolffan
||`- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessAndreas Kohlbach
|`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
| `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelesspaul
|  `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelessnospam
|   `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wirelesspaul
+- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To WirelessBennett Price
`* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Wade Garrett
 +- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Dr Eberhard Lisse
 +- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'nospam
 +* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Wolffan
 |`- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'Dr Eberhard W Lisse
 `* Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!Wade Garrett
  `- Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!Lewis

Pages:12
Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'

<sc6oe3$q0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=112&group=comp.periphs.printers#112

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 07:44:02 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 11:44 UTC

On 7/5/21 9:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>
> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> into the house.
>
> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?

I disconnected the printer from my iMac by removing the USB cable, then
connected the printer to the spare router with an Ethernet cable, and
changed the selected WiFi network on my iMac to that router's network.

The good news:
I was then able to add the printer to my iMac and print to it wirelessly.

The bad news:
I could not print wirelessly from a Chromebook, iPad, or iPhone...none
of which could see the printer when connected to the spare router's
network.

A Dell Windows laptop could see the printer but I could not install a
working printer driver to it so it would not print.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'

<iko7u9Fu1lgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=113&group=comp.periphs.printers#113

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 14:04:24 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard Lisse - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 12:04 UTC

Does

https://www.google.com/search?q=Canon+MF216n+airprint

help, perhaps?

On 08/07/2021 13:44, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...[> The bad news:
> I could not print wirelessly from a Chromebook, iPad, or iPhone...none
> of which could see the printer when connected to the spare router's
> network.
>
> A Dell Windows laptop could see the printer but I could not install a
> working printer driver to it so it would not print.

--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'

<080720210935111746%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=114&group=comp.periphs.printers#114

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 09:35:11 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 8 Jul 2021 13:35 UTC

In article <sc6oe3$q0o$1@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

> The bad news:
> I could not print wirelessly from a Chromebook, iPad, or iPhone...none
> of which could see the printer when connected to the spare router's
> network.

you need airprint for ios devices. most printers in the past 5+ years
have it, and for older printers, you'll need an airprint server on the
network.

> A Dell Windows laptop could see the printer but I could not install a
> working printer driver to it so it would not print.

does canon provide one?

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'

<0001HW.2699D1E30E66746C70000CB8038F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=115&group=comp.periphs.printers#115

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 09:02:27 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers, comp.sys.mac.system
 by: Wolffan - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 13:02 UTC

On 2021 Jul 08, Wade Garrett wrote
(in article <sc6oe3$q0o$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 7/5/21 9:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> > I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
> >
> > I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
> > be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
> > away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
> > into the house.
> >
> > So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>
> I disconnected the printer from my iMac by removing the USB cable, then
> connected the printer to the spare router with an Ethernet cable, and
> changed the selected WiFi network on my iMac to that router's network.
>
> The good news:
> I was then able to add the printer to my iMac and print to it wirelessly.
>
> The bad news:
> I could not print wirelessly from a Chromebook, iPad, or iPhone...none
> of which could see the printer when connected to the spare router's
> network.
>
> A Dell Windows laptop could see the printer but I could not install a
> working printer driver to it so it would not print.

if you have two different networks, a device on one net ain’t gonna see a
device on the other. You would have to change the net that the iPad/whatever
is on for it to see the second net. I suspect that the Dell could see the
printer because it was on the second net. I would recommend connecting the
two routers by Ethernet, and put one into bridge mode, and thereby setting up
just one net.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless RESOLVED- SORTA'

<ikudr9F5eqlU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=116&group=comp.periphs.printers#116

From: nos...@lisse.NA (Dr Eberhard W Lisse)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:22:01 +0200
 by: Dr Eberhard W Lisse - Sat, 10 Jul 2021 20:22 UTC

You may be able to to connect it to the one WiFi and via USB to
the PC on the other from which it is shared. Works on my setup
for a Canon MF8200C and a Mac.

el

On 2021-07-10 15:02 , Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 08, Wade Garrett wrote
> (in article <sc6oe3$q0o$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 7/5/21 9:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>>> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>>>
>>> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
>>> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several rooms
>>> away from where the printer is as that is where the internet cable comes
>>> into the house.
>>>
>>> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>>
>> I disconnected the printer from my iMac by removing the USB cable, then
>> connected the printer to the spare router with an Ethernet cable, and
>> changed the selected WiFi network on my iMac to that router's network.
>>
>> The good news:
>> I was then able to add the printer to my iMac and print to it wirelessly.
>>
>> The bad news:
>> I could not print wirelessly from a Chromebook, iPad, or iPhone...none
>> of which could see the printer when connected to the spare router's
>> network.
>>
>> A Dell Windows laptop could see the printer but I could not install a
>> working printer driver to it so it would not print.
>
> if you have two different networks, a device on one net ain’t gonna see a
> device on the other. You would have to change the net that the iPad/whatever
> is on for it to see the second net. I suspect that the Dell could see the
> printer because it was on the second net. I would recommend connecting the
> two routers by Ethernet, and put one into bridge mode, and thereby setting up
> just one net.

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!

<sch8sg$fg5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=117&group=comp.periphs.printers#117

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 07:26:06 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 11:26 UTC

On 7/8/21 7:44 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 7/5/21 9:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> I want to set up a Canon MF216n Ethernet printer as a wireless printer.
>>
>> I have a spare router to use-- though that router would not be able to
>> be connected to the internet. That's because my gateway is several
>> rooms away from where the printer is as that is where the internet
>> cable comes into the house.
>>
>> So I connect the printer to the router-- then what?
>
> I disconnected the printer from my iMac by removing the USB cable, then
> connected the printer to the spare router with an Ethernet cable, and
> changed the selected WiFi network on my iMac to that router's network.
>
> The good news:
> I was then able to add the printer to my iMac and print to it wirelessly.
>
> The bad news:
> I could not print wirelessly from a Chromebook, iPad, or iPhone...none
> of which could see the printer when connected to the spare router's
> network.
>
> A Dell Windows laptop could see the printer but I could not install a
> working printer driver to it so it would not print.

OP here. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I tried pretty much all of them that fit the parameters of the original
question- plus whatever ones I found online.

Nothing worked- and while it looked like I bricked the spare router when
I set it to bridge mode, I was able to restore it to factory defaults
and manually restore its settings.

I'm giving up on wireless printing from my Ethernet printer.

If I have a real need for wireless, a new printer ain't all that
expensive, especially if I offset some of the cost by selling my current
one on Craigslist.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Re: Convert Ethernet Printer To Wireless-- PROJECT ABANDONED!

<slrnseohd2.2s03.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=118&group=comp.periphs.printers#118

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:37:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:37 UTC

In message <sch8sg$fg5$1@dont-email.me> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> I'm giving up on wireless printing from my Ethernet printer.

It's very simple.

1) Setup your printer
2) Add the printer to a Mac
System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners
3) Click "Share this printer on the network
4) Profit!

And yes, even lesser computer will be able to print to the printer.

> If I have a real need for wireless, a new printer ain't all that
> expensive, especially if I offset some of the cost by selling my current
> one on Craigslist.

I would not be too confident of being able to get any money for an old
printer. It's hard to get any money for a NEW printer.

--
Eliot: Becoming me was the greatest creative project of my life.