From: eri...@hpcalc.org (Eric Rechlin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp48
Subject: Source for HP calculator manuals
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 14:03:18 -0500
 by: Eric Rechlin - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 19:03 UTC

For those who have not yet noticed, I have fairly quietly launched a new
web site for sharing manuals and other books related to HP calculators
at https://literature.hpcalc.org

As of this writing, after more than 2 years of work, I am hosting well
over 1,500 PDF documents totaling about 212,000 pages, taking over 37 GB
of space.

So far, I have personally scanned more than 750 books totaling over
94,000 pages. I scanned and processed all of these at 600 dpi and, with
few exceptions, produced 400 dpi OCR'd PDFs out of them.

Another 543 PDFs came directly from HP, with over 87,000 pages. For the
most part, these were at one point on their web site, but due to various
reorganizations, many of them have since vanished.

About 60 PDFs are original documents provided by the community, and not
scans. Finally, the remaining 160 or so PDFs were based on scans made
by others in the community, and cleaned up and turned into OCR'd PDFs by
me.

I now consider the collection to be substantially complete, with nearly
every English-language manual from HP scanned, and most of the popular
third-party books scanned as well. Over the next few months I expect to
finish scanning all the books already offered to me by others in the
community. My future goals for the site are to continue scanning new
books as I can obtain them, as well as to rescan some of those that were
scanned by others to produce higher quality PDFs. Manuals translated to
other languages have not been a priority for me to seek out, but I have
welcomed them when they have been made available to me.

A big thanks should go to Richard Nelson for lending me most of the
books I scanned, and to Adam Jones who coordinated with me as Richard's
collection was sent to him for resale. Secondarily, another big thanks
should go to Bob Prosperi who lent dozens of additional books to me to
scan. Finally, there are many others who have donated or lent books to
me to scan, ensuring my scanner has stayed warm the last couple years!

Eric

Re: Source for HP calculator manuals

<6f67e030-3abd-472f-bebe-fff51b4260c5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=113&group=comp.sys.hp48#113

Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp48
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 22:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Source for HP calculator manuals
From: ing.mnav...@yahoo.com (mnavarro)
 by: mnavarro - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 05:39 UTC

On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 3:03:23 PM UTC-4, Eric Rechlin wrote:
> For those who have not yet noticed, I have fairly quietly launched a new
> web site for sharing manuals and other books related to HP calculators
> at https://literature.hpcalc.org
>
> As of this writing, after more than 2 years of work, I am hosting well
> over 1,500 PDF documents totaling about 212,000 pages, taking over 37 GB
> of space.
>
> So far, I have personally scanned more than 750 books totaling over
> 94,000 pages. I scanned and processed all of these at 600 dpi and, with
> few exceptions, produced 400 dpi OCR'd PDFs out of them.
>
> Another 543 PDFs came directly from HP, with over 87,000 pages. For the
> most part, these were at one point on their web site, but due to various
> reorganizations, many of them have since vanished.
>
> About 60 PDFs are original documents provided by the community, and not
> scans. Finally, the remaining 160 or so PDFs were based on scans made
> by others in the community, and cleaned up and turned into OCR'd PDFs by
> me.
>
> I now consider the collection to be substantially complete, with nearly
> every English-language manual from HP scanned, and most of the popular
> third-party books scanned as well. Over the next few months I expect to
> finish scanning all the books already offered to me by others in the
> community. My future goals for the site are to continue scanning new
> books as I can obtain them, as well as to rescan some of those that were
> scanned by others to produce higher quality PDFs. Manuals translated to
> other languages have not been a priority for me to seek out, but I have
> welcomed them when they have been made available to me.
>
> A big thanks should go to Richard Nelson for lending me most of the
> books I scanned, and to Adam Jones who coordinated with me as Richard's
> collection was sent to him for resale. Secondarily, another big thanks
> should go to Bob Prosperi who lent dozens of additional books to me to
> scan. Finally, there are many others who have donated or lent books to
> me to scan, ensuring my scanner has stayed warm the last couple years!
>
> Eric

Hi Eric.

Thank you very much for all your hard work and all your amazing contributions to the hp enthusiast community around the world.

I've been using your literature platform and It's great. I can say It is like a dream comes true.

I specially appreciate the fact that every time I go there I find something interesting to read.

Some of those documents were not that easy to get years before.

The platform is very fast to search and download .

The resolution of the scanned documents is excellent too.

All of this together make using your platform a great experience.

:

Re: Source for HP calculator manuals

<u1aa3g$175io$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=114&group=comp.sys.hp48#114

From: nab...@nabru.rocks (nabru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp48
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:26:07 -0300
 by: nabru - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 01:26 UTC

Em 31/03/2023 16:03, Eric Rechlin escreveu:
> For those who have not yet noticed, I have fairly quietly launched a new
> web site for sharing manuals and other books related to HP calculators
> at https://literature.hpcalc.org

You might want to talk to the guys at the Internet Archive, they'd
surely be interested in archiving a copy.

nabru
--
nabru | This PIZZA symbolizes
| MY COMPLETE EMOTIONAL RECOVERY!!
---------^-----------------------------------

Re: Source for HP calculator manuals

<kssk0gFk9ehU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=133&group=comp.sys.hp48#133

From: eri...@hpcalc.org (Eric Rechlin)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp48
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 17:26:07 -0600
 by: Eric Rechlin - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 23:26 UTC

To follow up on my post from eight months ago (see below), I am now
caught up with scanning everything that has been sent to me.

This means I have now scanned around 900 books totaling over 116,000
pages, with the total literature collection containing close to 1,700
PDF documents totaling about 238,000 pages, taking close to 45 GB of space.

More scans will continue to be added in the future, but at a much slower
pace, only as the books are lent or given to me to scan.

Please feel free to look through the list of missing items here, and if
you can help make a scan of any of them possible, please let me know:

https://literature.hpcalc.org/missing

Eric