Mathematicians practice absolute freedom. -- Henry Adams

computers / alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt / Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

SubjectAuthor
* Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a WindowsCommander Kinsey
+* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aPaul Colquhoun
|`* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aCommander Kinsey
| `- Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aPaul Colquhoun
`* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aGraham J
 `* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aCommander Kinsey
  `* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aGraham J
   `* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aCommander Kinsey
    `* Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aGraham J
     `- Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside aCommander Kinsey

1
Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<op.1yp00pvsmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1142&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1142

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Subject: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows
network bridge?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 17:47:03 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 17:47 UTC

I have 1 Windows machine in my house and 7 in the garage. All do a lot of internet access (for Boinc - scientific research over the internet). I'm hitting the limit of my fibre connection 24/7 (32 down 7 up) until such time as I get full fibre (1000 down 220 up). Currently I have no way of seeing the total internet usage of all the machines. The router does show a total value for each machine, but it's not live, it's just a total amount updated once a minute, and I'd have to add them all up and subtract the difference over a period of time. So I had the bright idea of creating a network bridge on the computer in the house. The internet router now only feeds the house computer, and the house computer then has a second ethernet connection to the garage machines. I thought in the task manager I would be able to see each of these two ethernet connections on a seperate graph and easily see the traffic, but the stupid thing just shows total bridge traffic, so for example if a garage
computer uploads at 5 Mbits, I see both up and down on the bridge as 5, if it downloads at 5, I still see the same 5 up and down. I can't even see which direction it's going! Is there a way to make it split them, or an app I can download which will do so? Or a simple router/switch I could place after my ISP router which I can access with a web browser and shows traffic? Anybody know of one with this function? Not too expensive please. I'm thinking under 50 dollars.

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<slrnts3sei.3nclm.newsposter@andor.dropbear.id.au>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1143&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1143

From: newspos...@andor.dropbear.id.au (Paul Colquhoun)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Subject: Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a
Windows network bridge?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 11:05:38 +1100
 by: Paul Colquhoun - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 00:05 UTC

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 17:47:03 -0000, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
| I have 1 Windows machine in my house and 7 in the garage. All do a lot of
| internet access (for Boinc - scientific research over the internet). I'm
| hitting the limit of my fibre connection 24/7 (32 down 7 up) until such
| time as I get full fibre (1000 down 220 up). Currently I have no way of
| seeing the total internet usage of all the machines. The router does show
| a total value for each machine, but it's not live, it's just a total amount
| updated once a minute, and I'd have to add them all up and subtract the
| difference over a period of time. So I had the bright idea of creating a
| network bridge on the computer in the house. The internet router now only
| feeds the house computer, and the house computer then has a second ethernet
| connection to the garage machines. I thought in the task manager I would
| be able to see each of these two ethernet connections on a seperate graph
| and easily see the traffic, but the stupid thing just shows total bridge
| traffic, so for example if a garage computer uploads at 5 Mbits, I see
| both up and down on the bridge as 5, if it downloads at 5, I still see
| the same 5 up and down. I can't even see which direction it's going!
| Is there a way to make it split them, or an app I can download which
| will do so? Or a simple router/switch I could place after my ISP router
| which I can access with a web browser and shows traffic?
| Anybody know of one with this function?
| Not too expensive please. I'm thinking under 50 dollars.

Does your existing router do SNMP? If it does, then some free monitoring
software should be able to give you up/down traffic graphs for each
port. I think that most of them just do 5 minute intervals by default,
but should be able to reduce that if you want.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<tptrnq$1u61a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1144&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1144

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:13:12 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:13 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:
> I have 1 Windows machine in my house and 7 in the garage. All do a lot
> of internet access (for Boinc - scientific research over the internet).
> I'm hitting the limit of my fibre connection 24/7 (32 down 7 up) until
> such time as I get full fibre (1000 down 220 up). Currently I have no
> way of seeing the total internet usage of all the machines. The router
> does show a total value for each machine, but it's not live, it's just a
> total amount updated once a minute, and I'd have to add them all up and
> subtract the difference over a period of time.

[snip]

A Draytek Vigor router will show you the total WAN traffic in a graph
(updated every minute) and on a different page shows you a table of all
the connected devices with figures for up/down traffic per device (by IP
address). Of course they are not cheap - but they do have a wealth of
useful features. But again, figures are updated once per minute.

Alternatively, in your garage replace the switch you have there with a
"managed" switch. This will show you traffic per port - so connect each
of your 7 PCs to a different port (i.e. no other switches involved).
That way the switch (which will need another PC showing to its
management page) to show you the traffic. Worth investigating the
different managed switches and reviewing their specs in detail.

How will you use this information? The figures you already have for
each machine tell you which machines - and hence which specific programs
- are generating the most traffic.

Some programs may have the capability to restrict their own network
usage (e.g. MS OneDrive).

The Vigor router will allow you to throttle each PC individually - that
would ensure that no one machine hogs all the available bandwidth
thereby blocking access for another. What I imagine you want is to
ensure that interactive traffic such as youself working at one PC is not
affected by the other machines. You can also set traffic priorities -
it's called QoS - so that for example VoIP traffic has preference.

--
Graham J

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<op.1yrbpq2pmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1145&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1145

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:35:40 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:35 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 00:05:38 -0000, Paul Colquhoun <newsposter@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 17:47:03 -0000, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
> | I have 1 Windows machine in my house and 7 in the garage. All do a lot of
> | internet access (for Boinc - scientific research over the internet). I'm
> | hitting the limit of my fibre connection 24/7 (32 down 7 up) until such
> | time as I get full fibre (1000 down 220 up). Currently I have no way of
> | seeing the total internet usage of all the machines. The router does show
> | a total value for each machine, but it's not live, it's just a total amount
> | updated once a minute, and I'd have to add them all up and subtract the
> | difference over a period of time. So I had the bright idea of creating a
> | network bridge on the computer in the house. The internet router now only
> | feeds the house computer, and the house computer then has a second ethernet
> | connection to the garage machines. I thought in the task manager I would
> | be able to see each of these two ethernet connections on a seperate graph
> | and easily see the traffic, but the stupid thing just shows total bridge
> | traffic, so for example if a garage computer uploads at 5 Mbits, I see
> | both up and down on the bridge as 5, if it downloads at 5, I still see
> | the same 5 up and down. I can't even see which direction it's going!
> | Is there a way to make it split them, or an app I can download which
> | will do so? Or a simple router/switch I could place after my ISP router
> | which I can access with a web browser and shows traffic?
> | Anybody know of one with this function?
> | Not too expensive please. I'm thinking under 50 dollars.
>

> Does your existing router do SNMP? If it does, then some free monitoring
> software should be able to give you up/down traffic graphs for each
> port. I think that most of them just do 5 minute intervals by default,
> but should be able to reduce that if you want.

It's a Plusnet Hub Two. How do I find if it does SNMP (I don't know what that is)?

What monitoring software do you recommend for monitoring it? All I need is a graph for the throughput of the port. It can all be through one port using the bridge if that makes it easier than two ports to add together.

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<op.1yrbvoegmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1146&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1146

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:39:14 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:39 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:13:12 -0000, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> I have 1 Windows machine in my house and 7 in the garage. All do a lot
>> of internet access (for Boinc - scientific research over the internet).
>> I'm hitting the limit of my fibre connection 24/7 (32 down 7 up) until
>> such time as I get full fibre (1000 down 220 up). Currently I have no
>> way of seeing the total internet usage of all the machines. The router
>> does show a total value for each machine, but it's not live, it's just a
>> total amount updated once a minute, and I'd have to add them all up and
>> subtract the difference over a period of time.
>
> [snip]
>
> A Draytek Vigor router will show you the total WAN traffic in a graph
> (updated every minute) and on a different page shows you a table of all
> the connected devices with figures for up/down traffic per device (by IP
> address). Of course they are not cheap - but they do have a wealth of
> useful features. But again, figures are updated once per minute.
>
> Alternatively, in your garage replace the switch you have there with a
> "managed" switch. This will show you traffic per port - so connect each
> of your 7 PCs to a different port (i.e. no other switches involved).
> That way the switch (which will need another PC showing to its
> management page) to show you the traffic. Worth investigating the
> different managed switches and reviewing their specs in detail.

That would work. I could also stick the switch in the house so all traffic goes through it including the house computer.

Any managed switch? Or a particular make? I'm probably thinking a 2nd hand one from Ebay.

> How will you use this information? The figures you already have for
> each machine tell you which machines - and hence which specific programs
> - are generating the most traffic.

I know what's generating traffic, the same program on every machine. CMS for the Large Hadron Collider. But I want a graph of total usage, so I can see if the internet is what's throttling the work.

> Some programs may have the capability to restrict their own network
> usage (e.g. MS OneDrive).
>
> The Vigor router will allow you to throttle each PC individually - that
> would ensure that no one machine hogs all the available bandwidth
> thereby blocking access for another. What I imagine you want is to
> ensure that interactive traffic such as youself working at one PC is not
> affected by the other machines. You can also set traffic priorities -
> it's called QoS - so that for example VoIP traffic has preference.

I'm not concerned about that, I just want to see how mcuh the current traffic is, so when something is computing slowly, I can watch the traffic live and see if it's golding things up.

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<tpu5uc$1vfh4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1147&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1147

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:07:22 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:07 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:

[snip]

>> Alternatively, in your garage replace the switch you have there with a
>> "managed" switch.  This will show you traffic per port - so connect each
>> of your 7 PCs to a different port (i.e. no other switches involved).
>> That way the switch (which will need another PC showing to its
>> management page) to show you the traffic.  Worth investigating the
>> different managed switches and reviewing their specs in detail.
>
> That would work.  I could also stick the switch in the house so all
> traffic goes through it including the house computer.

No. You will need a separate Ethernet cable for each port from the
switch to the PC. Unless you want to run 7 or more cables from the
house to the garage ????

> Any managed switch?  Or a particular make?  I'm probably thinking a 2nd
> hand one from Ebay.

Look for HP 2512 or HP2626 or ask again here ...

--
Graham J

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<op.1yrgl0almvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1148&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1148

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:21:26 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:21 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:07:22 -0000, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Alternatively, in your garage replace the switch you have there with a
>>> "managed" switch. This will show you traffic per port - so connect each
>>> of your 7 PCs to a different port (i.e. no other switches involved).
>>> That way the switch (which will need another PC showing to its
>>> management page) to show you the traffic. Worth investigating the
>>> different managed switches and reviewing their specs in detail.
>>
>> That would work. I could also stick the switch in the house so all
>> traffic goes through it including the house computer.
>
> No. You will need a separate Ethernet cable for each port from the
> switch to the PC. Unless you want to run 7 or more cables from the
> house to the garage ????

I'm not going to now (see below), but out of interest, why not from the switch in the house, one cable to the existing unmanaged switch in the garage, and monitor all the traffic out of the managed switch's single port to the garage? Or does it monitor by IP address?

>> Any managed switch? Or a particular make? I'm probably thinking a 2nd
>> hand one from Ebay.
>
> Look for HP 2512 or HP2626 or ask again here ...

Sorted it myself. If anyone's interested - performance monitor still monitors the two connections in the bridge seperately. It may be possible to display it in there, but since I already use MSI Afterburner, I can import it into there. I now have a seperate graph for each of:

Upload from any machine to internet
Download from internet to any machine
(These two are important so I can easily see if it's causing a bottleneck getting or sending data required for all the CPUs to be busy)

Upload from garage machines to internet (or to the house machine which is rare unless I'm installing stuff or transferring files)
Download from the internet (or from the house machine which is rare unless I'm installing stuff or transferring files) to garage machines

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<tpuk9i$218gk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1149&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1149

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:12:15 +0000
 by: Graham J - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:12 UTC

Commander Kinsey wrote:

[snip]

>>> That would work.  I could also stick the switch in the house so all
>>> traffic goes through it including the house computer.
>>
>> No.  You will need a separate Ethernet cable for each port from the
>> switch to the PC.  Unless you want to run 7 or more cables from the
>> house to the garage ????
>
> I'm not going to now (see below), but out of interest, why not from the
> switch in the house, one cable to the existing unmanaged switch in the
> garage, and monitor all the traffic out of the managed switch's single
> port to the garage?  Or does it monitor by IP address?

Learn how managed switches work.

They work by monitoring the traffic per port. So you must have only one
device per port. With your suggestion the port connecting to the garage
switch will show the aggregate traffic for all the devices in the
garage, which may be useful but apparently not what you want.

However if you use a Vigor router the traffic is analysed per MAC
address - because the router has to build a NAT table to route traffic
from the WAN to the correct device on the LAN. Of course every router
does this in order to implement NAT - but most don't use it to show you
the traffic.

--
Graham J

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<op.1yrr59zpmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1150&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1150

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:31:11 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:31 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:12:15 -0000, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> No. You will need a separate Ethernet cable for each port from the
>>> switch to the PC. Unless you want to run 7 or more cables from the
>>> house to the garage ????
>>
>> I'm not going to now (see below), but out of interest, why not from the
>> switch in the house, one cable to the existing unmanaged switch in the
>> garage, and monitor all the traffic out of the managed switch's single
>> port to the garage? Or does it monitor by IP address?
>
> Learn how managed switches work.
>
> They work by monitoring the traffic per port. So you must have only one
> device per port. With your suggestion the port connecting to the garage
> switch will show the aggregate traffic for all the devices in the
> garage, which may be useful but apparently not what you want.

Contrarywise, it's exactly what I want. Looking for total internet usage.

If I wanted it per machine, I can just interrogate each machine.

> However if you use a Vigor router the traffic is analysed per MAC
> address - because the router has to build a NAT table to route traffic
> from the WAN to the correct device on the LAN. Of course every router
> does this in order to implement NAT - but most don't use it to show you
> the traffic.

Re: Monitoring activity level of individual connections inside a Windows network bridge?

<slrnts70g9.d1aq.newsposter@andor.dropbear.id.au>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1151&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1151

From: newspos...@andor.dropbear.id.au (Paul Colquhoun)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer.workshop
Windows network bridge?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 15:33:13 +1100
 by: Paul Colquhoun - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 04:33 UTC

On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:35:40 -0000, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
| On Sat, 14 Jan 2023 00:05:38 -0000, Paul Colquhoun <newsposter@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
| |> On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 17:47:03 -0000, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
|> | I have 1 Windows machine in my house and 7 in the garage. All do a lot of
|> | internet access (for Boinc - scientific research over the internet). I'm
|> | hitting the limit of my fibre connection 24/7 (32 down 7 up) until such
|> | time as I get full fibre (1000 down 220 up). Currently I have no way of
|> | seeing the total internet usage of all the machines. The router does show
|> | a total value for each machine, but it's not live, it's just a total amount
|> | updated once a minute, and I'd have to add them all up and subtract the
|> | difference over a period of time. So I had the bright idea of creating a
|> | network bridge on the computer in the house. The internet router now only
|> | feeds the house computer, and the house computer then has a second ethernet
|> | connection to the garage machines. I thought in the task manager I would
|> | be able to see each of these two ethernet connections on a seperate graph
|> | and easily see the traffic, but the stupid thing just shows total bridge
|> | traffic, so for example if a garage computer uploads at 5 Mbits, I see
|> | both up and down on the bridge as 5, if it downloads at 5, I still see
|> | the same 5 up and down. I can't even see which direction it's going!
|> | Is there a way to make it split them, or an app I can download which
|> | will do so? Or a simple router/switch I could place after my ISP router
|> | which I can access with a web browser and shows traffic?
|> | Anybody know of one with this function?
|> | Not too expensive please. I'm thinking under 50 dollars.
|>

|> Does your existing router do SNMP? If it does, then some free monitoring
|> software should be able to give you up/down traffic graphs for each
|> port. I think that most of them just do 5 minute intervals by default,
|> but should be able to reduce that if you want.
| | It's a Plusnet Hub Two. How do I find if it does SNMP (I don't know what that is)?

Sadly, from what I could find on-line, it does not support SNMP
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Network-Monitor-Plusnet-Hub-Two/td-p/1891820

SNMP is Simple Network Monitoring Protocol (although I wouldn't call it
'simple'). It lets you read (and sometimes set) values remotely, like
bytes in/out of a network interface.

See https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/snmp/
and https://listoffreeware.com/free-snmp-manager-software-windows/