If you think the system is working, ask someone who's waiting for a prompt.

computers / comp.sys.mac.advocacy / Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro

SubjectAuthor
* Screen shutting off on M2 Mac ProMuahMan
+* Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac ProAlan
|`* Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac ProMuahMan
| `- Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac ProAlan
`- Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac ProJohn

1
Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro

<87e9b7f4-0199-494c-a4f6-284d2cbd5c54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11491&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11491

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 08:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro
From: muah...@gmail.com (MuahMan)
 by: MuahMan - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 15:56 UTC

Under Preferences in Screen Saver area it is set to 30 minutes, why is my screen shutting off in 2? Does OS X have a Power Settings area I'm missing? When the screens shuts off I get kicked from my Azure domain controllers. Dang it!!!

Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro

<tffrne$13cjp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11496&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11496

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 10:04:44 -0700
 by: Alan - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 17:04 UTC

On 2022-09-09 08:56, MuahMan wrote:
> Under Preferences in Screen Saver area it is set to 30 minutes, why
> is my screen shutting off in 2? Does OS X have a Power Settings area
> I'm missing? When the screens shuts off I get kicked from my Azure
> domain controllers. Dang it!!!

Is there a yellow warning triangle next to the time you set for the
screen saver? Then look to "Energy Saver" to set the time until the
display turns off to a longer time than you have set for the screen
saver to activate (and why 30 minutes until screen saver? Do you really
go for half an hour just looking at your screen, and never touching a
control?), and further, that the "Prevent your Mac from automatically
sleeping when the display is off" is checked.

And dont' forget roubleshooting 101, Pratt-fall:

What people forget is that UI elements that both show a setting and
allow you to change aren't like physical switches.

A simple light switch has "on" and "off" positions, and if the switch is
"on" and the light isn't, then the safe assumption is that the bulb is
at fault.

An "on/off" slider on a computer is a representation of the state of
something within some program's logic, and the representation can show
"On" without the underlying logic actually matching.

Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro

<jy6dnX_wTK3M3oD-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11500&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11500

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 19:09:21 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: nos...@nospam.com (John)
 by: John - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 02:09 UTC

On 9/9/2022 8:56 AM, MuahMan wrote:
> Under Preferences in Screen Saver area it is set to 30 minutes, why is my screen shutting off in 2? Does OS X have a Power Settings area I'm missing? When the screens shuts off I get kicked from my Azure domain controllers. Dang it!!!

If it is on battery power default preferences allow the display to be on
only a couple of minutes.

Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro

<350b0355-b49b-4575-927c-5b97375fe472n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11502&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11502

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 19:19:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: muah...@gmail.com (MuahMan)
 by: MuahMan - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 02:19 UTC

On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 1:04:48 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
> On 2022-09-09 08:56, MuahMan wrote:
> > Under Preferences in Screen Saver area it is set to 30 minutes, why
> > is my screen shutting off in 2? Does OS X have a Power Settings area
> > I'm missing? When the screens shuts off I get kicked from my Azure
> > domain controllers. Dang it!!!
> Is there a yellow warning triangle next to the time you set for the
> screen saver? Then look to "Energy Saver" to set the time until the
> display turns off to a longer time than you have set for the screen
> saver to activate (and why 30 minutes until screen saver? Do you really
> go for half an hour just looking at your screen, and never touching a
> control?), and further, that the "Prevent your Mac from automatically
> sleeping when the display is off" is checked.
>

> And dont' forget roubleshooting 101, Pratt-fall:
>
> What people forget is that UI elements that both show a setting and
> allow you to change aren't like physical switches.
>
> A simple light switch has "on" and "off" positions, and if the switch is
> "on" and the light isn't, then the safe assumption is that the bulb is
> at fault.
>
> An "on/off" slider on a computer is a representation of the state of
> something within some program's logic, and the representation can show
> "On" without the underlying logic actually matching.

That was it. It was under battery. TY

Re: Screen shutting off on M2 Mac Pro

<tfl2k7$2045d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11508&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#11508

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 09:33:10 -0700
 by: Alan - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 16:33 UTC

On 2022-09-10 19:19, MuahMan wrote:
> On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 1:04:48 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
>> On 2022-09-09 08:56, MuahMan wrote:
>>> Under Preferences in Screen Saver area it is set to 30 minutes, why
>>> is my screen shutting off in 2? Does OS X have a Power Settings area
>>> I'm missing? When the screens shuts off I get kicked from my Azure
>>> domain controllers. Dang it!!!
>> Is there a yellow warning triangle next to the time you set for the
>> screen saver? Then look to "Energy Saver" to set the time until the
>> display turns off to a longer time than you have set for the screen
>> saver to activate (and why 30 minutes until screen saver? Do you really
>> go for half an hour just looking at your screen, and never touching a
>> control?), and further, that the "Prevent your Mac from automatically
>> sleeping when the display is off" is checked.
>>

>> And dont' forget roubleshooting 101, Pratt-fall:
>>
>> What people forget is that UI elements that both show a setting and
>> allow you to change aren't like physical switches.
>>
>> A simple light switch has "on" and "off" positions, and if the switch is
>> "on" and the light isn't, then the safe assumption is that the bulb is
>> at fault.
>>
>> An "on/off" slider on a computer is a representation of the state of
>> something within some program's logic, and the representation can show
>> "On" without the underlying logic actually matching.
>
> That was it. It was under battery. TY

No worries.