"Plastic gun. Ingenious. More coffee, please." -- The Phantom comics

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Re: please answer this one question more....

SubjectAuthor
* please answer this one question more....Thaddæus Eckard
+* Re: please answer this one question more....Anonymous Remailer
|`* Re: please answer this one question more....Nomen Nescio
| `* Re: please answer this one question more....Nomen Nescio
|  +- Re: please answer this one question more....Yamn Remailer
|  `* Re: please answer this one question more....Anonymous
|   `* Re: please answer this one question more....Alex de Joode
|    `- Re: please answer this one question more....sam
+- Re: please answer this one question more....Nomen Nescio
`* Re: please answer this one question more....Grant Taylor
 `- Re: please answer this one question more....Stefan Claas

1
please answer this one question more....

<dbbac0e5-5f90-4a30-837c-d13d2526f785n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11475&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11475

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 07:33:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: please answer this one question more....
From: class.wa...@gmail.com (Thaddæus Eckard)
 by: Thaddæus Eckard - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 15:33 UTC

Please answer me this one question more:

In your own individual opinion(s), is it a bad idea for me to run a nymserver from my home if I live in the U.S.?

Thad

Re: please answer this one question more....

<20220202.194130.e4450b4c@mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11479&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11479

Subject: Re: please answer this one question more....
From: remai...@domain.invalid (Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 19:41:30 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 19:41 UTC

On 2/2/2022 9:33 AM, Thaddæus Eckard wrote:

> Please answer me this one question more:
>
> In your own individual opinion(s), is it a bad idea for me to run a nymserver from my home if I live in the U.S.?
>
> Thad

Everything running through a Nymserver would be encrypted.

The only overt risk I can think of would be running an exit remailer.
But that would be true in any country.

God we need another Nymserver!!!!!

Re: please answer this one question more....

<8372ea8d7d06c81eb2b3e9d0f6029006@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11481&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11481

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 21:23:42 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:23 UTC

In article <20220202.194130.e4450b4c@mixmin.net> Anonymous Remailer
<remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On 2/2/2022 9:33 AM, Thaddæus Eckard wrote:
>
> > Please answer me this one question more:
> >
> > In your own individual opinion(s), is it a bad idea for me to run a nymserver from my home if I live in the U.S.?
> >
> > Thad
>

> Everything running through a Nymserver would be encrypted.
>
> The only overt risk I can think of would be running an exit remailer.
> But that would be true in any country.

A nym server isn't less exposed than an exit remailer.
Both send messages directly to their final destination(s).

Re: please answer this one question more....

<eeadbdd6afd317e3fa874f55c4e6b5d2@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11484&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11484

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 23:34:59 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 22:34 UTC

On 02/02/2022 Nomen Nescio wrote:
> A nym server
> send messages directly to their final destination

You are wrong.
A nym server send messages through a reply-block
made up of several remailer (not directly).

Re: please answer this one question more....

<f1ff6c526640f275b13f7ca6ac2460da@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11485&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11485

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 23:55:06 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 22:55 UTC

On 02/02/2022 Thadd�us Eckard wrote:
> is it a bad idea for me to run a nymserver
> from my home if I live in the U.S.?

I think it is not possible unless you are a
government agent.
Government will come to your home and will
force you to reveal password or to compromise
the server.
You can only think what happened to Assange
or Snowden.

Re: please answer this one question more....

<20220203.022443.6bb12c4e@mix1.remailer.xyz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11486&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11486

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 02:24:43 +0100
From: nore...@mix1.remailer.xyz (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 01:24 UTC

On 2/2/2022 4:34 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> On 02/02/2022 Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> A nym server
>> send messages directly to their final destination
>
> You are wrong.
> A nym server send messages through a reply-block
> made up of several remailer (not directly).

That is correct.

Re: please answer this one question more....

<ac5623bc2829745ac169bff5efbcd4eb@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11491&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11491

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 07:59:28 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 06:59 UTC

Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>On 02/02/2022 Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> A nym server
>> send messages directly to their final destination
>
>You are wrong.
>A nym server send messages through a reply-block
>made up of several remailer (not directly).

Wrong. It doesn't make a difference whether a bomb thread is sent
through an exit remailer or a nymserver. In both cases the service
provider is exposed risking to get raided, whereas the unknown original
sender is safe.

Re: please answer this one question more....

<nnd$62e43bb3$1935bc10@c9051ad718ee8ef3>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11493&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11493

From: usu...@kpn.xs4all.nl (Alex de Joode)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:50:09 +0100
 by: Alex de Joode - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 11:50 UTC

nobody@remailer.paranoici.org sez:
: Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
:
:>On 02/02/2022 Nomen Nescio wrote:
:>> A nym server
:>> send messages directly to their final destination
:>
:>You are wrong.
:>A nym server send messages through a reply-block
:>made up of several remailer (not directly).
:
: Wrong. It doesn't make a difference whether a bomb thread is sent
: through an exit remailer or a nymserver. In both cases the service
: provider is exposed risking to get raided, whereas the unknown original
: sender is safe.

You normally get an email if you have more information about the sender.

--
Alex de Joode

Re: please answer this one question more....

<fksnvg9v4npa73pjmtmsp9q93b1p492nmq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11497&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11497

From: sam...@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 09:20:17 -0600
 by: sam...@invalid.com - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:20 UTC

On Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:50:09 +0100, Alex de Joode
<usura@kpn.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>nobody@remailer.paranoici.org sez:
>: Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>:
>:>On 02/02/2022 Nomen Nescio wrote:
>:>> A nym server
>:>> send messages directly to their final destination
>:>
>:>You are wrong.
>:>A nym server send messages through a reply-block
>:>made up of several remailer (not directly).
>:
>: Wrong. It doesn't make a difference whether a bomb thread is sent
>: through an exit remailer or a nymserver. In both cases the service
>: provider is exposed risking to get raided, whereas the unknown original
>: sender is safe.
>
>You normally get an email if you have more information about the sender.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/FBI-Pays-Visit-to-Austrian-Remailer-in-Connection-to-Bomb-Threats-266582.shtml

On April 24, FBI representatives in charge of investigating the bomb
threats made against the University of Pittsburgh paid a visit to an
Austrian anonymous remailer provider whose services may have been
utilized by the criminal.

This comes after last week US authorities seized Riseup Networks’
server that hosted the Mixmaster anonymity service.

“Today, the police arrived with a court order that allowed them to
create a forensic disk image of the austria remailer. This apparently
was on request of the US authorities, related to the Pittsburgh bomb
threats,” Christian Mock said. “Therefore, I had to destroy any
existing keys and create new keys.”

Furthermore, Mock believes that the agents may have installed a
backdoor on the machine. He stated that the entire system would be
reinstalled, but that it might take a few weeks before he could
complete the task.

“The remailer's private keys are compromised, so any message that was
encrypted to those keys can be decrypted, *if* it was intercepted in
the form it reached the austria remailer,” he explained.

Many of the service’s users were astonished by the incident, but this
just comes to highlight the powers of US authorities worldwide.

Even the owner of the remailer seems to be surprised of the police’s
visit, especially since the service’s purpose is to help those that
need anonymity for legitimate purposes, not criminals.

“We don't have cops kicking in our doors at dawn; in fact, this is the
first physical visit of police at the hosting site. Most of the police
contact is by mail or phone, where I politely explain to them what a
remailer is and what it is for and how it works and that therefore,
there's not any bit of evidence to be had, and they politely thank
me,” Mock revealed.

Re: please answer this one question more....

<sth187$vb8$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11498&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11498

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 09:52:33 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 16:52 UTC

On 2/2/22 8:33 AM, Thaddæus Eckard wrote:
> is it a bad idea for me to run a nymserver from my home if I live in
> the U.S.?

As an email administrator, it seems like you will have a significant up
hill battle getting messages originating (as seen by the receiving email
server) from residential Internet connections.

Is it technically possible? Probably. (Some ISPs will filter traffic
associated with the SMTP port (TCP/25).)

Will it function? Maybe.

Will it be viable? I wouldn't hold my breath.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: please answer this one question more....

<193e4a4e-c57e-4c44-bb78-c83d8aa18f9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11499&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#11499

Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 09:48:50 -0800 (PST)
From: spam.tra...@gmail.com (Stefan Claas)
 by: Stefan Claas - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 17:48 UTC

On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 5:52:25 PM UTC+1, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 2/2/22 8:33 AM, Thaddæus Eckard wrote:
> > is it a bad idea for me to run a nymserver from my home if I live in
> > the U.S.?
> As an email administrator, it seems like you will have a significant up
> hill battle getting messages originating (as seen by the receiving email
> server) from residential Internet connections.
>
> Is it technically possible? Probably. (Some ISPs will filter traffic
> associated with the SMTP port (TCP/25).)
>
> Will it function? Maybe.
>
> Will it be viable? I wouldn't hold my breath.

I like to add to this, in the past I run a Mixmaster Remailer,
on a Raspberry Pi at home, and signed up-with a German
service to obtain a static IP address, via a secure tunnel
connection, and the service was reliable and not blacklisted
by email services. If the OP has such an option in his area
it is maybe worth to check out.

Regards
Stefan