From: nospam.J...@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: UTF-8 Characters
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 08:24:03 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:24 UTC

Hello Mr. g00r00,

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I thought I would ask anyway.
It appears that if someone uses an iOS device to post a message on Synchronet's
web interface, the punctuation appears a little funky on Mystic boards (or even
on Synchronet boards if using a terminal that doesn't support UTF-8).

Synchronet with SyncTerm:
https://i.imgur.com/OMszRdU.png

Synchronet with PuTTY;
https://i.imgur.com/BCZp9dm.png

Mystic w/ SyncTerm:
https://ibb.co/ZgQgw4P

Just curious if UTF-8 support is on the roadmap for Mystic & Netrunner?

Jay

.... If everything seems easy, you have obviously overlooked something.

Re: UTF-8 Characters

<2739424785@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1167

From: nospam.J...@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: UTF-8 Characters
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:13:43 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 23:13 UTC

On 02 Apr 2022, g00r00 said the following...

g0> Are you asking for Mystic to try to convert UTF8 to various DOS
g0> codepages for messages with a UTF8 kludge on terminals that aren't UTF8?

I guess I don't know the "best" way to solve this, whether that would be
Syncronet's web interface converting the text to DOS codepages, Mystic
converting it to DOS codepages or having a terminal that displays the intended
characters (or a combination of these).

Here's another example that was posted with what looks like cyrillic text that
ended up looking funky:

As displayed via Mystic & Netrunner:
https://ibb.co/3yZrCJh

As it appears on Synchronet's web interface:
https://ibb.co/0BjPbZG

Direct link to message:
http://vert.synchro.net/?page=001-forum.ssjs&sub=fsx_gen&thread=93768#93855

Jay

.... My inferiority complexes aren't as good as yours.

Re: UTF-8 Characters

<499048705@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1168&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1168

From: nospam.g...@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 10:02:46 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:02 UTC

JH> Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I thought I would ask
JH> anyway. It appears that if someone uses an iOS device to post a message
JH> on Synchronet's web interface, the punctuation appears a little funky on
JH> Mystic boards (or even on Synchronet boards if using a terminal that
JH> doesn't support UTF-8).

I am assuming its saved as a UTF-8 message since it contains UTF-8 characters,
so Mystic is displaying the UTF8.

Are you asking for Mystic to try to convert UTF8 to various DOS codepages for
messages with a UTF8 kludge on terminals that aren't UTF8? Mystic does convert
to UTF8 and but not the other way around although I could add that.

.... There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't

Re: UTF-8 Characters

<4009062265@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1169&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1169

From: nospam.g...@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 13:35:03 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 01:35 UTC

JH> Here's another example that was posted with what looks like cyrillic
JH> text that ended up looking funky:

You will need a UTF-8 terminal to view UTF-8 for the most part. If you are in
a CP437 font/mode and there is UTF-8 it often cannot be displayed or converted
back to the current codepage. For example a CP437 terminal like NetRunner
would not have the cyrillic characters since they are not part of CP437, so it
cannot covert UTF-8 to CP437 in that case.

I do have a better "solution" to these types of things that I did a couple
years back, but its a lot of work to move it into the code so I just haven't
yet. I really should do it soon though.

.... What was the best thing before sliced bread?