Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -- Voltaire

computers / comp.sys.mac.misc / Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

SubjectAuthor
* How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in SmartDudley Brooks
`* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart FolderDoc O'Leary ,
 +* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inJolly Roger
 |`* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inDudley Brooks
 | `* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inJolly Roger
 |  `* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inDudley Brooks
 |   `- Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inJolly Roger
 `* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inDudley Brooks
  `* Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button inJolly Roger
   `* A new problem: can't Save, because can't scroll, was Re: How to getDudley Brooks
    `- Re: A new problem: can't Save, because can't scroll, was Re: How toDudley Brooks

1
How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5t25d$1is1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1161&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1161

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart
Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 10:12:11 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 17:12 UTC

I haven't created any new Smart Folders in a long time, and have
forgotten the details of the process.

I tried to create a new one today and, after wasting time trying to
figure out how to include "OR" in the search field, I realized that I
should just do "Show Search Criteria" on a previous Smart Folder. Duh!

I discovered, of course, that I had used "[Any] of the following are true".

But I can't remember how I got that button to appear! And, so far, I
haven't found it by trial-and-error and haven't found it mentioned on
any online help page or in Mac Help.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5tqc3$1lho3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1162&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1162

From: droleary...@2023.impossiblystupid.com (Doc O'Leary ,)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 00:05:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Doc O'Leary , - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 00:05 UTC

For your reference, records indicate that
Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

> I discovered, of course, that I had used "[Any] of the following are true".
>
> But I can't remember how I got that button to appear! And, so far, I
> haven't found it by trial-and-error and haven't found it mentioned on
> any online help page or in Mac Help.

With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+” for
each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of nesting
you're looking for.

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<kefb2gF5ecaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1163&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1163

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: 9 Jun 2023 00:46:08 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 00:46 UTC

On 2023-06-09, Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@2023.impossiblystupid.com> wrote:
> For your reference, records indicate that
> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
>
>> I discovered, of course, that I had used "[Any] of the following are
>> true".
>>
>> But I can't remember how I got that button to appear! And, so far, I
>> haven't found it by trial-and-error and haven't found it mentioned on
>> any online help page or in Mac Help.
>
> With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+” for
> each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of nesting
> you're looking for.

BTW, you can find this in the Finder's built-in help. Choose Help >
macOS help from the Finder menu bar, then search for "finder search" and
click the "Narrow your search results on Mac" topic. Under "Add criteria
to a search", it's step 6. 😉

JR

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5tvk8$1lv9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1164&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1164

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 18:35:02 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 01:35 UTC

On 6/8/23 5:05 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:

> For your reference, records indicate that
> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
>
>> I discovered, of course, that I had used "[Any] of the following are true".
>>
>> But I can't remember how I got that button to appear! And, so far, I
>> haven't found it by trial-and-error and haven't found it mentioned on
>> any online help page or in Mac Help.
>
> With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+” for
> each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of nesting
> you're looking for.

Fantastic! I never knew you could do *nested* Booleans. I've been
wishing for that for years ... and it was there all the time! (Or at
least since whenever it was introduced.) Now I won't have to do even
the very few elaborate workarounds I successfully came up with!

Thanks!

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5tvnk$1lv9d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1165&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1165

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 18:36:52 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 01:36 UTC

On 6/8/23 5:46 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2023-06-09, Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@2023.impossiblystupid.com> wrote:

>> For your reference, records indicate that
>> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I discovered, of course, that I had used "[Any] of the following are
>>> true".
>>>
>>> But I can't remember how I got that button to appear! And, so far, I
>>> haven't found it by trial-and-error and haven't found it mentioned on
>>> any online help page or in Mac Help.
>>
>> With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+” for
>> each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of nesting
>> you're looking for.
>
> BTW, you can find this in the Finder's built-in help. Choose Help >
> macOS help from the Finder menu bar, then search for "finder search" and
> click the "Narrow your search results on Mac" topic. Under "Add criteria
> to a search", it's step 6. 😉

Yeah. The trouble, as always, is that you have to know *what* to search
for. Since I'd been doing this by clicking New Smart Folder, I didn't
think to look for Saved Searches.

Thanks!

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<keffcgF62e6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1166&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1166

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: 9 Jun 2023 01:59:45 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 01:59 UTC

On 2023-06-09, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
> On 6/8/23 5:46 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> On 2023-06-09, Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@2023.impossiblystupid.com> wrote:
>
>>> For your reference, records indicate that

>>> With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+”
>>> for each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of
>>> nesting you're looking for.
>>
>> BTW, you can find this in the Finder's built-in help. Choose Help >
>> macOS help from the Finder menu bar, then search for "finder search"
>> and click the "Narrow your search results on Mac" topic. Under "Add
>> criteria to a search", it's step 6. 😉
>
> Yeah. The trouble, as always, is that you have to know *what* to
> search for. Since I'd been doing this by clicking New Smart Folder, I
> didn't think to look for Saved Searches.
>
> Thanks!

I'll go you one better: I initially gave up trying to remember out how I
used to do it, and after bumbling around in the UI, threw my hands up in
frustration. It wasn't until Doc answered that it occurred to me to
search for it in the help system. 🤣

I *hate* it when features like this are so hidden that you have a hard
time figuring out how to do them without prior knowledge (and even with
it, if it's been long enough that you've forgotten)!

JR

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<keffdjF62e6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1167

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: 9 Jun 2023 02:00:19 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:00 UTC

On 2023-06-09, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
> On 6/8/23 5:05 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
>
>> For your reference, records indicate that
>> Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I discovered, of course, that I had used "[Any] of the following are true".
>>>
>>> But I can't remember how I got that button to appear! And, so far, I
>>> haven't found it by trial-and-error and haven't found it mentioned on
>>> any online help page or in Mac Help.
>>
>> With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+” for
>> each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of nesting
>> you're looking for.
>
> Fantastic! I never knew you could do *nested* Booleans. I've been
> wishing for that for years ... and it was there all the time! (Or at
> least since whenever it was introduced.) Now I won't have to do even
> the very few elaborate workarounds I successfully came up with!
>
> Thanks!

+1 Thanks, Doc.

JR

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5u2rc$1puug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1168&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1168

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:30:02 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:30 UTC

On 6/8/23 6:59 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2023-06-09, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

>>> BTW, you can find this in the Finder's built-in help. Choose Help >
>>> macOS help from the Finder menu bar, then search for "finder search"
>>> and click the "Narrow your search results on Mac" topic. Under "Add
>>> criteria to a search", it's step 6. 😉
>>
>> Yeah. The trouble, as always, is that you have to know *what* to
>> search for. Since I'd been doing this by clicking New Smart Folder, I
>> didn't think to look for Saved Searches.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I'll go you one better: I initially gave up trying to remember out how I
> used to do it, and after bumbling around in the UI, threw my hands up in
> frustration. It wasn't until Doc answered that it occurred to me to
> search for it in the help system. 🤣
>
> I *hate* it when features like this are so hidden that you have a hard
> time figuring out how to do them without prior knowledge (and even with
> it, if it's been long enough that you've forgotten)!

Yeah. Mac is famous for supposedly making things very easy for the
naive user. But if even sophisticated users have trouble when starting
from quasi-scratch ... I really wonder how true that reputation is.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

A new problem: can't Save, because can't scroll, was Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5u33a$1pvmg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1169&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1169

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: A new problem: can't Save, because can't scroll, was Re: How to get
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:34:16 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:34 UTC

On 6/8/23 7:00 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2023-06-09, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:

>> On 6/8/23 5:05 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:
>>
>>> For your reference, records indicate that

>>> With at least one rule showing, hold down the option key. The “+” for
>>> each item will become a “…”, and that will add the level of nesting
>>> you're looking for.
>>
>> Fantastic! I never knew you could do *nested* Booleans. I've been
>> wishing for that for years ... and it was there all the time! (Or at
>> least since whenever it was introduced.) Now I won't have to do even
>> the very few elaborate workarounds I successfully came up with!
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> +1 Thanks, Doc.

My new entry has so many rows (it's for someone who has *many* names and
stage names and pseudonyms) that I can't see the top frame with the Save
button ... and there's no scrollbar for the top window with all the
search criteria. (There's only a scrollbar for the displayed results.)

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: A new problem: can't Save, because can't scroll, was Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<u5u37h$1pvmg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1170&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1170

From: dbro...@runforyourlife.org (Dudley Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Subject: Re: A new problem: can't Save, because can't scroll, was Re: How to
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 19:36:33 -0700
 by: Dudley Brooks - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 02:36 UTC

On 6/8/23 7:34 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:

> On 6/8/23 7:00 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Fantastic!  I never knew you could do *nested* Booleans.  I've been
>>> wishing for that for years ... and it was there all the time!  (Or at
>>> least since whenever it was introduced.)  Now I won't have to do even
>>> the very few elaborate workarounds I successfully came up with!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> +1 Thanks, Doc.
>
> My new entry has so many rows (it's for someone who has *many* names and
> stage names and pseudonyms) that I can't see the top frame with the Save
> button ... and there's no scrollbar for the top window with all the
> search criteria.  (There's only a scrollbar for the displayed results.)

Forgot to mention: At first, clicking anywhere else brought up the
message "Do you want to save this search". But now even that is not
happening.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!
San Francisco

Re: How to get "[Any/All/None] of the following are true" button in Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)

<kefji3F6lltU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1171&group=comp.sys.mac.misc#1171

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Smart Folder search criteria (OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra)
Date: 9 Jun 2023 03:10:59 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 03:10 UTC

On 2023-06-09, Dudley Brooks <dbrooks@runforyourlife.org> wrote:
> On 6/8/23 6:59 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Yeah. The trouble, as always, is that you have to know *what* to
>>> search for. Since I'd been doing this by clicking New Smart Folder, I
>>> didn't think to look for Saved Searches.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> I'll go you one better: I initially gave up trying to remember out how I
>> used to do it, and after bumbling around in the UI, threw my hands up in
>> frustration. It wasn't until Doc answered that it occurred to me to
>> search for it in the help system. 🤣
>>
>> I *hate* it when features like this are so hidden that you have a hard
>> time figuring out how to do them without prior knowledge (and even with
>> it, if it's been long enough that you've forgotten)!
>
> Yeah. Mac is famous for supposedly making things very easy for the
> naive user. But if even sophisticated users have trouble when starting
> from quasi-scratch ... I really wonder how true that reputation is.

It's mostly true, but there are edge cases.

JR