Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited. -- Ambrose Bierce

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

SubjectAuthor
* Fireworkz Pro savesBarry Punchard
+* Re: Fireworkz Pro savesChris Hughes
|`- Re: Fireworkz Pro savesBarry Punchard
+* Re: Fireworkz Pro savesHarriet Bazley
|`- Re: Fireworkz Pro savesBarry Punchard
`* Re: Fireworkz Pro savesPaul Stewart
 `* Re: Fireworkz Pro savesBarry Punchard
  +* Re: Fireworkz Pro savesChris Hughes
  |`- Re: Fireworkz Pro savesBarry Punchard
  `- Re: Fireworkz Pro savesPaul Stewart

1
Fireworkz Pro saves

<0fdd6a9d59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1152&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1152

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Fireworkz Pro saves
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:32:36 +0200
 by: Barry Punchard - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 19:32 UTC

For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known how to
save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
right window edge somewhere in the middle.

I know how I can save and reopen it to the row I want - by placing the cursor in
the row I want to appear at the bottom of the window when it is saved.

I'm currently using the Pro version 2.24.06 (under VRPC), and have dozens of
databases - none of which displays on opening as I want - except ONE!! The other
day that one kept it's status on saving and I have NO IDEA WHY or what I did.

I still can't find how to do it in the manual or by experimenting. It isn't that
it's desperately important - just so annoying that I don't know. Anyone know the
trick please? TIA & TIA (the Tension Is Agony).
Barry Punchard
--
__ ___
//_)) //__))

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<78f0709d59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1153&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1153

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: Fireworkz Pro saves
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:38:58 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:38 UTC

In message <0fdd6a9d59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

> For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known
> how to
> save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
> What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
> table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
> right window edge somewhere in the middle.

Are you using as a spreadsheet or database?

> I know how I can save and reopen it to the row I want - by placing the
> cursor in
> the row I want to appear at the bottom of the window when it is saved.

> I'm currently using the Pro version 2.24.06 (under VRPC), and have dozens of
> databases - none of which displays on opening as I want - except ONE!! The
> other
> day that one kept it's status on saving and I have NO IDEA WHY or what I did.

Are you doing this in the database view, or simple as a list in the
spreadsheet?

Pro version is now on 2.31 (10 Sep 2021)

> I still can't find how to do it in the manual or by experimenting. It
> isn't that
> it's desperately important - just so annoying that I don't know. Anyone
> know the
> trick please? TIA & TIA (the Tension Is Agony).

Have you tried joining the Fireworkz / Pipedream mailing list, the
programmer reads the list and might be a good source of advise on this.

to join send an email to
colton-software-fireworkz+subscribe@googlegroups.com

Its low traffic.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<c9c1959d59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1155&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1155

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 03:21:07 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 03:21 UTC

On 19 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
Barry Punchard wrote:

> For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known how to
> save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
> What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
> table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
> right window edge somewhere in the middle.

A FireworkzPro document contains a line somewhere near the bottom
reading something like this:

{CmdGroup:{ViewCreate:1104;10912;6096;6368}{ViewControl:100;0;0;0;1;1;0;2048;0;2048}{CurrentPosition:1;104;7;3;0}}

CurrentPosition sets the cursor location on opening the document.
ViewCreate sets the size of the window. I don't know what ViewControl
does.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once.

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<0c1bf59d59.Paul@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1158&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1158

From: narrowbo...@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 20:42:35 GMT
 by: Paul Stewart - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 20:42 UTC

In message <0fdd6a9d59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

> For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known
> how to
> save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
> What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
> table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
> right window edge somewhere in the middle.

> I know how I can save and reopen it to the row I want - by placing the
> cursor in
> the row I want to appear at the bottom of the window when it is saved.

> I'm currently using the Pro version 2.24.06 (under VRPC), and have dozens of
> databases - none of which displays on opening as I want - except ONE!! The
> other
> day that one kept it's status on saving and I have NO IDEA WHY or what I did.

Just tested on an older version of FireWorkz 1.32/06.
Indeed it does save both cursor and window position and re-opens both in
the same position they were closed in.

--
Paul Stewart
Sent from A9home running RISC OS 4.42

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<1fc1349e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1164&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1164

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:17:47 +0200
 by: Barry Punchard - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:17 UTC

On 20 Dec harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk wrote:

> On 19 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
> Barry Punchard wrote:
>
> > For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known how to
> > save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
> > What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
> > table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
> > right window edge somewhere in the middle.
> >
> A FireworkzPro document contains a line somewhere near the bottom
> reading something like this:
>
> {CmdGroup:{ViewCreate:1104;10912;6096;6368}{ViewControl:100;0;0;0;1;1;0;2048;0;2048}{CurrentPosition:1;104;7;3;0}}
>
> CurrentPosition sets the cursor location on opening the document.
> ViewCreate sets the size of the window. I don't know what ViewControl
> does.

Thanks for that, I'll experiment to see if those are subject to the save
process. I would expect that they must be. If not, I will probably just patch
them for my active databases.
Barry

--
__ ___
//_)) //__))
//__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@gmail.com
____________________

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<1d3a349e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1165&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1165

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:12:02 +0200
 by: Barry Punchard - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:12 UTC

On 19 Dec news13@noonehere.co.uk wrote:

> In message <0fdd6a9d59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known
> > how to
> > save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
> > What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
> > table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
> > right window edge somewhere in the middle.
>
> Are you using as a spreadsheet or database?

I use the template Sheet, A4 Portrait, 17.5 cm wide for most accounts.

> > I know how I can save and reopen it to the row I want - by placing the
> > cursor in
> > the row I want to appear at the bottom of the window when it is saved.
>
> > I'm currently using the Pro version 2.24.06 (under VRPC), and have dozens of
> > databases - none of which displays on opening as I want - except ONE!! The
> > other
> > day that one kept it's status on saving and I have NO IDEA WHY or what I did.
>
> Are you doing this in the database view, or simple as a list in the
> spreadsheet?
View is set 150-180%. It behaves as a spreadsheet with complex formulae
and date insertion. Not sure otherwise.

> Pro version is now on 2.31 (10 Sep 2021)
I need to sort out why it isn't displaying the expected version and date. They
are just a week or two apart. But this problem I have on saving layout has been
there for 25 years.

> > I still can't find how to do it in the manual or by experimenting. It
> > isn't that
> > it's desperately important - just so annoying that I don't know. Anyone
> > know the
> > trick please? TIA & TIA (the Tension Is Agony).
>
> Have you tried joining the Fireworkz / Pipedream mailing list, the
> programmer reads the list and might be a good source of advise on this.
>
> to join send an email to
> colton-software-fireworkz+subscribe@googlegroups.com

I have done that, but haven't time to search the through previous threads.
> Its low traffic.

Sorry for delay responding. Things keep cropping up.
Thanks Barry

--
__ ___
//_)) //__))
//__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@gmail.com
____________________

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<7db2359e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1166&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1166

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 10:28:05 +0200
 by: Barry Punchard - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:28 UTC

On 20 Dec narrowboat-paul@outlook.com wrote:

> In message <0fdd6a9d59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known
> > how to
> > save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left it.
> > What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
> > table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with the
> > right window edge somewhere in the middle.
>
> > I know how I can save and reopen it to the row I want - by placing the
> > cursor in
> > the row I want to appear at the bottom of the window when it is saved.
>
> > I'm currently using the Pro version 2.24.06 (under VRPC), and have dozens of
> > databases - none of which displays on opening as I want - except ONE!! The
> > other
> > day that one kept it's status on saving and I have NO IDEA WHY or what I did.
>
> Just tested on an older version of FireWorkz 1.32/06.
> Indeed it does save both cursor and window position and re-opens both in
> the same position they were closed in.

Yes, it does for me, too, on any version. But it does not save the width of
the window. So I save with the window showing the full extent of the width of
the columns; then reopen and the window now reveals only the left hand portion
of the table = about 10.5cm. I then need to pull the window open wider to see
the RHS of the table.

The main reason for asking this now afte all this time, is that I had always
assumed it to be a limitation of the program. But suddenly last week, ny main
account savedjust as I had always wanted it to, but why, what did I sudenly do
differently?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Barry
--
__ ___
//_)) //__))
//__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@gmail.com
____________________

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<326f3d9e59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1167

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:52:36 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:52 UTC

In message <7db2359e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 Dec narrowboat-paul@outlook.com wrote:

>> In message <0fdd6a9d59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
>> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For more than 24 years I've been the user of Fireworkz, but never known
>>> how to
>>> save a spreadsheet so that the view when reopened would be just as I left
>>> it.
>>> What I want is that the window width would extend from the left side of the
>>> table, to just beyond the furthest right column. At present it saves with
>>> the
>>> right window edge somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>> I know how I can save and reopen it to the row I want - by placing the
>>> cursor in
>>> the row I want to appear at the bottom of the window when it is saved.
>>
>>> I'm currently using the Pro version 2.24.06 (under VRPC), and have dozens
>>> of
>>> databases - none of which displays on opening as I want - except ONE!! The
>>> other
>>> day that one kept it's status on saving and I have NO IDEA WHY or what I
>>> did.
>>
>> Just tested on an older version of FireWorkz 1.32/06.
>> Indeed it does save both cursor and window position and re-opens both in
>> the same position they were closed in.
>>
> Yes, it does for me, too, on any version. But it does not save the width of
> the window. So I save with the window showing the full extent of the width of
> the columns; then reopen and the window now reveals only the left hand
> portion
> of the table = about 10.5cm. I then need to pull the window open wider to see
> the RHS of the table.

Just on the off chance it the following. Open your Fireworkz spreadsheet,
Menu over the sheet > view > control

Now see what your display settings are? I suspect you might want 'Full',
apply it and then save and reopen spreadsheet and see if it sticks. It
does here.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<3118499e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1169&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1169

From: barry.pu...@gmail.com (Barry Punchard)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:59:57 +0200
 by: Barry Punchard - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:59 UTC

On 21 Dec news13@noonehere.co.uk wrote:

> In message <7db2359e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
> Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 20 Dec narrowboat-paul@outlook.com wrote:

> >> Just tested on an older version of FireWorkz 1.32/06.
> >> Indeed it does save both cursor and window position and re-opens both in
> >> the same position they were closed in.
> >>
> > Yes, it does for me, too, on any version. But it does not save the width of
> > the window. So I save with the window showing the full extent of the width of
> > the columns; then reopen and the window now reveals only the left hand
> > portion
> > of the table = about 10.5cm. I then need to pull the window open wider to see
> > the RHS of the table.
>
> Just on the off chance it the following. Open your Fireworkz spreadsheet,
> Menu over the sheet > view > control
>
> Now see what your display settings are? I suspect you might want 'Full',
> apply it and then save and reopen spreadsheet and see if it sticks. It
> does here.

Thanks for the suggestion. No that doesn't work for me here on the VRPC. I'll
try it on the Pi and see what happens there. The one that seems to work OK is
set to 'Work Area'.
Barry

--
__ ___
//_)) //__))
//__))arry //unchard mailto:barry.punchard@gmail.com
____________________

Re: Fireworkz Pro saves

<832721a359.Paul@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1190&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1190

From: narrowbo...@outlook.com (Paul Stewart)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:44:43 GMT
 by: Paul Stewart - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:44 UTC

In message <7db2359e59.barry.punchard@barry.gmail.com>
Barry Punchard <barry.punchard@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Just tested on an older version of FireWorkz 1.32/06.
>> Indeed it does save both cursor and window position and re-opens both in
>> the same position they were closed in.
>>
> Yes, it does for me, too, on any version. But it does not save the width of
> the window. So I save with the window showing the full extent of the width of
> the columns; then reopen and the window now reveals only the left hand
> portion
> of the table = about 10.5cm. I then need to pull the window open wider to see
> the RHS of the table.

I maybe misunderstanding here.
Just opened Sheet 1 and resized the window so only showing up to column D
and row 12.

Also opened Sheet 2 and resized the window so only showing up to column G
and row 19.

When both sheets are re-opened they open in same window position and
showing the same qty of columns and rows as when they were saved.